Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 shortage, where can I get one...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

steeo wrote:
    There is no Xtravision on Thomas Street ???

The nearest 1 is in Inchicore

There is - I wasnt dreaming steeo!

I even checked my receipt and it says Thomas Street! Its not listed on the xtravision website though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

any idea where else has them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

All the shops I went into over the w/e looking for them said they were getting deliveries this week. Smyth's in Tallaght said they were getting
    100 of them on Friday. Game in the Square said Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Update

Was talking to somebody who works for a games distributor this morning and he said that he doesn't expect to see any PS2 restock before Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

i was told to stop taking pre-books for them a fort-night ago in xtra-vision.
    there are already alot of frantic parents running about the gaf. looking very scared. every thing i have heard does not sound good for getting them this side of christmas. but what do i know. good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

the reason why there are no ps2 slimlines available it that the cargo ship carrying them over to europe got stuck in the suez canal when that closed for two weeks(why i dont know) with 110 another ships and the sony one was number 67 to get out so it isnt really sony s fault, they have hired the huge antinov(spelling) planes to get more over here but it aint going to cover the demand for them, ive been told in work that we may have them next thursday but no guarentees, my advice is to keep trying your local shop every day as they could come in at any moment or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

is it worth ordering one from amazon?
    they seem to have the slim for 95uk

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Update: 100% of retailers to get something...

http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?id=626

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

thursday there will be some! limited availability so if youre buyin for kids you better skip work and get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

Its not listed on the xtravision website though.

Directory enquires don't have there number either any chance of sticking the number up as i'm looking for a while for 1 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

why are people still looking for a ps2?
    its well over 4 years old, and looking really dated. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

because...it's a SONY?

+GTA San Andreas
    +MGS 3
    +Gran Turismo

That's about it. :D

steeo wrote:
    Directory enquires don't have there number either any chance of sticking the number up as i'm looking for a while for 1 aswell.

Sorry steeo - I dont have the number anymore - I had it on a post-it but I must threw it in the bin.

I found out about them having the PS2 by emailing xtravision at iinfo@blockbuster.com. The girl who replied was really helpful - I think she rang most of the xtravisions in Dublin for me =) Send them a quick email asking them for the Thomas Street phone number and just check with them if they know any other branches which might have them.

Hope you're in luck, I got mine in Thomas Street 10 days ago - they had plenty of boxes around the shop though.

Was in Thomas Street yesterday at lunchtime.
    Very new and nice looking shop with lots of PS2 boxes,
    unfortunately there's nothing in them! Bloke said they would be getting a delivery this Friday.
    Is all this talk of shortages real or just Sony making sure there's a panic so when it does hit the shops, it will be snapped up.
    No XBOX shortage and if the parents looking for PS2's don't get them, I wonder how many will go the XBOX route? If that happens a lot of lost revenue for Sony.

okidoki987 wrote:
    Is all this talk of shortages real or just Sony making sure there's a panic so when it does hit the shops, it will be snapped up.

Think its real alright, most of the small retailers I phoned said they wont be getting any back in before xmas - think they're all going to the main dealers like Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

MiCr0 wrote:
    is it worth ordering one from amazon?
    they seem to have the slim for 95uk

Yeah, I think its worth it. I've bought a fair bit of stuff from them and never had a problem. My last purchase was a Toshiba multi-region DVD player which arrived quickly and intact, it was also much cheaper even with the postal charges. £95 seems a good price and as it does not seem likely you will get one here before Xmas I'd be inclined to go for it.

This is crazy though, 3 weeks before Xmas and a PS2 shortage, great planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yuri

It wasn't a plan. Some how a lot of ps2s were sunk to the bottum of the sea. I think a boat crashed or something. Sony are going to get the ps2s to shops before christmas.

In case anyone thinks I'm lying I heard this info on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Hmm so it seems now would be a goodtime to sell my 2month old ps2 :D

Bloke on TodayFM with Matt Cooper tonight saying there would be loads(!) sent out to the shops either Friday or next week.

em GAME and possibly all the rest will be gettin ps2s tomorrow. i know my hsop is only gettin 100 or less so if youre after one then you better get in tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Say Evad what would a newish ps2 fetch for a trade-in, in game anywho?

once it works fine youll get 50 euro. not worth it tbh. doesnt matter if it has the box or even if the thing is stil in shrink wrap youll only get 50 euro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yuri wrote:
    It wasn't a plan. Some how a lot of ps2s were sunk to the bottum of the sea. I think a boat crashed or something. Sony are going to get the ps2s to shops before christmas.

In case anyone thinks I'm lying I heard this info on the radio.

Don't you just love Chinese whispers? ^ unless you can provide a link to reputable news web site with such a story – I’ll consider the above a crock of sh|t.

I’m guessing it started from the story about the back log of ships in Suez Canal – (they didn’t sink!) which Sony says has pretty much nothing to do with the current shortage.
    okidoki987 wrote:
    Bloke on TodayFM with Matt Cooper tonight saying there would be loads(!) sent out to the shops either Friday or next week.

There was a good bit of nose where I was listening to it, but are you sure any one said ‘loads’? Was it Niall or Pavel who said ‘loads’?
    This is crazy though, 3 weeks before Xmas and a PS2 shortage, great planning.

The apparent huge demand after the redesign wasn’t expected – it’s a four year old console for god sake. As well as the new owners, who was to think lots of people who owned the console would go out and buy a second one? (or convince their parents to do so)

but you see it's not as if the parents have to be convinced to buy the new one,most parents i get in are asking me for "the new playstation 3" and then they just can understand that it's the same thing only smaller with a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Softboy

JUst a quick note, game on grafton street (dunno about the other game shops) have got about 170 of them in this morning, theyd sold 30 by the time i got mine. They've thrown up the price too mind, 204 for ps2, mem card and extra controller. 240 with a game of which they have fifa/getaway/need for speed and a few others. just thought i'd share.

Just legged it down to Henry Street, sa w a Q in Game so went into HMV.
    They have a notice in the window
    "PS2 IN STOCK. ONE PER PERSON"
    I walked downstairs and see 2 people walking up the steps with £ of them!
    159.99 for the PS2 SLIMLINE and no "special offers".
    Not sure about any other shops just glad to get me hands on one, I'll now avoid severe earache this Xmas!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I got one this morning. I had sold it on eBay but the guy seems to have done a runner so I will have to put it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Try the Suez Canal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cathey

got the ps2 about half one in HMV in swords today. it was the second last one left! Its a present for my boyfriend, got the memory card and another controller aswell. only thing is now i have to buy a game cos i want him to have somthing to play when he gets it chrimbo day. Would any of you have any recommendations of good games to buy?i havent a clue and the shops are so busy these days its hard to get someone to talk to. He is very into soccer.

Thanks

PS: smyths havent got any of there PS2 in ...my friend works there, they are getting them in 2moro. also they keep there fone of the hook for most of the day just in case ur wonderin why its always engaged. called into swords today and the lady said 2moro morning first thing they will be seeling them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Do you think the massive demand is because some people do think its a PS3??? If so thats terrible, i havnt seen any advertising for it or anything, but it still seems to be flying off the shelves, specailly for a 4 year old system.

Then again maybe those people who think it is the new ps3 deserve to waste thier money on it. Do some research before you drop the penny (or in this case, 200 eypos) on something ffs

I have a ps2 at home, but i'm not gonna rush out and buy this, just cos its smaller.

Advertisement