Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you do in the car?

• 02-12-2004 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

First of all do you travel far to work? I travel **searches net to see exact mileage** I travel 115.6 miles in total everyday (to and from!) How do you keep alert/awake? Its very hard sometimes to stay awake especially on the motorways where you can't have your window open :( I try and look at cars I am passing or are passing me to see what cars are common/uncommon - if I am are really bored I check out registration plates (wwwwwooooooo exciting ;) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

How about the radio?

tis usually very good in the mornings!

If that doesnt work the usual matchsticks holding your eyes open usually does the trick! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

First of all do you travel far to work? I travel **searches net to see exact mileage** I travel 115.6 miles in total everyday (to and from!) How do you keep alert/awake? Its very hard sometimes to stay awake especially on the motorways where you can't have your window open :( I try and look at cars I am passing or are passing me to see what cars are common/uncommon - if I am are really bored I check out registration plates (wwwwwooooooo exciting ;) )
    ever hear of the radio??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

bring your pocket rocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i tailgate.. tis great fun:D you can have a competition with yourself to see how close you can get to the other car without touching it:D

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

see how many motorbikes you can spot before theyve gone past you?

maybe youll stay more alert and be less likely to kill one of us poor bastards when we passs through your blindspot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

drive 60miles [to and from work] and usually the radio does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

play the playstation???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Have a competition with yourself to see how long you can hold your eyes closed without leaving the lane/road. I can do about 17 seconds. Only do it on straight roads, it would be dangerous otherwise.

Tell the driver to hurry up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

watch the road?

I normally clock up a few hundred miles a week and also get bored, i've passed my every journeys a race stage *i hope* :rolleyes: so listening to the radio normally does it, get a good mp3 head unit!

I also use my car kit to make phone calls, which passes the time and is safe!

When sitting in traffic checkin the talent out is a regular occurance.

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mp3 player in the car, accept no substitutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Bring along a six pack :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

drive the entire way to work in reverse

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Chalk wrote:
    see how many motorbikes you can spot before theyve gone past you?

maybe youll stay more alert and be less likely to kill one of us poor bastards when we passs through your blindspot ;)

Maybe if you made an effort to get in view of our mirrors and not fly past as stupid speeds then we would have a chance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I drive about 56 return. Listen to Ian Dempsey/Ray D'Arcy in the morning and have now found myself listening to The Last Word in the evening.

A sure sign I'm getting old, listening to talk radio!!

Oh - sometimes I pick my nose. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

yea picking the nose thing passes the time alright, but make sure nobody sees you. Once your within half a mile of any car, take that finger OUT !!!!

oh, and watch for those speed ramps:

1110.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Chewing gum helps people stay awake when driving. Other suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Bring someone with you in the car so you have someone to talk to :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Get undressed, drive the car from the back seat and moon passing motorists, that's what I used to do anyway before the incident :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CJ_Will

Check out the hilarious video on this site for one option! :D
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/antiboredom.html

I usually am in the car for about an hour to an hour and a half every day (going to and from work).
    Whenever I get tired of the listening to the radio, I will sometimes get a book on tape and listen to it. It seems I never have time read anymore, so this is one option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What do I do in my car? Well, generally shout at others when stuck in traffic. That and consider life from every angle.

Oh, and blow kisses at other drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Maybe if you made an effort to get in view of our mirrors and not fly past as stupid speeds then we would have a chance..

Its stupid morons like me that get bikers killed. If you used your head and had a bit of cop you would realise that EVERYBODY isnt the same and dont all speed past at so called rediculous speeds. Im not saying people dont, cos they do. But dont tar everybody with the same brush.

If you actually thought about it, there is always a split second when a bike goes past a car where there is no way possible for the bike to be in a car's mirror view. If you used shoulder checks aswell as your mirrors and actually realised there is life outside your cage then you would become a much better driver

I will restrain myself and engage in debate more politely in future. I will learn grammar and use it in my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

neokenzo wrote:

It doesn't have to be someone you know either - abducting complete strangers can lead to intense conversations.

Way to jump to a conclusion BrynW. It's stupid flamers like you that get people banned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

gimmick wrote:
    What do I do in my car? Well, generally shout at others when stuck in traffic. That and consider life from every angle.

Oh, and blow kisses at other drivers.
    hehe sounds like me;) I shout alot at ignorant drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

I don't drive, i let the bus driver do that. I usually catch up on the sleep i am missing out on because i have to commute to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I too have a MP3 headunit. I download howard stern shows and play them while driving to/from work. The show is excellent. Lot better than that fecking idiot tupperty. Wánker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

In slow moving traffice (i.e. the M50 between 8 and 9am), I like looking around to see what other people are doing in their cars. A lot of people do pick their noses (mainly men), some people have very animated conversations (women usually), or put on their make-up (women again). I have seen more than one person play, ehm "air drums" on their dash (men), and one or two playing "air violin" too. Some people read newspapers, and some talk on their mobiles. I have seen people drop their mobiles onto the floor, and then bend down to look for it. Some people laugh out loud (hopefully at the radio), and a lot of people rummage around their glove compartment for something or other.
    Well it keeps me entertained anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

neokenzo wrote:

I do, but she's asleep within 5 minutes of getting into the car ... so back to the drawing board on that one!!

I normally blast the radio, until I get given out to by the sleeping beauty because I awoke her :/

Then I open the window to keep myself awake, until I get given out to by the sleeping beauty because of the cold draft :/

Then I tend to get ratty & shout at other drivers, until I get given out to by the sleeping beauty for being abusive :/

From now on I'll just sleep whilst driving & see which she prefers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A lot of people do pick their noses
    This should be encouraged. Picking your nose and eating it may actually have health benefits.
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_903083.html

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

The old ball scratching passes some time at traffic lights

Advertisement