Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping the Reputation System

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A valid use for the Thunderdome? Could be onto something there.
    Hmm something like a rep duel to the death...
    Depending on whether or not more people agree with your point of view or your "opponents" one of you wins the others rep....
    Though there is a danger that we are just getting silly here... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Looks like rep is gone, at least, all the wikkle squares are and the info in your CP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

I just noticed that myself !!!

About time.

What does that mean for all the Prison detainee's that abused the rep system ?? Will they be let out now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

at least when it was taken away, i was winning the game ;)

seriously tho, wont be missed by the vast majority of boards users tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

merky wrote:
    hmm

I can see it now. Black market trading in rep points....

Interesting!
    not even that would really work, cause the "pusher" would eventually run out of points.
    Its foolproof, foolproof I tells ya.
    (unless they scrap rep like they appear to have done!) :eek:
    woo-hoo, I won, or something. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ED-209 wrote:
    What does that mean for all the Prison detainee's that abused the rep system ?? Will they be let out now ??

Taking away the rep system doesn't wipe history. If they were deemed abusive in rep system, then I don't think that would change just cos rep is gone. It's up to the admins though (obviously).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

ED-209 wrote:

Not planning to do that. They'll all be out in 4 days or less anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

ecksor wrote:
    Not planning to do that. They'll all be out in 4 days or less anyway.

Not that I can see. I know certain people are in there months.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

obviously not the place for this question, but what happens In Real Life (if anyone is from there) to people imprisoned for a crime that's later decriminalised? Do you stay in prison for disobeying a law that is then proven to be wrong (inasmuch as laws can be right or wrong) or do you get out and have your slate wiped?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Certain people are. All the current temp bans will be up in 4 days or less. If someone earns a permanent ban then I don't see why you'd think they'd get out because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

obviously not the place for this question, but what happens In Real Life (if anyone is from there) to people imprisoned for a crime that's later decriminalised? Do you stay in prison for disobeying a law that is then proven to be wrong (inasmuch as laws can be right or wrong) or do you get out and have your slate wiped?
    They stay in prison for the remainder of their time. You get imprisoned for breaking the law. If the law is later revoked, that doesn't save you from the fact that you are still guilty of having committed a crime at the time.

The constitution states that the law cannot be applied retroactively (i.e. you cannot be prosecuted for previously doing something while it was legal, but is now illegal). Logically, the same applies for removal of laws.

In reality though, laws are meant to be a moral guideline of what the people believe. And prison is meant to be punishment for being immoral. So if something is no longer immoral, then there's no need for that person to remain in prison, so more often then not, they will be released by the courts when the new law comes into effect, but their criminal record remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sorry GreeBo, policy is policy. Cya.

Doodle, do you actually do a search for people who start rep threads :rolleyes:

Advertisement