Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping the Reputation System

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's not fair on the system though. Suppose you turned off your rep, then made a fantastic and insightful post on after hours. I click to give you rep, but alas and alack, you are unable to receive it. This removes my ability to congratulate you, which is the beauty of the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Raphael wrote:
    That's not fair on the system though. Suppose you turned off your rep, then made a fantastic and insightful post on after hours. I click to give you rep, but alas and alack, you are unable to receive it. This removes my ability to congratulate you, which is the beauty of the system
    I agree. The system has its uses if put used properly, but right now things like these rep whore sigs, threads and gangs are raping it in every orifice, and it deserves to be put out of its misery until the community as a whole matures enough to use it correctly. I believe I made a similar comment when the system was introduced first with vBulletin 3, and in this case I am sorry to conclude that I have been proven correct.

No, but it affects the giver, who is trying to let you know they agree with or like your post

As mentioned, I don't give a damn about numbers and colours. It's the comments that matter to me, I enjoy giving and receiving them. If people can cut themselves out of the system, then the system is pointless

• Advertisement

Yes, but PMing is more bother than it's worth. To rep someone it's:

1. push button
    2. Wait for pop-up to load
    3. Type comment in window
    3. Push button

Wheras for a PM you'd need to:

1. Copy post
    2. click name
    3. Click PM
    4. Wait for page to reload
    5. Paste post
    6. Add tags
    7. Add comment
    8. Send
    9. Wait for page to load
    10. Go back to where you were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

smiaras wrote:
    Which is beyond the point of either critisism of praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have used forums extensively before that do not enable reputation and I never knew it existed. On the point that it makes the giver of reputation feel better about themselves that they can applaud good and insightful posts... so bloody what. Learn private mail (which is exactly the purpose it was intended for) and you can still feel good about giving feedback.

I believe the reputation thingy is more hassle than it is worth and I would be in favour of opting out/in or doing away with it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Raphael wrote:
    Wheras for a PM you'd need to:

Actually its more..

1. Click persons name, and Click Send Private message (Middle click in firefox for a new tab)..
    2. Type in message.
    3. Hit send.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

How's about this?
    • You can only give rep once a week
    • You can't rep the same person twice in a year
    • If you give rep to someone and they give it back, both reps are cancelled
    • Your rep history, given and received, is public (like on eBay)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id rather rep not be made public.
    ive told hobbes i love him a number of times, and i wouldnt want that to be misunderstood...

personally, i think we should be able to get more apples.
    im sure that now i have over 5000 rep points that i should have more than 11

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

id rather rep not be made public.
    ive told hobbes i love him a number of times, and i wouldnt want that to be misunderstood...

oh
    there's no misunderstanding..... ;)

Hobbes wrote:
    Actually its more..

1. Click persons name, and Click Send Private message (Middle click in firefox for a new tab)..
    2. Type in message.
    3. Hit send.

Yes, but there is the aspect of copying so the person knows what you're talking about. Rep gives a link

Didn't know about the middle click thing...handy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

pam wrote:

Also, while I initially laughed at the idea of a Reputation forum I now think that it would be a good idea......................

To think I got lots of neg rep for that suggestion. If only I had had the foresight to moan about it here at the time we could have had our forum by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Was just hit by an idea molecule there.
    How about if when I give someone 20 rep points, Im actually giving them 20 of my rep points.
    It should stop the whoring and also the rep gangs.
    If used in conjunction with some of the other ideas (visible total, visible comments) and maybe if you show the highest a person has been (per month maybe?) it might work a bit better.
    Now if only we can find someone who will update the code..... :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I posted a scheme a few months back that incorporated that idea. I think it would work better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

ecksor wrote:
    I posted a scheme a few months back that incorporated that idea. I think it would work better too.
    That's actually how I originally thought the system worked :rolleyes:

Would this mean a finite pool of rep, which is simply shuffled between each other?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    That's actually how I originally thought the system worked :rolleyes:

Would this mean a finite pool of rep, which is simply shuffled between each other?
    well I guess each new user would add more to the pool, and the amount that you give would be some sort of asymptotic value so that no one ends up at 0.
    It would stop the huge differences in rep values (I assume!) and should make it more meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

GreeBo wrote:
    well I guess each new user would add more to the pool, and the amount that you give would be some sort of asymptotic value so that no one ends up at 0.

why not? if someone has 0 (or less) its for a reason... eg. a n00b posting. :eek:

• Advertisement

why not? if someone has 0 (or less) its for a reason... eg. a n00b posting. :eek:
    yeah, but you shouldnt go to 0 because you have been +repping others, imo

Well, my scheme wouldn't let you negative rep people anyway so that's not a factor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

ecksor wrote:
    Well, my scheme wouldn't let you negative rep people anyway so that's not a factor :p

your just too nice ecksor.. :p

Not at all, the negative rep powers would be granted to only the most vindictive and your ability to give positive rep would also be severely curtailed.

I suppose I should link to the full suggestion: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1928275

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Most vindictive eh?

Damnit!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

GreeBo wrote:
    Was just hit by an idea molecule there.
    How about if when I give someone 20 rep points, Im actually giving them 20 of my rep points.
    It should stop the whoring and also the rep gangs.
    If used in conjunction with some of the other ideas (visible total, visible comments) and maybe if you show the highest a person has been (per month maybe?) it might work a bit better.
    Now if only we can find someone who will update the code..... :eek:
    Wouldn't they just stop giving other people rep then and just hoard any rep they recieve, then just a small group of people would have all the rep and there'd be none left for the rest of us to give.

What if rep, instead of lasting forever, was only totalled for the last x number of months, or x number of rep givings, it wouldn't stop people trading ridiculous amounts but they'd have to work a lot harder to keep up and there'd be plenty to go around for the people who deserve it ?

stevenmu wrote:
    Wouldn't they just stop giving other people rep then and just hoard any rep they recieve, then just a small group of people would have all the rep and there'd be none left for the rest of us to give.
    I dont think so, remember, everyone starts off at 10, if people stop giving out rep then no one gets any more so we have everyone on 10 except for 2 people, one of whom is on 9 the other 11.
    Nah, I dont think that would be a problem, unless everyone decides that they want to stay at 10 in which case we might as well not have rep at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think most people would give rep, there'd just be the few who don't because they want it all.

edit: On the plus side that could lead to a Highlander style situation, where there'd be some online equivalent to beheading someone and taking all their rep, in the end there could be only one ....

stevenmu wrote:
    I think most people would give rep, there'd just be the few who don't because they want it all.

edit: On the plus side that could lead to a Highlander style situation, where there'd be some online equivalent to beheading someone and taking all their rep, in the end there could be only one ....
    lol, ok....

I think we would still need negative rep though, otherwise you can become untouchable. However, I think negative rep should be to a max of one rep point.
    It should be weight of numbers not just one person with a big rep count themselves who take rep from you.
    At the moment if you disagree with a rep king you are screwed even if everyone else agress with you.

<edit> actually, it might be good if giving negative rep also took from your own rep, to either a lesser or greater degree than giving +rep, Im not sure which makes more sense...</edit>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

stevenmu wrote:

A valid use for the Thunderdome? Could be onto something there.

Advertisement