Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY top ten bands

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    but if you do, at least make a better debate out of it, and use my quotes in context as they are meant. otherwise, its not really an observation, it mearly looks like youre a tosser. which im quiet sure you are not</font>
    Eh? Explain.

[/B]

explain?....
    make a point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

1.Nirvana
    2.Radiohead
    3.Mazzy Star
    4.Morcheeba
    5.Iggy Pop
    6.The Beatles
    7.Massive Attack
    8.Tricky
    9.Canned Heat
    10.They might be giants (for sheer cheese)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

im a big fan of cheese, tell me more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

One shell script later and the top 20(21) are:

14 NIRVANA
    10 SMASHING PUMPKINS
    9 PIXIES
    7 RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
    7 RADIOHEAD
    7 METALLICA
    6 THE FRAMES
    5 SLAYER
    5 RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
    5 MANIC STREET PREACHERS
    5 LED ZEPPELIN
    4 THE DOORS
    4 REM
    4 PEARL JAM
    3 SEPULTURA
    3 PRODIGY
    3 PINK FLOYD
    3 JEFF BUCKLEY
    3 FOO FIGHTERS
    3 BLUR
    3 BEATLES

Of course any vote where Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins come ahead of the likes of Pearl Jam/Floyd/Beatles or The Doors is declared null and void due to lack of taste.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrblue:

10.They might be giants (for sheer cheese)
    </font>

oh yes, work it baby.
    absolutely brilliant.
    saphire bullets of pure love....

actualy ever, see the looney tunes do a full half hour sketech using music purely from ummm, the album with the whalewith lucky ball and chain and particel man. great stuff.
    mind you whale are also an excellent band.
    yes indeed you robo-humping slobo babe, get of my back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    explain?....
    make a point...
    </font>
    Right, it's like this.
    You had issue with someone saying that they liked the "old" Metallica. You said that you preferred their new stuff yourself.

It seemed as though your opinion was this: you can't just like one time in the bands career... you have to like ALL of it. I think this is silly. I personally only like bits and pieces from Pablo Honey (Radiohead) but I like their Bends era on material. Does this mean I can't put Radiohead down as a top ten band?

If a band goes through a progression they change their style. If a person likes one style better than the other let them. You appeared to be quite angry with whoever was posting.

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I'd be curious to know how many of those lads that names all metal bands are over the age of 16. It really does seems to be a teenage rebel phase (although some don't grow out of it) I used to be the same, but have since mellowed and now listen to all kinds of the blues ... contemporary/vintage/acoustic you name it I just love it. Also like lot of old rock such as led zeppelin, the doors the beatles etc.
    There's no real point in trying to list my top 10 because I doubt I have one, and beside most of what I listen to nobody has ever heard of outside the pub blues tours.

Redesigned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    explain?....
    make a point...
    </font>
    Right, it's like this.
    You had issue with someone saying that they liked the "old" Metallica. You said that you preferred their new stuff yourself.

It seemed as though your opinion was this: you can't just like one time in the bands career... you have to like ALL of it. I think this is silly. I personally only like bits and pieces from Pablo Honey (Radiohead) but I like their Bends era on material. Does this mean I can't put Radiohead down as a top ten band?

If a band goes through a progression they change their style. If a person likes one style better than the other let them. You appeared to be quite angry with whoever was posting.

