Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost [Contains spoilers]

• 03-12-2004 10:52am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, anyone watching this. Only on US tv at the moment but an absolute triller!

Hyzepher

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i fully agree with the man this is one of the best bits of tele i have seen in ages watched the first 7 episiodes last night and watching more this evening - god bless broadband

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Along with S3 of "The Wire", "Lost" is the best show currently airing on US TV. Fantastic stuff at times. What's most wonderful is the sense of character development - everyone has already fit their mould and I care about most of them. Some superb acting too - Dominic Monaghan and Terry O'Quinn that means you! And yet they still squeeze in interesting stories with lots of "ohhhh!" moments. I've seen all ten episodes that have aired so far and 100000% recommend everyone watch it when it hits these shores in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I've been download Lost religously for the last 11 weeks, and it is absolutely the best TV drama being aired this season. As ixoy says, the character development is excellent (I love the back stories for each of the characters - Sawyer's in particular was very very clever). Can't wait to see where it goes from here. The season cliffhanger is pretty much guaranteed to be a humdinger......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Every bloody episode seems to be a cliffhanger. More twists than a portion of curly fries in McDonalds.

The character development is the high point of the show and the flashback element helps to expand the characters without losing their sense of mystery between each other. I also like the way that each character is more or less being developed per episode so you get something fresh as the series goes on.

I won't even try and work out what the feck is going on - plot is brilliant

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Loving this too, probably my favourite show at the moment. Certainly the one I pick up and have to see the same night. Enjoyed the Locke and Charlie backstories most so far.

Think they may have revealed some elements too quickly in places, particularly:
    the French woman, the mysterious figure Jack saw on the beach
    but on the whole this is great stuff. Let's hope JJ & Co can keep the standard up.

The concept of one character being the focus of each episode has been done before, but not as well as this, IMO. (Incidentally, 1x10 focused on Claire who was *not* originally meant to be a full cast member. She was listed as a Guest Star in the original pilot - the one with the more effective freaky music.)

Will be interesting to see what they do when they've gone through each of the cast once. With the exception of Sayid and Sawyer (or Not Sawyer), we know why everyone was on the plane so far. There's certainly enough new material thrown up in the first set of flashbacks to add to in a second set.

Can't recommend this highly enough to those who'll see it in January's schedules; everyone will be talking about it in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Yeah, some back-stories are revisited.... Focus of the next few episodes are:

Episode 11 for
    Jack
    Episode 12 for
    Kate - looking forward to this one
    Episode 13 for
    Boone
    Episode 14 for
    Michael/Walter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Just adding my whole hearted support for this show. One good thing about this show is that you can see it at least making it to the third season. I've learned my lesson from "failed" series and don't download now unless it's at least going to see the season out (RIP Wonderfalls & Jake 2.0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

doh.ie wrote:
    Loving this too, probably my favourite show at the moment. Certainly the one I pick up and have to see the same night. Enjoyed the Locke and Charlie backstories most so far.

Think they may have revealed some elements too quickly in places, particularly:
    the French woman, the mysterious figure Jack saw on the beach
    but on the whole this is great stuff. Let's hope JJ & Co can keep the standard up.

Gotta agree, it gave away the basic premise behind the series for me anyway.
    But the strange thing is it doesnt detract from the enjoyment of the show, the
    fact that im 90% sure of whats actually happening.
    Great series though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Great show - it's no coincidence that the Alias creator, JJ Abrams, is behind this. There are very good cliff hanger endings to most episodes. Last week's ending was intriguing.

The only bad thing is that there is a 4 week break after this week's episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'm resisting the urge to download this sofar.....who has the rights to show it in Ireland and/or Uk...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've also seen each episode so far... It really is great stuff...

And it has Delenn out of Babylon 5 in it.... how cool is that?

RuggieBear wrote:
    i'm resisting the urge to download this sofar.....who has the rights to show it in Ireland and/or Uk...?
    Not sure if any Irish channels have picked it up, but E4 are starting it in January.

- Dave.

