Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks bloody good!

According to this article on Digitalspy, Lost is starting on Channel 4 in August. They're recruiting the castmembers for some special promos which should air over the summer.

No mention of E4 in the article, so people with Sky Digital could be S.O.L. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

TmB wrote:
    According to this article on Digitalspy, Lost is starting on Channel 4 in August. They're recruiting the castmembers for some special promos which should air over the summer.

I read that today, I can't believe the C4 are waiting until August to show this! How many viewers are they going to loose between now and then because of torrents and file sharing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. it's mad to think that we'll all have seen the entire series by the time those promos air!!

I thought Channel 4 postponed it due to Point Pleasant (has now been cancelled in the US), not Desperate Housewives (one show which i like at the start, but now have grew very weary of!)

Ah well.. i'd say the promo's should be interesting stuff! Probably just the cast in character talking about themselves /their experiences interweaved with footage of the crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

SteM wrote:
    I read that today, I can't believe the C4 are waiting until August to show this! How many viewers are they going to loose between now and then because of torrents and file sharing?

Would you really think they'd loose that many viewers due to downloading? I know Europe has a lot of people downloading tv but overall it's a very small percentage.

Out of my friends or anyone I know etc. I've never met anyone who downloads tv. Nobody I've talked to about it has ever heard of Lost.

Granted it was a bad decision to show Point Pleasant but I doubt the delay in broadcasting it will affect the viewing figures one bit.

Next episode looks great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Would agree with you, theres not that many people downloading tv eps. Although I have gotten a few people addicted to Lost after giving it to them on dvd. One of my favourite shows ever. Way better than 24 is at the minute.
    After having seen that trailer I cant wait to see the next epsiode. Should be brillaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

doh.ie wrote:
    Ep 18 discussion - "Numbers"
    *Loved* this one, one of my favourites so far. Hurley backstory much more interesting than I expected. The whole numbers thing was fascinating. Enjoyed the comic turns with the lottery win and the ensuing bad luck. At some point, though, Hurley clearly decided that he did indeed make his own luck - he decided to dive out of the way of Rosseau's trap as though he didn't *expect* to get hurt. Same with the bridge. Surely this can't all be as a result of Lenny's friend's widow telling him the numbers carried no curse?
    The bad luck only affects those around you, you don't get any bad luck at all. That's the key message behind the luck story, so Hurley wasn't worried because he knew nothing would happen to him. Had someone come to his aid then they may have been hurt. Hence the bridge supporting his weight and collapsing under Charlie...
    Liked Rosseau's story about the reason her team came to the island. Means that someone else sent the original numbers signal... Ethan definitely wasn't alone. (Assuming he's not the one who sent them.) The 'sickness' may be another manifestation of the curse (if it exists - remember, there are rational explanations for everything, supposedly), suggesting it's not a sure thing that this same disease will afflict the Lost bunch.
    The rash is a key piece of the sickness I think, there have been a lot of references to disease, there was a bit part guy with a rash at the very start, Boone has a rash on his face and neck in most episodes, but no indication of how it got there. Locke has a scar over his eye that may have been caused by a rash or some other element of the island, the guy in the mental institution seemed to have a skin problem as well...it has to be tied in somehow surely?

I'm probably way off with these though, this show is one of the best I've seen by a long way!

For those of you that can't wait, here's a link to 4 clips from tonight's (Wednesday) episode of 'Lost'

http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/lost.html

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmm nah, I think I should wait. Tempted though. Basquille - do you never sleep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I watched the clips, no major spoilers in them apart from the last one. Can't wait till eps 19 is out though.

ixoy wrote:
    Hmm nah, I think I should wait. Tempted though. Basquille - do you never sleep :D
    Not for the next couple of days anyways with a project and 50 or so pages of documentation due next Monday. And a presentation on it the following day!

As digiman says, the clips have no real major spoilers.. but at the same time, it's better to see the episode as a whole!

• Advertisement

There was an article in the Mail on Sunday magazine "Night & Day" at the weekend.

Was basically just talking about the series in general and that it will be shown in August on Channel 4.

