Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless + Eircom ??

• 02-12-2004 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Having just moved to a new house...I'm looking to get BB up and running. First of all, I had eircom in my last house....and in fairness can't complain about the service or installation. My old PC had more to do with poor performance than their service. They even sent me two modems...kind of inefficiency I like !.

Anyway, the new house. I need to have two PCs connected. Rather than running cables etc...and one of the PCs is upstairs....any experience of the current eircom offering with wireless modems/adaptors ?. Is this a viable alternative to direct connections ?. Does performance suffer with wireless...and sharing ?.

It would appear that...like cars....there are both horror stories and plaudits for all the current providers. Once I'm not being screwed price-wise, I'm not convinced there's a massive difference between them all. I've been following the various threads for ages, and if i was to wait until a consensus emerged as to THE one....I suspect my PC will be long past its sell-by date.

Any views...and/or recommendations...on the wireless option appreciated.

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I got hold of one of Eircom's Netopia routers with wireless from work and used it at home for a bit. It was easy to set up (well, no more difficult then any of the Zyxels or 3Com WAPs I've done in the past) and had a very good range on it. The laptop had Windows 2000 and a 3Com Wireless network card in it and detected the wireless network straight away.
    The Netopia supports 802.11b which should give you something like 4-5Mbps, whereas your Internet connection will only be .5Mpbs, so you shouldn't (and I didn't) notice any difference between wired and wireless for Internet access. Now of course if you want to send files from one PC to the other that's a slightly different story, but most people don't need to do that too often anyway...
    So in answer to your question, yes it's definitely a viable option.

Advertisement