no, im not angry at all. but ive heard that argument before so many times. stuff about bands 'selling out'. anthrax were the first to get slated for their state of euphoria (i think) album because they sold out. i couldnt understand why so many people then hated anthrax. was it because the music wasnt enjoyable? no, it was become some twit who didnt like it made some stupid comment and other sheep followed. the album was quiet good (at the time) and so i couldnt understand why people wouldnt listen to it, or other albums afterward. my commecnt on the whole old/new metallica style of music is simple. if you grew up with metallica, the chances are you will have listened to all their music and enjoyed it like i did. if you didnt, chances are you are really stuck in a rut and your musical horizans are probably still living in 80s metal land somewhere.
    a lot of people say they like old metallica becauise they say metallica sold out. aparently becoming the one of the biggest bands in the world means you are popular. and if you are popular this means you sodl out. early metallica was not popular as they hadnt recieved stardom at that stage, so it is then acceptable to listen to this music.
    it also goes along with what i was saying about people who like obscure bands purely because no-one else has ever heard of them and it makes them feel superior. as osiris has just said, he likes a certain kind of music that most of us wouldnt know. hell, im sure i could list of a couple of hundred classical pieces that most of you only know from football round up clips!
    besides, i was looking for a debate on why people like old/new metallica. many people have said the prefer old. but why?
    i may not be a musical genius. i may know bugger all about music, but i know what i like and i cn give you reasons why. hell, i even like a load of girl/boy band songs. i even have a 5ive album! but like i said, i like usic from ever where and i wouldnt do myself the injustice of listening to just one type of music....
    ok, its early, but have i made my point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OSiriS:
    I'd be curious to know how many of those lads that names all metal bands are over the age of 16. It really does seems to be a teenage rebel phase (although some don't grow out of it) I used to be the same, but have since mellowed and now listen to all kinds of the blues ... contemporary/vintage/acoustic you name it I just love it. Also like lot of old rock such as led zeppelin, the doors the beatles etc.
    There's no real point in trying to list my top 10 because I doubt I have one, and beside most of what I listen to nobody has ever heard of outside the pub blues tours.

</font>

i think your mixing up nu - metalers with old school metalers. i would agree that MOST (for those that may get offended, remember i said MOST nu - metalers, meaning not all) nu - metalers tend to be around 14 - 16 or so. i myself am 20 and dont listen to nu - metal (bought slipknots album, mistake, fun for a week) but all types of old schol metal as MOST metalers over 18 do. just because i or anyone else for that matter listen to metal does'nt mean that im an angry pubescent teenager, i listen to metal because i think its SOME of the most talented music i've ever heard (which it is, if your a musician you will know this). i also listen to other types of music including blues, classic rock, classical etc.

p.s: just making a point, not trying to start a flaming session.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

[This message has been edited by black_wizardd (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 geekboie

Originally posted by boddah:
    you are an idiot

why am I an idiot? at least support your accusation you stipid "peoples republic of Cork" a**hole! maybe you should travel a bit more and get out of Cork if you think Cork is another country.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by black_wizardd:
    i think your mixing up nu - metalers with old school metalers. i would agree that MOST (for those that may get offended, remember i said MOST nu - metalers, meaning not all) nu - metalers tend to be around 14 - 16 or so. i myself am 20 and dont listen to nu - metal (bought slipknots album, mistake, fun for a week) but all types of old schol metal as MOST metalers over 18 do. just because i or anyone else for that matter listen to metal does'nt mean that im an angry pubescent teenager, i listen to metal because i think its SOME of the most talented music i've ever heard (which it is, if your a musician you will know this). i also listen to other types of music including blues, classic rock, classical etc.

p.s: just making a point, not trying to start a flaming session.

</font>

i think he was taking about the people who posted to this thread listing the names of obscure bands.
    hell im 27 and i listen to metal. but i also listen to just about every other genre of music as well. including **shame** american country rock
    /me hangs head in shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    i think he was taking about the people who posted to this thread listing the names of obscure bands.
    </font>

of which i was one (emperor, dimmu borgir, satyricon, immortal etc) smile.gif.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by geekboie:
    Originally posted by boddah:
    you are an idiot

why am I an idiot? at least support your accusation you stipid "peoples republic of Cork" a**hole! maybe you should travel a bit more and get out of Cork if you think Cork is another country.
    </font>

jeez, alright man, relax! i thought saying nirvana were crap was a very dumb thing to say, thats all. and i don't live in cork, i live in limerick, i'm FROM cork. where the phuck are you from, dublin? rolleyes.gif
    grow up and get a sense of humour man

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

Advertisement