It was talking about the ideas and plot in the show calling it the new X-Files did have a quote from JJ Abrams something alongs the lines of:

" I don't know here exactly the story is going. I have a few ideas about where I'd like the stories to end up but nothing is written in stone"

Thought that was a bit worrying. I was always under the impression that the series had a solid story arc and therefore a conclusion they were working towards. Looks like this mightn't be the case.
    They should be keeping a tight reign on all the loose ends imo, wrapping them up as they go along. It's a great series but if theres too much "who's that?", "what's happening there?" it just going to frustrate people.

By the way, some good news!! The 'Lost' finale has now been extended from an hour and a half to 2 hours..

Read here: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30729

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Thought that was a bit worrying. I was always under the impression that the series had a solid story arc and therefore a conclusion they were working towards. Looks like this mightn't be the case.
    They should be keeping a tight reign on all the loose ends imo, wrapping them up as they go along. It's a great series but if theres too much "who's that?", "what's happening there?" it just going to frustrate people.

Agree 100% - the danger here is, and it's the one I'm always afraid of... Dare I say it? X-FILES!

Gah! They need to be very careful. A certain number of mysteries will have to have relatively strong conclusions reached by the end of season one. We may find out more about Rosseau (as we did in "Numbers") or about Ethan, or we may learn key elements about the cause of the crash or the nature of the island. But either way, viewers *HAVE* to learn something to keep us propelled along with the story.

If this goes down an X-Files route of black oil and bees and smallpox and abductions and returnees and more abductions and supersoldiers and smart kids and UN insiders and informants... it'll all just end in one collective resigned sigh on the part of most viewers. (Which I reckon X-Files had done by the fifth season or just around the time of the movie.)

Lost is the finest new show to come out of the States in years, but it also can't be complacent in its success (like 24 did - and now churns out same stuff each year). The danger with a lot of shows (as Fry once pointed out in Futurama) is that they become too comfortable with the format, keeping everything to the same template from week to week - if the producers of Lost decide that mystery upon mystery peppered with clue upon hint is what the viewers want (as the high ratings suggest), we're all in trouble. We do want mysteries and clues, but not non sequiturs that run and run and go nowhere.

So, for example, one of the things I'd be keen to see wrapped up sooner rather than later, is why Sawyer was being arrested in Oz. That's important, and something I expected to be dealt with in his second flashback. (Doubt it was for the Not Sawyer shooting, because he obviously was allowed to fly back to the US, so the police suspicion can't have been that strong.) Anyway, if they allowed another flackback of his to go by and not address that point, it'd be irksome for avid fans who expected it not to be forgotten.

Similarily, Hurley on the Korean TV channel; the answer to that question - the reason why - was given to us in "Numbers". That'd be an example of solving one puzzle while posing others. I'm all for that, but just settling up as much as they pose along the way. I'm a little concerned that they have so many plotlines or character threads left unoutlined, but hopefully they haven't started out on anything (the numbers, for example) that they haven't already planned a conclusion to.

Yeah.. i know most of us haven't even seen 'Deus Ex Machina' yet!

But after you watch it, then come here to post all about it..

You can download the promo for next week's episode 'Do No Harm' here!

WARNING: DO NOT WATCH PROMO UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN 'DEUS EX MACHINA'! HUGE SPOILERS WITHIN!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Great episode and further proof that they are all on the island for a reason. Again more questions rather than answers - I wish Locke would share his discoveries with the rest of the team.

Those drugs may be a bit of a temptation for Charlie if he ever found them.

Still dont know why Locke was in the wheelchair - maybe psychological.

[edit]I went back and re-listened to the conversation Boone had over the radio - there are those who say that the voice repeated 'There are no survivors of Flight 815' but I think Boone was talking to other survivors ona different part of the island. Initially the voice sounded surprised to hear another voice - as was boone. Then they sounded almost puzzelled when Boone said he was a survivor from 815. I am sure they said 'We are the survivors of flight 815'.

This may follow Rose's theory that others are alive - including her husband.