I believe I heard somewhere that RTE TWO had it... Can't say for sure, though.
    It's Touchstone, and most of their deals are not with TV3 or TG4, so RTE TWO is
    a pretty safe bet.

doh.ie wrote:
    I believe I heard somewhere that RTE TWO had it... Can't say for sure, though..
    When Network 2 became RTE2 I saw a list of the programs they had destined to air and it included "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives". I'm pretty sure it did anyway (defintetely had DH).
    *Sigh* One more episode and then a stupid break for stupid Christmas. BAH HUMBUG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CJ_Will

I agree. One of the best shows on right now. In addition to the GREAT individual character development, I'm interested to see where they go with the mystery factor of the island itself. (why everyone has these personal revelations just being there, as well as the "monster" and polar bears and such).

The only problem is so far they haven't given away too many answers... just more and more questions...

Remember back when it seemed like the X-files had this really good and well thought out mystery conspiracy going on? But after about 4 seasons you realised they were just making up crap as they went along.

But I think I have faith in Lost.. they seem to know what they are doing with it...

I loved that Physic guy last week.. he was really creepy looking...

I want to know what the story with Ethan is.... now HE is creepy looking!

TmB wrote:
    I want to know what the story with Ethan is.... now HE is creepy looking!

Oh my guess would be that he's
    the French woman's missing son...

But I want to see more of the guy with the rash... I wonder what his story is...

Oh my guess would be that he's...
    But I want to see more of the guy with the rash... I wonder what his story is...

I have the same guess about Ethan. As for the rash guy, Delenn did make some suggestion which made me wonder if there was a disease/virus on the island...

I thought
    Danielle's son was called Alex? Unless he went missing at a very young age, didn't know his own name, and picked up the name from somewhere else...?
    . I suppose we'll find out in due course.

• Advertisement

doh.ie wrote:
    I have the same guess about Ethan. As for the rash guy, Delenn did make some suggestion which made me wonder if there was a disease/virus on the island...

I reckon Locke is the infected one
    I mean... it pretty much looked like he got eaten by the monster.

And TmB,
    He lied about being on the plane, I'm sure he lied about his name as well. It sounded like he was making it up on the spot when Hurly was asking for the details.

Hopefully tomorrows episode will answer a few questions for us (and its going to be a painful 4 week wait for episode 12....)

Any chance of having this thread re-titled to include spoilers? Even with the spoiler space, there's still large spoilers floating around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

ixoy wrote:
    Any chance of having this thread re-titled to include spoilers? Even with the spoiler space, there's still large spoilers floating around.

Sure. :)

Does episode one start
    With some guy waking up in the middle of some trees before he races onto the beach to discover the crashed plane. As he tries to save someone some guy says why dont they try the hole trick to which the guy goes go find me a pen.

Yep, thats the one.

Thanks man, Im really looking forward to watching the series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Anyone seen last nights? (US only of course)

Hyzepher

Hyzepher wrote:
    Anyone seen last nights? (US only of course)
    I ordered the video off my US cousins this morning. Should have arrived by the time I get home so I'll report back here around 19:30 when it's watched.

• Advertisement

Mine's in this morning - everyone must convert to using Azureus and an RSS feed. Automatically gets them in the middle of the night.

But unfortunately, I'm off to the UK today so I won't get to see it until Saturday! Grr. Argh!

Sign of a top-notch show when you can't wait to view it though. Shame this is the last new one for a while.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

downloading as we speak will have it when i go home :)

My "cousin" is sending "the tape" to me by "courier" as we speak. Should have it in 3 hours, 6 minutes. God bless "DHL". :D

TmB wrote:
    My "cousin" is sending "the tape" to me by "courier" as we speak. Should have it in 3 hours, 6 minutes. God bless "DHL". :D

DHL is a great way to get it. I must make a point of UPS-ing it for longer after it's in. Have a bad habit of just grabbing and running when I'm dying to see stuff.

Just watched it and - great as usual! I was
    in tears when they found Charlie dead and were trying to ressucitate him. I tried to argue with himself that I'd only known the characters a few weeks, and that given the island is all about second chances I knew he'd have to survive... didn't stop me.

Anyone else notice Locke seems more rundown this week? As if the conflict and evil in the island is affecting him and his link with it? And what has he and Boone discovered???? Why do I have to wait four weeks!

