Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New road signage in Cork

• 03-12-2004 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

I notice there are new road signs in cork city centre with references such as J1, J2 etc. Having not been able to keep in touch with the news in the past few days, I hadn't heard about it before I saw the signs. They are high quality reflective signs which is very welcome.

The J, I assume stands for Johnson, but he prefers to be called J.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

:-)

Saw one last night for the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MG wrote:
    I notice there are new road signs in cork city centre with references such as J1, J2 etc. Having not been able to keep in touch with the news in the past few days, I hadn't heard about it before I saw the signs. They are high quality reflective signs which is very welcome. The J, I assume stands for Johnson, but he prefers to be called J.
    Probably "junction". In Dublin, two inner orbital routes have been designated and you can pick up maps in libraries and petrol stations, so you can plan your journey away from the very city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

"orbital junctions! orbital junctions? is dat de new ting now is it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Except nobody in Dublin actually uses them because a) there is no explaination signs to give motorists approaching the city that an orbital route exists and b) the signage is microscopic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The J, I assume stands for Johnson, but he prefers to be called J.

LMAO Dowtcha boy

I've seen these nes additions to the city signage as well. They just kind of popped up all of a sudden. I presume that the signs, along with the frenzied pace of road works, probably has something to do with the pending capital of culture malarky.

The part of the signs that reference N22 N8 etc are fine, I understand that, but I would have to honestly admit that I have no idea where junction J15 is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If there was ever a place that needed a spend on road signs, its cork....going on my experience going round in circles in traffic last year. Its no harm to have signs for other places apart from Dublin like :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

BrianD wrote:
    Except nobody in Dublin actually uses them because a) there is no explaination signs to give motorists approaching the city that an orbital route exists and b) the signage is microscopic.

I use them all the time.

Not the junction part, though, which is only useful if you have a map, but the directional info, e.g. <- N2 N3 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

was there any announcement made about these signs?

seen some of them alright, but only blue ones. is there only 1 orbital route in cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dmeehan wrote:
    seen some of them alright, but only blue ones. is there only 1 orbital route in cork?
    It actually has quite a few - it's just that they overlap and stop half way. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

While on the subject of Cork signs, how about a few signs for the railway station. There are loads of signs for the airport and the ferry port but to the best of my knowledge there is only one for the train station which appears to date from the 50's, is so filthy it can't be read and is in a crap position. Considering the station is on a one way system it would be a welcome addition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement