Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with switch

Options
  • 02-12-2004 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

hey lads need some help with my home network,

i have DSL and i want to network this around to my pcs at home using a switch! can i just plug the modem into the switch using a straight through cabel and then just plug all my other pcs into the switch.

its an 8 port STLab NWay Switch.

thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

you can link the dsl router to the switch with a regular network cable. Make sure you connect the cable to the 'up-link' network port on the switch.
    There should be one port on the switch dedicated for 'up-link' purposes. Consult your manual to find out how to up-link....

hey presto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

and if it doesnt specify a port as an uplink port? by regular do you mean straight through or cross over?

thanks

regular cable is a straight through...

Any switch worth its salt will have an uplink port.

If there is an uplink port you can use a straight through cable from DSL to uplink port.

If not use a crossover cable from DSL to any network port on the switch.

An uplink port basically performs the same fuction as a crossover cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

you can link the dsl router to the switch with a regular network cable. Make sure you connect the cable to the 'up-link' network port on the switch.
    There should be one port on the switch dedicated for 'up-link' purposes. Consult your manual to find out how to up-link....

hey presto

Sorry dude i don't think you're correct. The router will go via standard cable to a standard port. If the switch was going to another switch (daisy chained) you would use that port.

My DSl router at home plugs into a normal network port om my switch. Works perfect first time.

so which one of ye is right? im going to buy some cables in a minute thats why i checked here just to be on the safe side first.

so its goona look like this?

dsl modem (via straight through)
    switch
    pc
    pc
    pc
    xbox

or

dsl modem (via crossover )
    switch
    pc
    pc
    pc
    xbox

• Advertisement

Peace wrote:
    Sorry dude i don't think you're correct. The router will go via standard cable to a standard port. If the switch was going to another switch (daisy chained) you would use that port.

My DSl router at home plugs into a normal network port om my switch. Works perfect first time.

some switches have an 'auto uplink' feature which automatically detects an uplink. Perhaps it depends on the brand of switch??

sound_wave wrote:
    so which one of ye is right? im going to buy some cables in a minute thats why i checked here just to be on the safe side first.

so its goona look like this?

dsl modem (via straight through)
    switch
    pc
    pc
    pc
    xbox

or

dsl modem (via crossover )
    switch
    pc
    pc
    pc
    xbox

Option A is what is running on my computer.

Third_Echelon makes a fair point about the auto uplink detection in which case my switch might be detecting the router and doing an auto crossover without the user ever knowing.

The only way you'll know is by plpugging the cables in and going for it. One way will work and the rest won't.

cool ill have a read off that.

thanks Mr Echelon.

excellent, i got everything working!

thanks lads! have some rep!

• Advertisement

No probs...

Cheers :)

:d

just tried it the other way and it works also,

with a straight through cable running from modem to switch and a crossover running from my laptop to the switch.

Maybe you've got that auto sense thing happening too.

Run along and download the interweb. After all... you have the broadband.

indeed...anyways, ill say thanks once again and be on my merry way :D

Advertisement