Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping the Reputation System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

koneko wrote:
    lol
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

pam wrote:
    8. Provides interesting reading in Feedback.

A good point. I'm considering introducing a "+rep for starting a -rep thread" policy, purely to increase the FUN factor.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i like the reping system i've recived only 4 or 5 from the free rep all the rest has been peoples opion why finish it? it also gets people talking,
    if you don't like the free rep then try get that finished

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

pam wrote:
    Your only being ironic cos you can't give me any more rep right now :)

I know, I'm utterly predicable nowadays.
    (I'm a bot you know!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

GreeBo wrote:
    ok, so which are which?

Now see if the rep system didn't exist I'd have to respond to this and have to come up with some witty retort along the lines of "if you have to ask...."

But thanks to the rep system, I can just roll my eyes, neg rep you and move on.

You should think about doing the latter..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

pam wrote:
    Time for a list methinks:

What has the rep system done for us anyway?
    Ahghhhhhhhh grrrrreeeat , he's seen the life of Brian and must have a sense of humour so !
    1. Rewards users who are creative or contribute in some way.
    LOL !
    2. Cuts down on one word "lol" type posts.
    LOL_LIS_LOL
    3. Provides a currency of sorts for boards, even rep whoring just enhances the community aspect building of the system.
    LOL or is that No not really unless you consider the Deutschmark a currency c.1923 !
    4. Gives feedback to people who normally wouldn't have recieved any.
    In the sense that a badger is a happy critter as long as it stays off the road and assuming it knows what a road is seeing as it is a badger....and LOL
    5. Makes it easier to indentify morons.
    indentify ? LOL Must remember that word indentify, sounds like a procedure for putting teeth back in (as in the Animal Farm comment above ) and IIRC LOL !
    6. Gives the fight the power gang something to whinge about.
    LOL once more , where do they hang out BTW ?
    7. There is, of course, no seventh item on this list.
    Oh my aching LOL !
    8. Provides interesting reading in Feedback.
    Yes...and LOL
    9. Provides an alternative to flaming within a thread.
    NO, its an optional extra ...along with the obligatory LOL
    10. It's fun.
    Ask the (LOL) Badger in Item 4 !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Muck wrote:
    Ahghhhhhhhh grrrrreeeat , he's seen the life of Brian and must have a sense of humour so !

LOL !

LOL_LIS_LOL

LOL or is that No not really unless you consider the Deutschmark a currency c.1923 !
    In the sense that a badger is a happy critter as long as it stays off the road and assuming it knows what a road is seeing as it is a badger....and LOL

indentify ? LOL Must remember that word indentify, sounds like a procedure for putting teeth back in (as in the Animal Farm comment above ) and IIRC LOL !

LOL once more , where do they hang out BTW ?

Oh my aching LOL !

Yes...and LOL

NO, its an optional extra ...along with the obligatory LOL

Ask the (LOL) Badger in Item 4 !

M

l.o.l. :D

Sing-a-long with me...

You can stick your LOLs,
    Up your f*cking a*se...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I think it was george Michael who once sang :::

"Rep is natural - Rep is good
    Not everybody does it
    But everybody should
    Rep is natural - Rep is fun
    Rep is best when it's....one on one
    one on one"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sharkman wrote:
    I think it was george Michael who once sang :::

"Rep is natural - Rep is good
    Not everybody does it
    But everybody should
    Rep is natural - Rep is fun
    Rep is best when it's....one on one
    one on one"

george michael did not sing that.
    jesus christ.

• Advertisement

jesus christ.

JC sang it? Damn, he sure did fit a lot into his 33 years...carpenter, singer, son of God, King of the Jews, the original Christmas present...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The cop said in court , under oath, that it was a gurgling sound and not singing as we know it !

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

DeVore wrote:
    You *START* with 10 rep points if I'm not mistaken. :rolleyes:

DeV.

LOL :D

Muck wrote:
    The cop said in court , under oath, that it was a gurgling sound and not singing as we know it !