And Ethan? You kick ass! He was great kicking the crap out of Jack.

A from me. Again. Dammit hurry up next episode.

I just watched it now.

Very tense stuff. Although I think the flashbacks, while good, sort of interupted the flow of things a little.

• Advertisement

oh yes.. In case anyone is interested, I found out what the French transmission was actually saying.
    "it is outside, they are all dead, please help us". And then "If anyone hears this, I'll try to reach the black rock".

How the F**K are we supposed to wait 4 friggin' weeks for the next episode?? :eek:

Another amazing episode, especially the scene ixoy mentioned. Its amazing
    how attached we've become to the characters after only 11 episodes
    . Powerful TV, and by far the best new show this season.

Did anyone think that there was a reference to the Two Towers?
    When they are tracking Charlie and Claire and they find Charlie has left a clue to let them know which way they are going... just like he did with the elven pendant in Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers

I hate cliffhangers!! I liked the 'Abyss' moment as well. I wasn't as confident of a happy outcome there as I'd read that there will be characters getting killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Great episode - I don't know I am going to able to wait for 4 weeks to find out what happened next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Before I start I will say that I do like some of Alias and JJ Abrams obviously has a fertile mind. I was open to this show and have been extremely disappointed by its predictability. I have just watched part 1 of the pilot and I just can't see what Lost has going for it. All I see is a lot of nicked ideas.

Let's start

Basic concept - Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson
    Plane crash on beach - Castaway, Lord of The Flies
    Thing in jungle - Take your pick of any animal horror movie - Hound of Baskervilles/Predator/any Werewolf movie springs to mind
    Moving trees and animal noises - Jurassic Park

The trailer for Part 2 was on at the end.

And guess what

Group spilts up - Lord of the Flies
    Man with gun - Lord of the Flies

In summary even though I will check out one or two other episodes, I think the scope for long term development of plot is limited. The premise is too simple , they are marooned and they want to be rescued. Tom Hanks did it in two hours and they've all seen the movie !! :D I think it will be hard to convince anyone that they stay stuck on this island for any length of time. Wonder would it have been better to do a mini-series. Would expect it to last only one season.

Hope the details I mention haven't spoilt it too much for anyone but I think you'll find most synopses of show will include all of this and it is pretty obvious what is going to happen.

is_that_so wrote:
    Before I start I will say that I do like some of Alias and JJ Abrams obviously has a fertile mind. I was open to this show and have been extremely disappointed by its predictability. I have just watched part 1 of the pilot and I just can't see what Lost has going for it. All I see is a lot of nicked ideas.

Let's start

Basic concept - Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson
    Plane crash on beach - Castaway, Lord of The Flies
    Thing in jungle - Take your pick of any animal horror movie - Hound of Baskervilles/Predator/any Werewolf movie springs to mind
    Moving trees and animal noises - Jurassic Park

The trailer for Part 2 was on at the end.

And guess what

Group spilts up - Lord of the Flies
    Man with gun - Lord of the Flies

In summary even though I will check out one or two other episodes, I think the scope for long term development of plot is limited. The premise is too simple , they are marooned and they want to be rescued. Tom Hanks did it in two hours and they've all seen the movie !! :D I think it will be hard to convince anyone that they stay stuck on this island for any length of time. Wonder would it have been better to do a mini-series. Would expect it to last only one season.

Hope the details I mention haven't spoilt it too much for anyone but I think you'll find most synopses of show will include all of this and it is pretty obvious what is going to happen.

Let's Start

Basic concept - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Plane crash on beach - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Thing in jungle - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Moving trees and animal noises - Guess what....Therefore this can't ever be done again?

You can only watch shows that are 100% purely original?

And the rating are extremely good so it'll last at least 3 seasons I reckon.

I advise you to watch it for a few more episodes (it's worth it) and then come back here and post your thoughts.

is_that_so wrote:
    Before I start I will say that I do like some of Alias and JJ Abrams obviously has a fertile mind. I was open to this show and have been extremely disappointed by its predictability. I have just watched part 1 of the pilot and I just can't see what Lost has going for it. All I see is a lot of nicked ideas
    Firstly, as Raoul Duke says, it's incredibly daft to put down something because of broad similarities. By that token, we should never ever have any show again with cops/investigative units etc. because we've had them all. There should never again be a show involving the relationships of people because there already exists soap operas...