Hyzepher

Can I be the first to say: "Should have gone to specsavers" :)

Great episode, and
    one of those endings that makes you curse the 7 days until the next one... Was I the only one who was expecting a hunting accident of some sort? And then I was almost expecting a big truck to smash into his car near the end.... More questions, fewer answers. Roll on next Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Bloody fantastic episode.
    Closed caption subtitles in the States seemed to say 'there were no survivors of Flight 815' when Boone was on the radio

Also, another appearance of the number 815: 'Regular footballs, aisle 8, nerf balls, aisle 15' :)

Another brillant episode!
    Though the Locke backstory didn't really do anything for me though.. could see how it would end up well in advance.

As fans of the show will know, we are promised a main character's death between now and the end of the season.. it's looking like Boone. But then i thought from the promo for next week - killing Boone would be far too obvious!!

But over the last few months, clues have been revealed as to who will die by cast / creators of 'Lost'. These are:

- It's a boy / man who dies. Basically, something catastrophic happens, and because someone LIES about what happened, ultimately, they are unable to be saved.
    - the person who dies is someone whose storylines have not been developing much
    - the one who'll die is not Jack, nor Hurley, nor the dog.
    - the person that is getting poisoned has hair.
    - the soon to be dead person will bite the big one before the season finale in May. Way before.
    - Locke is responsible for the character's death...but not in the way you think, this person dies because of something Locke has done.
    - when the BIG castmember dies off, Claire's baby will be born ....

Seems to be pointing straight for Boone dying next Wedneday..! But i think still killing him off would be a bit too obvious - i'm waiting for the writers to pull a fast one on us but maybe i'm just hoping for too much!

Anyways.. great episode! Loved Hurley's Harry Potter dig at Sawyer, Jack's probing questions to Sawyer regarding prostitutes and STD's, Sawyer smelling the air for burning as Jack left!

Hyzepher.. still can't make out exactly what is being said on the radio to Boone. Will have another couple of listens and what i think then.

Oh and TwoShedsJackson.. never noticed the 815 reference! Good catch on that!

Next week episode looks like a good un' (as always) and then another 2 week break! :mad:

EDIT: OK, regarding Boone's radio message:
    Have listened to it a couple of times and at first it does sound like "we're the survivors of the crash of Oceanic Flight 815" but after repeated listens, i'm pretty sure they are actually saying "there were no survivors of the crash of Oceanic Flight 815"

Still not positive though! 'm gonna try and enhance the sound somewhat and try and get a MP3 / WAV up here though!

Loved it!
    I enjoyed Locke's backstory even if it was nearly OTT in its cruelness. What I expected originally was that he'd donate his kidney and that there'd be some complication resulting in his lower-body paralysis. Then, like basquille, I expected some sort of Adaptation-style shot with a car smashing into Locke. Looks like we'll have Locke #3. Also it was nice that the back story bits were broken into short segments so they didn't outstay their welcome.

Quick question - Did anyone see the name of the asylum that Locke's mum was committed to? Was it related to the one Hurley went to in any way? I assume the committed bit was real given the detective uncovered it independent of his father's machinations.

I was on the edge of my seat for Boone's bit - I honestly thought he'd bitten the dust. Now I don't think so. The radio bit was tense but the bit that everyone's been trying to decipher had me puzzled as to what they're saying. I thought he was saying there was no flight 815 but I must've been wrong given the comments above.

Finally, the closing moments - when the window lit up - made me kick at the TV screen in frustration. As Samara is wont to say - Seven days. It's too long!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I sure hope my cousin doesn't mess up the end of the recording again next week.

ah well.. one more good reason to get the DVD.

I sure hope my cousin doesn't mess up the end of the recording again next week.

ah well.. one more good reason to get the DVD.
    Yeah.. funnily enough the end of my "recording" was messed up too! Glitches in picture and black screens every so often.

Am definantly buying that DVD!

Jesus, we're all related !!

Lost shows just how crap 24 is becoming - it wipes the floor with it and then comes back for more - usually in a back story ;)

Hyzepher

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Excellent episode, just way too short (and the tape was a bit mangled) :).

