Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom 1901 - rather nice people really?

• 02-12-2004 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

ffs,
    i moved into a house about 2 months ago and have been contemplating getting a phone put in to get broadband.
    i tried a while back but got so pissed off i just gave up.
    the problem stems from previous tenants owing 700 or so on the bill
    nothing to with me but by the way ericom talk to you, youd swear they were the guards
    are you any relation, do you know where he is, etc etc

anyway finally gave in and decided to get the line reactivated
    rang the landlord last night to explain the situatuion.
    she rang eircom this morning and then rang me to say it was all sorted
    gave me an agetns name and the call centre she worked in
    rang up
    10 minutes on hold
    agent i get through to, who is int he same call centre says she cant transfer without an extension number
    i asked could she even check for the other agent as the call was 30 mins previous
    straight up NO
    ok
    rang the landlady back
    ecplained what had happened
    she rang eircom again and this time got an extension number and a name
    so i ring again
    after another ten minutes i hear a click and suddenly im transferred to the out of service repair line recorded message.
    fvckers, hang up and try again
    another 10 minutes
    some moron answers
    me "hi could you put me through to so and so on extension xxxx"
    1901"no, can i help"
    me"no youll just ell me to go to my landlord, i need to speak to her"
    1901"ok, illl try"
    suddenly im on hold
    get through to someone
    me"hello is that soandso"
    1901"no its me again"
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    1901"ill try to help"
    1901"can i get a contact number"
    me "08......"
    1901"engaed tone"

the freaks hung up on me

sorry if im stressed, im never stresed on the phone, i work in a call centre myself , get short breaks and have to deal with idiots
    ive now wasted all my breaks on hold to 1901
    and am no closer to getting a phone line reactivated.

if anyone works for 1901 here you can crawl into a hole and die ive never met such ignorant/idiotic people in my life

anyway back to wotk , ill try again at my next 15 minute break

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have to say, I've never had a pleasant experience with them either. A customer service consultant that came in here to give us a day's training actually rang eircom on speakerphone to demonstrate how NOT to deal with people on the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the best trick i used use when i was working in a call centre was to hang up mid sentence!!! they think they were cut off and wont be as pissed off when they call back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

id understand being cut off if i was being a prick/retard/ignoring obvious solutions but waiting 10 mins then getting cut off before they answer is a bit much

i know what its like when it gets busy and call after calll etc but ffs go to the jacks and hide in a cubilcle for 10 mins if you cant even talk to people

and have a **** there to releave any stress you may be under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

When you call next time begin with 'Please note this call is being recorded as evidence for a possible legal action in the future, now this is how you can help me..'

• Advertisement

ahhhh
    finaly got through to a phone monkey that new how the transfer buttton worked :)
    all seems well
    now to switch to esat
    mwaahhahahah

Lol

ahh jaysus
    i think the world is out to get me

the package i want to sign up for with esat is the only one with the brokensign up process :rolleyes:

anyone know if you can get all the esatbt ofers at once?
    ie
    3 months free bb,
    1 monthe free line rental,
    save 20 euros by ordering online,
    save 30 euros per year with online billing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

impr0v wrote:
    When you call next time begin with 'Please note this call is being recorded as evidence for a possible legal action in the future, now this is how you can help me..'

or in sleepys case this call may be recorded for training purposes :)

lol try their helpline :)

• Advertisement

the effing line isnt suitable for broadband :/
    why in the name of santa is there a broadband wall socket in my house
    and how the f*** did the previous tenants have it ?????

ive ahd enough, anyone got any rope......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

woosaysdan wrote:
    the best trick i used use when i was working in a call centre was to hang up mid sentence!!! they think they were cut off and wont be as pissed off when they call back

thats terrible! :):)

did you ever leave your headset off so that when the call came in the person would just get air.....??

just wondering?

yeah or turn it on and off when talking to them!!! or say hello are you still there??? hello? hello mr. X ok if you can hear me call us back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Is this the 'new' 1901 where it is voice-activated?

"I'll be asking you a few questions. So let's start. Which of these describes the reasons for your call? Sales inquiry? Order update? Bill inquiry? Fault report?
    Telephone book?"

