Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Media centre

• 02-12-2004 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

Anyone have this operating system installed or had experience with it?

I'm putting together a powerful dual processor system for gaming, video editing, music creation maybe. I have access to a copy of the media centre OS. Is it worth having? Any major bugs?

Notice how i spell centre.... not like those damn yanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I don't think the TV scheduler works in Ireland yet. Its nice for looking at pics and a nice easy interface for music. Other than that I don't think its worth putting on. stick to 2000Pro or XPpro if u want the microsoft route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Well i was goin to stick red hat 9 as well but i'm just tryin to decide whether its worth putting on media centre instead of xp pro. The PC will be doubling as my HI-Fi/DVD player.
    What exactly do you need for the OS to have a remote control function?

IR I believe 2 of my friends bough the remotes online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Usually you would be the remote and it will come with a reciver which goes directly into the usb port.. very simple really!

*googling remotes for media centre*

Otherwise its sounding like a good idea right...
    I've a feeling the whole OS mightn't be as sturdy as XP pro, dunno why that is. Maybe its the microsoft thing.

• Advertisement

The one I had was XP pro with media edition, so I guess it was fine. I only used it for a while.

Still i'd like to hear of any horror stories i may encounter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I've got Windows XP Media Center 2005 installed and I must say it's pretty slick when using the remote control to navigate. Everything seem to be functioning ok with the exception of the TV Tuner. I have an approved Hauppauge PCI tuner. All looks ok in Device Manager in XP but when I load Media Center, it's having problems detecting the TV signal. I've 3 cables running from my NTL box, Antennae, S-Video and Composite all into the Hauppauge card. However, Media Center only detects the S-Video cable and my image is only in Black and white.

All is ok when the NTL box is hooked up to a TV. I've also switched the Hauppauge tuner card for another identical (different hardware revision) tuner and the results are the same.

I plugged in a One 4 All amplified antennae and although it seems to detect 10 "services", all are black when I select channels 1 to 10.

Has anyone got this OS running with the tuner working ok ? If yes what tuner do you have and how is the TV signal going into the card.

Cheers and happy christmas.

Advertisement