I watched episode 4 or 5 earlier too (the one with Jack's first backstory) and noticed something which might be interesting
    When Kate follows Sawyer into the forest and tackles him over the water, he says "I've been waiting for this for four years" (coincidentally(?) the length of time Locke was paralysed). Can't think what he meant by it, as Kate and he have made no allusions to having met before when they've been alone together

When Kate follows Sawyer into the forest and tackles him over the water, he says "I've been waiting for this for four years" (coincidentally(?) the length of time Locke was paralysed). Can't think what he meant by it, as Kate and he have made no allusions to having met before when they've been alone together
    Went back and watched this. What was actually said was:
    Sawyer: "Well, it's about time!"
    Kate: "For what?"
    Sawyer: "I made this birthday wish 4 years ago!"

In the context, i think it was meant more of a joke than anything.

• Advertisement

I solved Boone's Radio Message:
    On ABC's website, they post streaming 3-minute long recaps of episodes.

You can watch the recap of this week's episode here: http://mfile.akamai.com/9890/asf/abcvod.download.akamai.com/9890/media/Primetime/lost_117_recap_joi8_high.asx

But in the recap when Boone is in the plane on the radio (around the 2 and a half minute mark), there is a much clearer sounding response on the radio.

I've taken out the sound sample, amplified and cleaned it up a little. Listen here!

I think this WAV proves the message to be conclusive as it's pretty obvious what is being said:

"Hello?.... We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 8-1-5."

Sorry for doubting ye, Hyzepher and TwoShedsJackson. Ye were spot on!

EDIT: Another thing i noticed... easily missed on first viewing...
    In Locke's dream.. when he hear's Boone saying "Theresa fell up the stairs.. Theresa fell down the stairs" etc. It then shows him in a wheelchair saying "don't take it back!" (obviously referring to his ability to walk) and then he falls out of the wheelchair onto the ground... but in the background as this happens, you can hear his mother say what sounds like "punch me!"

Watch it again and let me know if you hear it too... say i'm not the only one! Have no idea what it means.. but interesting all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

According to imdb.net Locke used to play a character in JAG called Boone :)
    Spooky.

Like you all, I loved "Deus ex Machina". Thought the
    Locke backstory was strong to begin with, but predictable by the end. It was fairly obvious his father was going to take the kidney and run. Pretty cruel - what kind of a person would do that and just refuse contact afterwards?! Didn't he enjoy Locke's company in any way? Couldn't he have at least kept in contact for a while for the sake of politeness? What an asshole!

Mother's driving licence from the detective's documents has her licence set to expire in March 1994, so I reckon this flashback is set around then (assuming she was committed *before* then and this licence wasn’t one from her past.). If the show is indeed set in 2004 (as it seems to be), Locke was paralysed in 2000. This means that any fallout or complication from the operation (notice how his T-shirt was bleeding at the back as he got out of the car) was not the cause of the paralysis, at least not at this stage. (Of course, a future related complication could cause it in 2000.)

More philosophers (I didn’t figure this out) – Anthony Cooper, Locke’s father, was a contemporary of the real John Locke. I’d say at this point they’re doing that for fun more than anything else.

Immaculate conception – I had a problem with this in the beginning. I’m happy enough with Walt being “special”, but was a little afraid of this being overkill. Of course, it turned out not to be the case anyway. Did remind me of the mention later, though, when the statues of Mary turned up in the plane… Remember, nothing on Lost is a coincidence.

Speaking of the plane, how cool – and freaky – was that dream sequence? Loved the digital editing with the swift zooms. Also, the fact the smugglers were trafficking heroin is very important. It is clear that by the end of the season, Charlie will again be tempted by his old vice. Maybe something bad happens to him or to Claire which prompts him to take it up again, or at least be severely tempted by it.

Love Ixoy’s idea that Locke’s mother and Hurley were in the same asylum. In fact, that’d be a very cool connection. I hope that happens. It’s very much in the vein we’ve seen before with character tie-ins for there to be a Hurley flashback in the asylum where we also happen to see her in the background or throwing a fit and being taken out. Would be great.