Secondly, you've seen one episode. The show is not predictable and it's got, currently, the best characterisation of any show on TV. I can't think of any other show which has caused me to shed tears as much as this has in the half season we've had so far or care so much about a group of people. There are plenty of original ideas coming too and a great sense of mystery - and this is from someone who craves such creativity, loving "Alias", "Carnivale" , "Twin Peaks", and other more "out there" shows.

Seriously, stick with it. There are lots of others on this thread who will tell you just how damned good it is and who watch a hella lot of TV to be able to compare it with *coughdohdotiecough*. It's the best new show of the season and worthy of everyone's time.

ixoy wrote:
    There are lots of others on this thread who will tell you just how damned good it is and who watch a hella lot of TV to be able to compare it with *coughdohdotiecough*. It's the best new show of the season and worthy of everyone's time.

Funny.

Is That So, you're definitely way off the mark on this one. The individual character flashbacks from episode 3 onwards (compared to just the flashbacks to the crash in the plot) work incredibly well in getting to know these castaways and that *isn't* an element I've seen used this successfully in any other show in a long, long time.

Not alone that, but this does not turn out to be standard monster-on-island fare, nor standard stranded-survivors-must-band-together storytelling. This is unique, with twists and turns everywhere you turn, and the most engrossing bunch of characters I've seen on television in ages. I defy anyone not to care passionately about these people after just a handful of episodes!

Is That So also only appears to have seen one episode, and only HALF of the pilot at that. Far from enough to form an opinion of how the show will go. When I show people the pilot, I've tended to show the original movie version (slightly different music, but it works better as a whole.) I certainly wouldn't advise the pilot to be seen in two 45 mins chunks over too weeks - and I hope E4 have the sense to do a movie-length version.

As for the most recent episode...
    Gah! I was *sure* *sure* *sure* Charlie was a gonner. I think I didn't breathe for the four minutes that scene lingered on. Thank heavens for the magical island!

Despite him being my favourite character, it wouldn't have surprised me at all if Abrams had his death planned from the start. As someone else said, this was what we were told from early on. A magazine article I have on the show from last June omitted to include Claire in the cast photo and I was sure she was going to die early, or in childbirth at that point. (That plus the fact she was only a "Guest Star" on the original pilot. Ironically, Jack wasn't originally written to last beyond the first episode either!!!) So the danger signs were always in my mind; that none of the characters were safe, no matter how much backstory they had, or how much we'd grown to love them. In fact, the MORE as an audience we grow to like them, the more their morality might be an issue!

Anyway, still no word on who Ethan is, but he seems very strong and very skilled at making his way through the jungle, and hanging VH-1 has-been's up in a tree. I still reckon he's probably Alex, given the wanting of Claire's baby. Wouldn't explain his Canadian/American accent, though. Maybe he's a real world serial killer/deranged guy who - by his evil nature - came into contact with the Alexs of the island and they asked him for help...

Hmm. Too much spoiler space. Mini spoiler novel. Sorry!

ixoy wrote:
    Anyone else notice Locke seems more rundown this week? As if the conflict and evil in the island is affecting him and his link with it? And what has he and Boone discovered???? Why do I have to wait four weeks!

I reckon
    they've found where the 'others' have been hiding from the 'monster', or Danielle's transmission site (though it doesn't seem high enough).

Also, notice Walt's ability to continuously roll the numbers he needed for backgammon? The island seems to be helping people gain what they need - life for Charlie, legs for Locke - indeed, the philosopher Locke, now we know he's called John! - and something as seemingly insignificant as the roll of a die for Walt... Question is, what does someone have to give it *back*...

As for the four-week wait... NOOOOO! If we can barely handle this, how will we survive a summer break? At least we have new 24 and Carnivale early in January.

