Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the greatest album of the last fifty years?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    nevermind is good, but put it up against any of the aforementioned "greatest" albums and it looks decidedely out of place.

BTW about Q magazine.. didn't they rate OK Computer as one of the greatest albums of all time at one stage? whatever did happen to that? smile.gif
    </font>

i agree! ok computer rocked, but was maybe surpassed by nevermind.
    and mt all time favoritealbum is siamese dream by the SMASHING PUMPKINS

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks.

It's the only Van album anyone needs bother with. His first and his best. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish,

I'm the Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

I think the most important album is Sgt. Pepper, but the ones that influenced me?

The Verve-Urban Hymns.. Bittersweet Symphony can be credited for getting me into music!
    The Doors-The Doors.. so different from anything else rock, and Jim Morrison is a crazy dude!
    Radiohead, Beatles, and Led Zeppelin are all high on my list too.

frood4t2

frood4t2
    3stooges@mags.net[email][/email]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Surprised no-one has mentioned Micheal Jackson's "Thriller" album.

Great in my personal estimation? No
    Great in the general consensus of the world as far as buying stats go? Definatly.

Just cause he's a freak, doesn't mean he didn't have the world hooked on his tunes at one stage!

My personal estimation of the best, well-rounded album I've ever heard is Jeff Buckley's "Grace", talent, style, expression(the reason, in my book anyway, for music in the first place) and superb musicianship with absolutly no weak tracks whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Buying stats eh? Sure the two albums above Thriller on the list are Rumors by Fleetwood Mac and Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack smile.gif

All of which are eclipsed (hohoho) by Dark Side Of The Moon which spent 14 years in the charts (and 4th best selling album i think?) ... several tracks on which made use of one of the earliest synthesisers, and remains one of the best concept and one of the greatest albums ever made.

Dunno bout Grace, personally I've completly killed Jeff Buckley from overplay for the past year or so... still good though I guess.

[edit]delete Air bit.. should be in another post[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 04-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The word greatest seems to be applied rather loosely here. Alot of ppl are reading it as their favourite album and relying as such, and others are treating their own choices with skepicism, which means you discount those. Perhaps the question should be which album most influenced music that was to come afterwards?

I don't know particular ablums ... but pretty much anything from the beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix?

Redesigned

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

It holds the most significance for me however, concerning it's relevenace in the last 50 years..well I've only been around for 20 so how could I know? I'm not enough of a retro head I'm afraid smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭syringe

Turn The Radio Off - Reel Big Fish.
    End of conversation wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

NEVER MIND THE ******** - HERE'S THE SEX PISTOLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

and 20 years later ******** is still censored....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by harVee:
    and 20 years later ******** is still censored....</font>

lol.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche

Advertisement