Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are we gonna start getting higher speeds

• 02-12-2004 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

With NTL and there 1.5mb line and all, when are we gonna start getting higher then 54kb/sec for dsl and not foor 100euros a month. We should get more bandwidth (BT, UTV and eircom users)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

yes we should, but id say we wont for quite some time yet

i mean compared to the rest of europe we are still back in the stone age as far as communications go, and i think eircom were actually proud to anounce the fact that the 100,000 person had been hooked up to broadband (or what passes for broadband here) recently

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The end of next year maybe, we are usually about two to three years behind the UK. I'm hoping that by next year NTL will have upgraded enough areas and will be offering 3Mbps, if they can get enough coverage they may force €irconmen to upgrade. Don't expect anything else other the cap increases until then :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

The question you should ask is when higher speed will be affordable. IBB has a 3MB line but it cost too much :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Don't expect anything else other the cap increases until then :mad:

im now starting to wonder is the above even too much too ask from eircom, its nearly been a year since the last cap upgrade with no signs of an upgrade coming soon:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

At the moment, Eircom control the vast amount of broadband connections. This dominance has meant that improvements have been delayed and minimal.

Countries that see year on year improvements tend to have vastly more competition than in Ireland and governments in those countries tend to take an active role in fostering that competition unlike Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Gonzo wrote:
    im now starting to wonder is the above even too much too ask from eircom, its nearly been a year since the last cap upgrade with no signs of an upgrade coming soon:(

And how long has it been since they reduced the price of their ADSL (not RADSL) product - 2/3 years? I'm not even sure it has even reduced at all since they introduced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Stop whinging - if it were economical then the other RADSL providers would have much larger caps. They don't, 16GB is the largest.

If Eircom were screwing you so much and there was an actual demand for BB in this country the NTL and the wireless boys would be all over the market. They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

This might be a stupid question but is NTL a DSL product or cable internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

tribble wrote:
    Stop whinging - if it were economical then the other RADSL providers would have much larger caps. They don't, 16GB is the largest.

If Eircom were screwing you so much and there was an actual demand for BB in this country the NTL and the wireless boys would be all over the market. They're not.

Stop whinging??? Why should we? I wouldn't even call it whinging. I would call it demanding a decent product for a decent price. A product which is offered by most of our neighbours. What do you suggest everybody do - bend over and let Eircom give it to us? As for your comments on "actual demand" - you've been reading too many Eircom press releases.

And, Zenith74, NTL is cable internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Dave McRedmond,

in defneding Eircom in an interview on Monring Ireland mentioned they were testing equipment which would extend the range (by about 300m) of their DSL product, and also allow for higher throughput for consumers near the excahnge .

I have heard whispers that this equipment will be rolled out in the spring so you may see some changes around then, but as noted above I would not expect anything dramatic.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

not much point in increasing speeds if you still keep the same caps in place.
    can you imagine having a 3 meg connection on a service capped to 4, 8 or 16 gig a month - broadband for 1 or 2 days a month??

what you will probably see happening in the future is metered broadband where you pay for a certain amount of data transfer or pay per meg / gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Mr_Man wrote:
    and also allow for higher throughput for consumers near the excahnge
    Ye to 513Kbps

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

can you imagine having a 3 meg connection on a service capped to 4, 8 or 16 gig a month - broadband for 1 or 2 days a month??

I was talking to some guy based in England who had a nice 4mbit connection but ... had a 10GB cap. That's 8 times the connection I have have and almost half my cap. Terrible stuff. He was also still stuck with 128 up.

Sounds like fun! ;)

Advertisement