M

Now thats a mouthful... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

merky wrote:
    Better than lick arse beatches tbh
    Beatches? We don't need no steenkin' beatches

(sorry, had to be done)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Pity this has descended into spam - there's some good concepts as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"bubbles* wrote:
    Because I dont like you
    "bubbles* wrote:
    I've decided to give you negative rep every day for a whole month from all my accounts.
    yes, what fun!
    Ho Ho Ho.

GreeBo wrote:
    Ho Ho Ho.

Nice to see you've got the Xmas spirit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Rep is getting a bit boring now that so many people have reached the upper limit of 11 green apples. I was looking forward to the day when the whole screen would be an orchard of love but alas, it is not to be.

So, I don't really care if it goes but meanwhile I'll continue to spread the love in the cuckoo's nest because it creates such a warm fuzzy feeling.

As people mentioned before, the possibility of sending little comments about posts has improved the boards experience and it would be cool if that could remain after the decomissioning of the rep system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

cant ye just make it optional???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sure it's abused in rep whoring threads but I think that's outweighed by those who have recieved points for doing something funny, insightful or otherwise interesting when they wouldn't have otherwise.

TBH I think it's actually gone the opposite direction. It's become so distorted as to be reasonably pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They should have a button in place of rep for "Comment to user" or somesuch. This is the same as rep, but unlike rep you don't have a limit in a day, and there's no apples. Sort of like reporting, but to the user, not the mod.

That's how I use it, I couldn't care less about the number, but I enjoy using the system to hear that people agree with my opinions, or to exchange Baldurs Gate quotes with people for no reason.

But the system as it stands now has just gone to hell, people have begun raping it on that stupid ITT thread. Shame, it started out quite well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Raphael wrote:
    They should have a button in place of rep for "Comment to user" or somesuch. This is the same as rep, but unlike rep you don't have a limit in a day, and there's no apples. Sort of like reporting, but to the user, not the mod.

Wait.. you mean.. like a PM system? Good thinking there Einstein. Have any thoughts on the theory of relativity?

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What are the grey reputation points? I've had green, a couple of red from (strangely) anti-revolutionary types, and now a couple of grey ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

logic1 wrote:
    Wait.. you mean.. like a PM system? Good thinking there Einstein. Have any thoughts on the theory of relativity?

.logic.
    Nah, the rep is much tidier than the PM system. I use PM's for conversations, wheras rep is a list of comments, backlinked to posts, and stand aloney

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

koneko wrote:
    I know, I'm utterly predicable nowadays.
    (I'm a bot you know!)

Predictable like a FOX!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm beginning to like the rep system. It's like feedback. Helps me make more useful posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Basically anyone who deserves reps will be given one otherwise stuff it,
    I subscribed to the ITT in the CukoN and in my opinion its B*llox.I admit its fairly low.Andi am sorry i did it(I cheated - shame :( will never do it again )

Fair enough got rep but for what? (most of mine is honest)
    I didnt do sh*t.Much prefer help someone out or post something worth while and get honest rep.

How about a full time Mod/Admin of the Rep system so no one gets an uneven or unjustified rep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Untimately, you can't stop people whoring rep.
    Even before the infamous ITT:repwhore thread, there was still rampant rep-whoring among various bum-chums in IRC.
    Whether it's in the open or behind closed doors, people are going to amass huge amounts of rep they didn't "earn".

I find rep pointless for another reason... why should I care what x amount of people think about poster y?
    I take each post on its own merit, the posters track record as judged by 100 other random muppets makes no difference to me.

Is a total negetive rep supposed to slap people back into shape?
    As far as I can see, it just makes bad muppets worse, since now they have another thing to be grumpy about... especially when everyone jumps at the chance to neg rep the poster for starting a rep thread.

I don't think it functions accurately as a display of poster-quality in its present form... it's good for spreading that warm fuzzy feeling though :p

Advertisement