Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers and Music

Options
  • 26-04-2001 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

A thing that has struck me recently is how much the board is dominated by guitar music. Think about it. Everyone here is into music of some form or another. And we're all obviously into computers, unless you're paying ridiculous prices by viewing this on your portable communication device (wap mobile phone). So add them together and what do you get? well protools and cuebase and things like loopers last album.
    But the majority of people here seem solely interested in guitar rawk. Someone in the top tem bands thread listed smashing pumpkins ten time for christs sake. so what gives?
    Why aren't we all rushing out to buy the latest avalanches record rather than debating when the (always brutal imo) Metallica sold out? (and remember, these were the d!ckheads who started the anti napster ball rolling).
    comments....

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, I use my computer to make music all the time. I'm still learning the software, so I've not done anything of merrit.

It's dead handy cause you can use it as a standard "fill in the bits I'm not doing" for a more traditional "music with rocks in" sound or you can mix sounds from various different sources and lash away!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[url="http://http:clanhitk.warfactory.com"][honey i] violated [the kids][/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

harvee whats loopers second album like?
    i have Up A Tree and its great listening every once in a while.. similar at all? or completly different?
    i wont mention about the smashing pumpkins otherwise people will get upset..

just finishing grabbing the almighty Amorphous Androgynous - Tales of Ephidrena, an FSOL release under a different name, cant wait to listen to it fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

I use my computer to make music.

You can get one of my tracks here!!

It's 3.5 megs in size.

I use Cubase VST (eh version 3 I fink) to sequence stuff. I use Cooledit Pro and Soundforge 4.5 to edit samples, and Reaktor is good for making weird sounds. I have a Roland JP 8000 synth and a Yamaha A3000 sampler. I also sample stuff of records a lot and do some really crap scratching on the 'oul 1210.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

"Guitar Music"

I'm not sure that is any kind of accurate description.
    There are many many different genres of music and practicaly unlimited styles, that ALL use guitars.
    Not to mention the sheer amount of effects you can have with the guitars, and total versatility of them.
    So much so that ANY band can have their own unique sound and style...
    And you label it all under one Type of music?

Talk about pidgeon-holeing!

I mean, compare the likes of The Beatles to something like Megadeth!
    They sound absolutely nothing alike.
    But they are both "Guitar Music"?

Even in the same genre artist can be just as far apart as ones from another genre...
    I mean, take Dimmu Borgir and Dark Throne.
    Both Black Metal, but they sound NOTHING alike.

And there are bands who cannot even be categorised, like Opeth. And they use guitars.

Try comparing The Doors to Type O Negative... They both use guitars, don't they?

This is the ultimate pidgeon holeing I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

hes right harVee,

everything you say is pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I used to do music on the C64 (ah...composing in Hex... smile.gif...) and then the Amiga. I just got Cakewalk and a MIDI keyboard last month to finally get to grips with it on the PC.
    And I've most of the redone 64 CD's to boot (Great for getting rid of drunk friends).. biggrin.gif

Do any of you by any chance have info. on mastering 20/24bit CD audio, or would I have to get it done Via DTS encoding?

Oh, and Angelwhore I think he just meant the fact that Guitars/rock is seen as cool whereas computer music is 'cheating'. I went through the 3 biggest music stores in Dublin last month looking for a simple RTS to RCA converter. The shops were full of wannabe guitarists talking about their strings, ask 'em something about electronics and you got that sad little grin....

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 28-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Angelwhore, you sound like a religon teacher:
    "Everyone's unique, everyone's special in their own way and has their own talents".
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I mean, take Dimmu Borgir and Dark Throne.
    Both Black Metal, but they sound NOTHING alike.</font>
    maybe they don't sound alike but they both sound ****.

Anyway, not once in my initial comment did i say there was either anything wrong with guitar music, or that i didn't like it. I do have a loathing for metallica but that's another matter entirely. And my description of the music i was talking about is utterly apt. I mean, you know what i'm talking about don't you.

Kali,
    Im not sure the geometrid is better than up a tree, or not, but it's worth a listen to, if just for the lead track, Mondo77. kinda hip hop in a folk electronica way.

Guys (besides Blam, d'loading your track now BTW) what equipment/software do you use? Having used Trackers for so long it's a bit of a shock moving to all these 'new' (to me) packages on the PC.

At the mo. I'm trying to use:
    Keyboard - Terratec Midi Controller Pro
    Midi Soundcard - SBLIVE
    Mastering/Sample card - DAL CardDeluxe
    Sequencer - Cakewalk Pro 9
    Sampler/Editor - CoolEdit 2000 / GigiSampler LE (is the full worth getting?)
    Soundfont Editor - Vienna 2.

Also, do any of you know where you can get Large->small midi Din converters (For connecting std. midi to the small ones on the SBLIVE IO panel)? I lost mine and have had to disconnect the IO panel completely to use the on-card midi/joystick port for the keyboard.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

GG Blam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by harVee:
    Angelwhore, you sound like a religon teacher:
    "Everyone's unique, everyone's special in their own way and has their own talents".
    I mean, take Dimmu Borgir and Dark Throne.
    Both Black Metal, but they sound NOTHING alike.</font>
    maybe they don't sound alike but they both sound ****.

you are an idiot, probably havent heard either band

• Advertisement

You should read Kaisers post on the 'PC Users...Goths thread', equally as amusing.

Anyway, damn good track Blam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

* A sweet semi-acoustic guitar
    * Buzz 1.2 Beta (www.buzz2.com)
    * Sound Blaster Live! 1024 player
    * Windows Sound Recorder

That's all you need, though I'd prefer a better sampling package smile.gif

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

Advertisement