Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What new/coming soon smartphone is hot right now?

Options
  • 03-12-2004 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I have a 6600 but I'm planning on upgrading soon. I'm quite attached to the Symbian O/S and price-wise I'd like to stay below €500.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 davidk

As a long time P800/P900 user, I'd still recommend the P900 if you need all the functionality and the touch screen (P910 not really worth it).

But I've been very impressed with the i-mate SP3 if you'd consider an MS-based phone; the Motorola MPX220 is also nice if you prefer clamshell. Otherwise, the Sendo X isn't a bad option and the i-mate Jam looks very tempting too.

DK

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

The symbian phone of the moment seems to be the nokia 6630. S60, faster processor, EDGE and 3G. They are out or due out soon on contract with vodafone.
    If you are buying sim free the sendo X or nokia 7610/6670 are probably the best at the minute. You can pick them up for less than 500. Take a look at nomatica.com or pixmania.com

A good site to check out is allaboutsymbian.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Robot

Take a look at the Panasonic X700. It was just released two days ago and should be in the shops soon. I've been waiting for it for months and I'm damn excited about getting it.

http://www.panasonicmobile.com/e_eng/products/x700/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Take a look at the Panasonic X700. It was just released two days ago and should be in the shops soon. I've been waiting for it for months and I'm damn excited about getting it.
    Does anyone have any ideas on the release date for this phone in the shops? and any ideas whether itll be a vodafone/o2/meteor?? I really need new phone and this one looks gorgeous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Robot

Well i've recently emailed meteor o2 and vodafone and none of them have heard anything about it being released in Ireland. It is on vodafone in other countries such as germany and holland, so it seems likely that some time in the future it should be here. But you're best bet is to do what I'm planning on doing, buy it sim free online. Its going to be an expensive phone (probably around €400), so if you can afford it wait a few weeks and it should be on sim free phone sites like mphone.co.uk. It is available from america at the moment but I'd wait until its more widely available to see where to get it the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

ok thanks very much robot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

sposedly the nokia 7710 is brilliant. a few are available now for like $650 but i dunno where u can get ur hands on 1. Nokia 7710

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

richieg wrote:
    If you are buying sim free the sendo X or nokia 7610/6670 are probably the best at the minute.

Hi, seriously considering the Sendo X, was wondering if anyone had (or heard of) any problems with them? The reviews seem to be quite generous to it.

TIA

- Dru

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

In the same boat here. Quite a number of people recommend it. People take the bait, are hooked and then buy something else for some reason.

Spent most of the evening reading about it and it's such an impressive phone. Ok it's old enough at this stage and has a crap camera but it's a phone, not a digital camera. I've been wanting a Symbian phone and they're all so expensive... Until I checked this. The feature list is pretty amazing.

Was previously considering the 6260 and, unfortunately, the 6600 (I think it's ugly). This seems to surpass them by leaps and bounds. Anyhow it's got my vote. Whether I get it or not is a different story. If I do, and thus the "buy something else" curse doesn't hit me, then I'll post on here but wont be until late next month at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

That panasonic doesn't look too bad, not a fan of that sendo though, the buttons look impossible to use - and this is from a current user of the original SPV (with small buttons).
    I was just about to upgrade to the SP3i until Dubwireless pointed out some issues that were being reported about it, I did some follow up and it seems that the SP3i is causing lots of grief with regard to build quality/design. The joystick is a problem apparently. I might just go ahead and get an SP3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

I have the Sendo x.
    Very happy with it. Got it off expansys with a 1GB memory card for around 370euro.
    Have a load of software on it. There is quite a lot of useful freeware for series 60 phones. I also got DVD to mobile and have the whole of familyguy season 2 on the memory card with great sound and picture. MP3 player is quite good too with good stereo sound. Memory card is hotswappable too if you have a few cards.
    I would say to upgrade the firmware once you get it from the sendo site.
    Was going to get a pda but now I have all that i need in a cheaper, smaller, package with good battery life too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Cool. :D Looking forward to getting it. I'll pick up an SD or MMC card another time I think.

Actually... Anyone know of anywhere in Dublin (city centre) that has the Sendo X? It'd be nice to take a peek. Don't think they're in the shops though. Ah well... The specs are there. The buttons etc I'll get used to, if I need to. :)

Advertisement