Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping the Reputation System

Options
  • 02-12-2004 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

I think, at this stage it has to be seen as a failure.
    When you have people sitting in the Cuckoos nest getting free rep I think its time to call it a day.
    IMO the "problems" outweigh any possible benefits.
    Can we add votes in Feedback?
    It might be interesting to see what the general boards population think of the reputation system at this stage.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wow, for someone who doesnt give a monkeys about rep (at least, thats what you say in between insulting me in personal messages), you seem pretty strung up on the whole idea.

perhaps youre just annoyed coz you got a whole lot of neg rep today.

poor chap. id give you some positive rep, but hey, i dont like you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Negative rep policy invoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think the general boards community could not care less about the rep points. If it bothers you, just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Negative rep policy invoked.
    Thanks, but the rep system has been switched, you just gave me + rep. :D

Waylander wrote:
    I think the general boards community could not care less about the rep points. If it bothers you, just ignore it.
    Exactly! so why not just scrap it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sorry GreeBo, policy is policy. Cya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh hey maybe we should scrap your ability to send PM's, or am I the 5th stooge or whatever crap you were spouting. Moron.

Giblet wrote:
    Oh hey maybe we should scrap your ability to send PM's, or am I the 5th stooge or whatever crap you were spouting. Moron.
    OOH! *clutches handbag closer to his chin*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Call the Police

Uh
    Betty was worried about the lover that she has married
    And she didn’t know what to do
    He’d been hit by a hammer on the head and he lay dead
    An’ all her worst fears had come true

{chorus}
    Call the police
    Call the police
    Call the police
    Call the police

Johnny was a joker and a very heavy smoker
    And he never ever broke the law
    Thin miss lizzy was a-kept very busy
    And sometimes very dizzy, we knew what for

{repeat chorus}
    And take ’em all away
    Lock ’em up
    {repeat chorus}
    {repeat chorus}
    {repeat chorus}
    {repeat chorus}

Louie was a loner and a big time al capone-er
    Doin’ all his dipping from the door
    He knew a shady dealer who had done a dirty dj,
    The sooner he could even the score

{repeat chorus}

And lock ’em up
    Help ya have a birthday, say
    Take ’em all away

<another Thin Lizzy number - Call the Police (Lynott)>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Call the Police

Uh
    Betty was worried about the lover that she has married
    And she didn’t know what to do
    He’d been hit by a hammer on the head and he lay dead
    An’ all her worst fears had come true
    Do you have one of these for all occasions?
    Or only when you're arsed?
    Or are they pre-made?
    Just wonderin. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

*waits for the rep thread haters to wreap their wrath*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If the reputation system has been tinkered with then could someone please tell me what the changes are. I mean has it been changed back to normal or what. I neg repped a spammer which sent him into minus rep. but when I check my rep points, I get a neg rep point from someone who agreed with a post I made.

If your going to tinker with the system then you might as well take it down. personally i don't particularly care how others use their ability to give and take away rep, what I do care about is the fact that I may or may not have insulted someone by giving them positive reputation which will show up on their user CP as negative.

I say reset it and give it another try, and ban rep related threads that are not enquiries as to how the system works, or reports of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

ah here relax everyone, if you havent enough check out the rep thread in cuckoos nest, or else rip as many as you can out of it and get your red gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I've just decided I'm going to stop reading Feedback for a while, the amount of whiney bitches is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

merky wrote:
    Better than lick arse beatches tbh

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

This thread's silly. It belongs in the CucKoo's Nest, send it there please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

GreeBo wrote:
    I think, at this stage it has to be seen as a failure.
    When you have people sitting in the Cuckoos nest getting free rep I think its time to call it a day.
    IMO the "problems" outweigh any possible benefits.
    Can we add votes in Feedback?
    It might be interesting to see what the general boards population think of the reputation system at this stage.

MarioPlan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

strat wrote:
    MarioPlan.jpg
    Second time this week, you're fond of that one, aren't you? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Modified wrote:
    Do you have one of these for all occasions?

Yes.. I do... from "Jingle Bells" to "Meeting Jimmy the Weed"
    Modified wrote:
    Or only when you're arsed?

depends what you mean by "arsed".
    Modified wrote:
    Or are they pre-made?

