Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prob connecting a laptop with wireless to a pc via cable.

Options
  • 02-12-2004 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

right i am not great with these networks (as you are prob about to see) so any help would be great cheers

my friend has a laptop with a wireless connection to the internet. the broadband that was meant for my desktop never came and i am stuck without net access while he had it. not a problem. except i have half-life 2 and desperatly want to play it. he's agreed to connect his laptop up to my pc to allow me to sign up my half life 2 and let me play it.

a brief and easy solution...or so i thought.

both computers have been on networks before but for some bizarre reason no matter what i do neither of these computers can admit that there's a cable connecting them together. let alone the wireless connection in the laptop.

so any advice on how i slap sense into these 2 machines and get them sharing?

bizarre events:

-the laptop's firewall keeps telling me that its blocking a connection via tcp/p but EVERY attempt to tell it that its ok has led to no improvement in the situation.

overall i'm confused as hell both machines are running xp yet neither says a word when i connect the cable.

please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ok that problem was resolved just to be replaced with a bigger one. It seemed i had the wrong sort of ethernet cables (thank you BT) so the problem now is that i have to run the laptop through a router which is connected to my PC.

result?

my pc sings praises from its ass and works fine (first time ever) but the laptop wont allow access to both the router and the internet its due to them both having the same i.p's resulting in a total lack of co-operation.

now how do i get past this problem?

Advertisement