And just be thankful it didn't end on a cliffhanger of
    Charlie hanging up there, or Jack's initially futile attempts at CPR. For CPR read 'beating him up and breaking his ribs'.

In regards to the most recent episode:
    I'm glad I didn't read anything saying a character would die because it left me with no expectations of what may or may not befall Charlie. I've seen "The Abyss" and some part of me knew what might happen (that and the flashback clearly indicating Jack would get to save this patient) but it IS J.J. "Two years gone? What the ****?!" Abrams so nothing was certain (Incidentally, that Alias S2 finale stands as possibly the greatest season finale of all time).

I'm trying to puzzle out if Ethan = Alex. I thought the connection might be made when Said ran back into camp with the news of Rousseau/Delenn and her kid, Alex (who I thought would be a girl). Maybe Claire's baby is to replace Alex for someone - maybe Rousseau never killed the father properly and they want their kid back?

One thing the writers did very well this episode was not to show us Charlie and Claire once they vanished. A weaker show would have shown us them with Ethan during the episode, to reassure us. Instead all we get here were glimpses of their passage, and a brilliantly savage attack by Ethan on Jack and then that horrifying sight of Charlie hanging from the tree (I don't like being made to shed tears Mr TV!!! Tricksy and false!).

Speculation time: What did Locke and Boone discover at the end? Metal yes - but was it a large box? A piece of wreckage? An underground shelter (although, if the latter, the parting shot should have been a hatchway)? And was it fate that had the torch land on it or pure coincidence?

Hmm. Could I have more spoiler stuff in those posts...?

This one is spoiler free.

Agree with the Abrams comment - you just never know, and I think we need to keep that in mind for the rest of the season, and particularly towards the end. He is devious!
    ixoy wrote:
    One thing the writers did very well this episode was not to show us Charlie and Claire once they vanished. A weaker show would have shown us them with Ethan during the episode, to reassure us.

Monkey fudge is right - definitely a homage to The Two Towers here. And definitely a stronger way of hyping up the dramatic tension.
    ixoy wrote:
    Instead all we get here were glimpses of their passage, and a brilliantly savage attack by Ethan on Jack and then that horrifying sight of Charlie hanging from the tree (I don't like being made to shed tears Mr TV!!! Tricksy and false!).

Indeed. One of the TV image-burnt-in-mind moments of the year. Well, that and Sherry Palmer getting a bullet.
    ixoy wrote:
    Speculation time: What did Locke and Boone discover at the end? Metal yes - but was it a large box? A piece of wreckage? An underground shelter (although, if the latter, the parting shot should have been a hatchway)? And was it fate that had the torch land on it or pure coincidence?

Maybe we can make this thread a US-only one and avoid delving into the spoiler abyss once more! (deep breath)
    Ah, a box. I didn't think of that, obvious as it seems now. I just assumed it was a hatch. But if it is, I agree that it's a lost, pardon the pun, cliffhanger opportunity not to show them going in. Also, what with all the banging they did on it, it'll be no surprise if they get caught! ...Not to mention Jack and Kate SCREAMING at each other every five mintues. Was it any wonder Ethan found them?! (He reminds me of Caleb from the final episodes of Buffy, by the way. He certainly can throw a punch like the preacher! He was also the husband in The American version of The Grudge. Which means that any second now that kid will appear and... "Auhhuhhhhuhhhhhh!"

ixoy wrote:
    Firstly, as Raoul Duke says, it's incredibly daft to put down something because of broad similarities. By that token, we should never ever have any show again with cops/investigative units etc. because we've had them all. There should never again be a show involving the relationships of people because there already exists soap operas...
    My points about the show are that I noticed so much about it that was so completely unoriginal that I feel disinclined to watch any more. In other words it didn't convince me to come back again. But for the convrted , enjoy :). I don't feel Im missing out.

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Let's Start

Basic concept - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Plane crash on beach - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Thing in jungle - Therefore this can't ever be done again?
    Moving trees and animal noises - Guess what....Therefore this can't ever be done again?

I have commented on these above.
    It's not so much the lack of originality as the lack of scope. I wouldn't watch a show where people were stupid enough to stay on an island for more than one season, but you obviously enjoy it and that's cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement