Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with home network

Options
  • 02-12-2004 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

just have this prob with my network at home. i have assigned my computers ip addresses :

Comp 1: 192.168.0.1
    Comp 2: 192.168.0.2
    Comp 3: 192.168.0.3

subnet address: 255.255.255.0 and my DNS Servers are eircoms presets

im using a switch to network these, the computers see each other but when i try to access the internet, my DSL modem is plugged into the uplink port of my switch, it wont load any pages. however if i set my ip addresses automatically i have no problem in loading pages etc.

Also i cant seem to acces shared files on my Win 2K machine however accessing files on my XP machine from my Win 2K machine theres not problem.

I have the relevant ip address ranges set in my firewall (zone alarm) so i dont know what to do :confused:

any help lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

what's the IP address of your router - have you set this address as ur default gateway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

would that be my Local WAN IP address or my Remote Gateway Address?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm.. maybe the router is taking 192.168.0.1 ?

try .2,.3,.4 and see what happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

just a question about your switch, is it a router too or just plain switch. If it is a plain switch you can't just get all PC to access the internet, you need a router, or NAT software like Windows Internet Sharing Connection. That'll do the job. My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

when ur PC works with an automatic address, what IP address does it pick up and what's ur default gateway. type ipconfig in a dos window

If you are using a router (and not just a modem) it may be configured with DHCP, and the routers configured LAN address may not fall within the same IP Network as ur workstations - 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

its a normal switch, how do i set ICS for my bb connection? i though you could only do this on a dial up connection??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

try www.wown.com. good resource getting a home LAN up and running. good luck.

Advertisement