Nah.. I look at the thread.. get a bottle of whiskey out. And start writing... What do you think??????? :eek:
    Modified wrote:
    Just wonderin. :rolleyes:
    wonder over there -> [_]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dont get rid of it . It is a perfect way to inculcate a culture of ignorance and bullying of n00bs for asking n00b questions . More of that sort of thing , especially in a non democracy !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Getting rep is the only thing that makes me happy :D

Its just a game, to see who can get a high score. Its doesnt enforce any sort of social cliques or anything like that. The only people who seem to complain about it are those who are secretly jealous of the people with lots of apples, and who are unwilling to come out and say it straight. Oh, also those who seem to gather lots of negative rep for being idiots, and who dont like tangible proof of others displeasure. Its much easier to ignore PMs than a glowy red dot by your name.

I'll see to that for you Boro :) asking nicely is 9 parts of the law. !

The Rep system astonished me when it first came out. A very small number of users went off the scale in no time at all, they hardly even had to post and the dots kept appearing just like that. Now they can slap the n00bs at a whim.

There is no linkage between reporting of posts and posts requiring mod intervention and neg rep ......a good way of deciding rep for a Board if you ask me. Instead its a Boards wide thing . While Boards was always a clique , albeit a dynamic and vital clique , the rep situation is unfortunately Boards wide and is completely decontextualised from where the bulk of contributions are made by the user ...be they good or bad.

A n00b could be great in the Transport forum and sh1te in the for sale forum . Logically the rep should be related to virtous activities in one and miscreancy in another .

Then the n00b shows up here to ask a question and gets wiped out....for asking a question.....even though the bulk of their contributions are elsewhere .

I told one muppet yesterday that I thought his comments in a post in here were not needed. Sure enuff the muppet did what I expected and fished around for a post of mine in a forum where the muppet is thankfully never seen and is therefore irrelevant and should not have counted as a non contributor ...... but a n00b woulda been wiped out and would have wondered why that was thrown back at them .......spite actually .

Once the n00bs get the hint that there is no forgiveness for being a n00b the problem will arise that Boards changes from a dynamic clique (as it always will be ) to simply being a clique .

That is the first step towards irrelevance oblivion and fragmentation .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I've just decided I'm going to stop reading Feedback for a while, the amount of whiney bitches is incredible.

Physician heal thyself.

Muck wrote:
    The Rep system astonished me when it first came out. A very small number of users went off the scale in no time at all, they hardly even had to post and the dots kept appearing just like that. Now they can slap the n00bs at a whim.
    ...<SNIP>...
    That is the first step towards irrelevance oblivion and fragmentation .

M
    Exactly.
    You yourself are a perfect example, 6 million posts and 3 green squares. :confused:
    The one problem I see with your idea is that it might encourage muppets to post any and everywhere so they have "powers" there.
    Its already feeling pretty clique in here, now we are faced with a bunch of boys sitting 2 feet from each other in college (all with disproportionately large +rep) -repping individuals who cross any of them.
    Its just a farce these days.
    Not to mention those who are so sick of Rep Threads they feel the need to post in each one... :cool:

Here is an example of where a n00b could get -rep

If a muppet signs up and starts to pimp something in for sale...not an unknown problem....then the for sale mod should be able to seriously minus them while banning them. Well deserved.

For sale contributors should be able to -rep but not on the same scale as the Mod.

Non for sale persons should be irrelevant to the scoring system. If you are a non contributor then you should be irrelevant in there. Furthermore, attempts to -rep in forums where you have not ' contributed ' ....be that contribution good bad or indifferent...... should result in your getting -rep for being a complete dickhead.

I really meant what I said about
    irrelevance oblivion and fragmentation

That is the long term risk to Boards from the current rep system .

M

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Muck, I agree. It would be nice to have that sort of system alright but we dont.

I dont think the Rep system will last the year to be honest. Well, it might, but only cos we are all busy! Its another experiment but personally I dont think its a success. I think it has value for other uses though... we're giving them a bit of a think at the moment.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

Wow, a "Scrap the Rep system" tread.

How original.

And not one reply from Verdammt , how strange !!!

• Advertisement

I very much look forward to your personally starting a thread on the 'other uses' Dev .

My weighting and contextualisation suggestion would require a very sophisticated algorithm and would still be open to abuse and would still tie you down in related Admin matters when you could be doing FAR more useful things !!!!

I would see a karma system of sorts being linked to the for sale Boards as a form of muppet filter but it is otherwise useless from what I can see.

TIA

M

Advertisement