And then you say, "Sales inquiry" and it goes, "I believe you said, Fault report. I will connect you now." If you ever try ringing it about a broadband query, you'll wind up wrapping the phone cord around your neck.

Idiotic service. I told the operator I finally got through to as much and she said everyone who'd spoken to her that day hated it as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

woosaysdan wrote:

The one I saw where a guy wanted to get rid of his girlfriend and cut her off was to pretend he couldn't speak on the phone.

"Hello? Anyone there? Speak up"
    She is screaming on the other end of the phone.
    "Hey mike, come here can you hear anything on this phone?"
    She is still screaming
    "Nope"
    he hangs up.

She rang a different extension of someone else she knew there and he had told her he got transferred and give her a number for dublin zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

that is pure sh**t - hate when you're transfered all over the place and NO ONE can solve your problem grrrrrrrrr! I worked in support centre for one month NEVER AGAIN! How do you guys do it - and stay sain(sp??)??

you just filter out all the crap, turn off your mic and surf boards while working!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

that is pure sh**t - hate when you're transfered all over the place and NO ONE can solve your problem grrrrrrrrr! I worked in support centre for one month NEVER AGAIN! How do you guys do it - and stay sain(sp??)??

It's not bad really... I work in a call centre and I get to have my own little power trips every now and then when some ignorant **** rings in and won't listen to me or my friend commonsense.

Let it be known to non call centre ppl that being rude and abusive will get u nowhere.

except if the people in the call centre are been rude and abusive

woosaysdan wrote:
    but then your gonna get nowhere anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

heh

I'd to do a call back recently, I work for.... *cough* an ISP, ne who he was having problems with his phone line and had been on to 1901, said they were really ignorant, I hear that a lot!

ask to speak to their supervisor!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

woosaysdan wrote:
    and surf boards while working!!!
    amen to that! tho i dont do those nasty tricks to get people off the phone. i just put up with it and smoke alot.

I find that because i'm nice to people and i'm good at my job people don't moan at me... *grin*

In fact some have rang back to compliment me *strikes a pose*

err i never did them either i heard of other people doing it and ahh that where i got the ideas from honest judge

woosaysdan wrote:

Yeah and if that happens yur screwed..... I used to work with one guy who seemed to enjoy getting into arguments with customers over pointless ****... Like if someone said "give me a second to grab a pen", yur man would respond with something "WHHHHHHHY are u calling me asking MEEEEEEE for information and yet u don't have a pen with you. I'MMMMMMM very busy and don't have the time to waste" and so on.... He once put some punter who was calling from another country and who was annoying him on hold for 30 mins and he just dosed in his seat and when he woke up and answered the phone he said "what are u still there!". He was funny he was but didn't last long :)

lol i would of loved to work with him

He was funny... Totally laid back he was but saying about the bad stuff he did, if the person calling in was polite and asked sensible questions and listened to his advice he would go out of his way to help. It was just the stupid ppl that seemed to get on his rag

and are some very stupid people out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

my favourite one with annoying customers was to say "im sorry sir but if you keep using that kind of language ill have to disconnect you" and when they said "WHAT? what do you mean? i didnt curse" id say "sorry but i did warn you to stop cursing" and hang up , if i ever got caught id just say it was a bad line or my headset was knackered and i thought i heard them cursing

yeah my headset was blamed for soo much in the past

woosaysdan wrote:
    and are some very stupid people out there :)

Indeed.... ahem... u forgot "there" in the above sentence.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Ugh, when we were trying to get broadband in, eircom vehemently and repeatedly claimed that our phoneline wasn't suitable for broadband and that it wasn't in our area yet. The fact that we had an line ISDN which cost more made me think, so we got some neighbours to ring up and, strangely, they could be connected to broadband. After explaining this to eircom, they suddenly discovered that they'd been making a mistake all along and we were able to get broadband.
    Wánkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I worked in 1901 for a bit during the summer (few weeks)! I was an excellent monkey though :) In summary i'd say it's half and half what kind of monkey you get. Some people in there would not actually know you can transfer calls.
    Anyway, situation seems to me from how original poster describes it, is that the onus lies on the landlord to pay the remaining bill. You should not have had to ring.

