Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant - Bands playing in 18+ venues

• 02-12-2004 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Why do bands come here and play in over 18s venues, like TBMC, and the village etc. Apart from it being irritating cos I cant go to gigs with my bro anymore, surely the bands are losing out due to people not getting in. Its so annoying. Who books these bands? why do they play these venues? why cant they bring the age down just for the gigs? DO WE REALLY HAVE TO DRINK AT EVERYTHING WE GO TO..?.FFS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

don't worry, you'll grow older some day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

lol, But my brother wants to go see all these bands and he cant go, its really pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

i think it has something to do with insurance? :cool:

Damn them insurance people, ruining my fun. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I personally wouldn't want anyone under 18 at a gig.

I want to relax, perhaps have a drink without a bunch of high pitched, hormone addled KIDS tearing about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Its a bit stupid, coz most rock and metal bands fans are under 18.they must lose loads of potential gig goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

lucky to have the likes of blast round so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

chrismon wrote:
    i think it has something to do with insurance? :cool:
    it's not that at all it's drink, and blame the irish public for it we've given this ban to ourselves with our drunken behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

They only have it 18+ because there is a bar there,
    so y dont they do sumtin like they have in the ambassador.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kersh wrote:
    DO WE REALLY HAVE TO DRINK AT EVERYTHING WE GO TO..?

Thats not the problem. The problem is Irish kids ignorance towards drinking, which can be blamed on irish culture.

I was in germany for a while a few years ago working, and there would be 16y/os in clubs/venues etc, and wouldnt have any intention of drinking, let alone getting legless like all Irish teens love to do.

The problem is education, and lack of facilities. Look to the States and most of Europe, kids dont care about alcohol (for the most part), because there is plenty for them to do at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Kersh wrote:
    Why do bands come here and play in over 18s venues, like TBMC, and the village etc. Apart from it being irritating cos I cant go to gigs with my bro anymore, surely the bands are losing out due to people not getting in. Its so annoying. Who books these bands? why do they play these venues? why cant they bring the age down just for the gigs? DO WE REALLY HAVE TO DRINK AT EVERYTHING WE GO TO..?.FFS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Because for every one person attracted by an all ages gig, there's one or more turned off by it. At the end of the day, who's more likely to have €20 for a gig ticket, a 20+ year old, or 15 year old?

Its a pity, cos a lot of bands are caught in a catch-22 situation, playing to half empty venues not matter what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

That happened to me trying to go to Flogging Molly in the templebar music centre couple weeks ago... god damn my youth. I can see where people would be coming from not wanting youngin's there, I suppose, but still... some bands might have broken up or something similarly horrific/gig-ending by the time I'm old enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Lets be honest here, underage=poor drink sales. What keeps a venue going? (clue not the ticket sales.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dee mm wrote:
    Lets be honest here, underage=poor drink sales. What keeps a venue going? (clue not the ticket sales.)

I'd accept that if they were not charging €20-30 for standing venues. They make very nicely all round.

The last gig I went to at the Village was so packed that going to the bar was not really an option anyway.

Having said that I am not sad that under 18s are kept out of most gigs I go to. It is hardly rare anymore for some over 18s to act like selfish ignorant pricks at gigs, this would be far more common if under 18s were allowed in.

Someone should just tell bands not to book into 18+ venues. Christ the gig is only on for 2 hours, surely people can go 2 hours without a drink, and drink before and after the gig, somewhere else.
    But yes, I see the point that its all to do with education and attitude, but anyway, someone tell the bands not to book into 18+ venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A lot of bands/artists have started doing under-18's gigs after people started petitions on their website bulletin boards. I know Damien Rice did an under-18's gig in Whelans earlier this year (where you could only get in if you were (or were accompanied by) a teenager.

So, hit your brother's favourite band's website and start the thread calling for an under 18's gig. Can't do any harm and it's sure to do more good than bitching about it on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Beekay wrote:
    Its a bit stupid, coz most rock and metal bands fans are under 18.they must lose loads of potential gig goers.

People over 18 do like music you know .. and those under 18 have their Westlife and their Kylies and their Busted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

tribble wrote:
    I personally wouldn't want anyone under 18 at a gig.

I want to relax, perhaps have a drink without a bunch of high pitched, hormone addled KIDS tearing about the place.

Make that under 21s to be sure.....

Kali, thats utter ****e.
    What happens when someone listens to bands ...like real bands, Useless input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm in the same situation as yourself Kersh, I've a 17 year old brother with great taste in music and it's next to impossible to find decent gigs to take him to outside of the summer festivals. As I said though, if you make artists aware that they've underage fans, most will organise no-alcohol concerts if they can...

• Advertisement

Will do Sleepy, well Ill get him to, he is on all their forums.

Advertisement