There's two ways to change the name on an account and get the ball rolling. They both get accessed thru a few steps on the system. Division of account, and no division of account.

Div means that the person who the bill gets sent to rings up and says, hey disconnect me, and a final bill gets sent out. Then you, new tenant could ring up, get reconnected etc... fresh start, but you may have to pay 100odd to get connected.

No div, means there is simply a name change on the account and nothing else changes. Like if father transfers to son etc... small/no fee and leaves you with burden of what is owed.

Then there's just a simple reconnection, ie. if the bill is under the landlords name, he pays what is owed and sin é.

It seems from what you desribed that the landlords name is on the account somewhere and that he should have sorted out his mess before he handed over to you.

There should have been no need for you to ring under the circumstances the account seems to have been in.

Doesn't excuse the behaviour of the call answerers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

chump wrote:
    I worked in 1901 for a bit during the summer (few weeks)! I was an excellent monkey though :) In summary i'd say it's half and half what kind of monkey you get. Some people in there would not actually know you can transfer calls. .
    Was this the new place in Citywest by any chance ? I'd say its a 15% chance of getting anyone sentient in that place. Bring back Biddy I say.
    but you may have to pay 100odd to get connected.

Its €25 connection if the line is there and free in Dec and January .
    Then there's just a simple reconnection, ie. if the bill is under the landlords name, he pays what is owed and sin é.

It seems from what you desribed that the landlords name is on the account somewhere and that he should have sorted out his mess before he handed over to you..
    Yep, tis the landlord problem if the bill is in his name.
    There should have been no need for you to ring under the circumstances the account seems to have been in.
    Does sound a tad incompletist .

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

i think the 100odd was for brand new connection
    i don't remember the exact costing... :)

it was in town by the by, around from the gingerman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

ask to speak to their supervisor!!!

In eircom, that does feck all good. Trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

get the line rechecked. I've heard of lines being denied once, then accepted. Try utv clicksliver, you can check your line on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Chalk wrote:
    the effing line isnt suitable for broadband :/
    why in the name of santa is there a broadband wall socket in my house
    A what now? Sounds like you may have an ISDN box there. And that may be why your line is failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

SO many wasted hours on the phone to monkeys! I find that the Esat crowd are ALOT better than those at Eircom. Eircom usually have either old biddies or unenthusiastic students who only want the bit of commision, so at the first sign of trouble they transfer you left right and centre.

A phonecall to 1901 was one of the only times I lost my temper in my life! Im usually a relaxed person but after being on hold for the third time for over 20minutes (each time) and then to discover that the person couldn't help me in any way shape or form was really annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Chalk if your getting grief like that then I find its best to send a mail to the boss. I have Dr. Phil Nolans PA's email in my work email. I will forward the details tomorrow to you in a PM. I suggest you write up a letter in the meantime detailing the shoddy treatment you have gotten using names if you gotten any.

As they say **** trickles :D

nah, its a twin socket, says dsl on one side and phone on the other,
    looks like someone just mounted a filter on the wall.

it seems the broadband is active but when you re activate a voice line woth eircom you never get the old account number, instead they give you another deactivated account number,
    that means when you do the line check it checks the old accont and says bleh f.u. no broadband matey

you gotta wait while they update there systems to link your line and acount number
    sounds plausible to me....

thanks for the offer of the email addy of that guy but i doubt ill be dealing with eircom again for a long time
    once this broadband thing is sorted im shiftin the whole lot to esat tbh

ive rang them a few time and gotten thru within a few minutes and at least gotten through to people who dont sound like theyd sooner strangle you than tell you the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Having dealt with Esat as part of my job in my previous employer all I can say is watch out for their "Accounts Department" experience. It would nearly make you wish for the 1901 treatment LOL!!

Chalk wrote:

you gotta wait while they update there systems to link your line and acount number
    sounds plausible to me....
    Yeah that's true, its updated every tuesday.
    Automated system, unfortunitely no way of speeding up the process.

Advertisement