The “We’re the survivors/There are no survivors…” issue. The ABC.com file does clearly say “We’re the survivors…”, but it’s been said on other boards that this was put on the site on April 1ST so it could just be a joke. If it wasn’t for some sound and video glitches on the cousin’s tape, it might’ve been clearer. There’s a 700MB higher HDTV version due out later in the week – might pick that up if there’s no glitches on it just to see if that bit is clearer on the televised episode.

I do like the idea of there being other survivors on the island (or a nearby island) who picked up and replied to that transmission. I also like the idea of it being OUR survivors in a future/alternate reality. (Sawyer was reading “A Wrinkle in Time” in a previous episode…) However, I don’t think that explanation would go down too well with the mainstream (non sci-fi) fans, who would probably be turned off by technobabble or non-real world grounded storytelling. The producers consistently say that everything is possible. It might be a mistake to do otherwise. (Most mainstream fans would probably agree stuff like Walt’s apparent telekinesis or multiple unusual coincidences do not push the boat on this. Parallel universes might be too much.) Incidentally, I can’t figure any medical explanation for why Locke can use, but not feel pain in, his legs.

And, of course, it would well be that this is someone not connected to the island in the REAL world who has now picked up a transmission that there were survivors of Flight 815, making the “There are no survivors…” line correct. We’ll just have to wait and see. For now, though, based purely on the ABC clip and the dodgyness of the original broadcast, I think the “We’re the survivors line…” could well be the real one.

We’ve now got a “Locke’s theme” – the music played when the legs revelation was made is the same piece played when he went to his father’s house at the end. (There’s also a “Charlie and Claire” theme used in from previous episodes with their scenes.) Loved the ending so much. He lost the ability to walk early in the episode, but had to have fully regained it by the end. (The plane cannot have been near the caves at all, yet he managed to bring Boone there AND then go to the vault, so he must now have fully regained use of his legs. Seems the island didn’t want HIM to be in the plane, suggesting Boone was expendable.)

And lastly, a neat hark back to ep 17 –
    Walt: “You got a dad?”
    Locke: “Everyone’s got a dad.”
    Walt: “Is he cool?”
    Locke: [understatement] “No,… he’s not cool.” [/understatement]

doh.ie wrote:
    Love Ixoy’s idea that Locke’s mother and Hurley were in the same asylum. In fact, that’d be a very cool connection. I hope that happens. It’s very much in the vein we’ve seen before with character tie-ins for there to be a Hurley flashback in the asylum where we also happen to see her in the background or throwing a fit and being taken out. Would be great.
    As far as I know they did attend the same asylum - not too sure whether it was at the same time though (Santa Rosa). Again another interesting connection.

I am not too convinced that the 'Immaculate Conception' lie from his mother was just a throw away comment - we may hear more about that one.

I am convinced that Locke's leg issues are psychological - maybe related to memories of his father/mother etc. Maybe he feels used and useless after the kidney incident and by crashing on the island now gives his life meaning - who knows?

Hyzepher

Hyzepher wrote:
    As far as I know they did attend the same asylum - not too sure whether it was at the same time though (Santa Rosa). Again another interesting connection.

Hmm. Definitely going to happen then.
    Hyzepher wrote:
    I am not too convinced that the 'Immaculate Conception' lie from his mother was just a throw away comment - we may hear more about that one.

Again, I have an issue with two characters being "special." Isn't it likely that she just told him this cos she was a bit mad and cos she WANTED him to find his father himself (or rather his father did.) But as I say, the statue of Mary turning up later made me wonder if the relevancy of this was going to be important in the future.
    Hyzepher wrote:
    I am convinced that Locke's leg issues are psychological - maybe related to memories of his father/mother etc. Maybe he feels used and useless after the kidney incident and by crashing on the island now gives his life meaning - who knows?

I agree that there's a strong possibility it's all psychological. Suddenly being freed from the nightmare that was the modern real world for Locke may have been enough to give him the use of his legs back. However, even that wouldn't stop him feeling pain in his legs and that is the part I have an issue with.

• Advertisement

Also, y'all might want to do the Lost personality test (don't think it's been linked before), and post who you got!

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,800|||,00.html

I got Sawyer. Then I went back and changed my breakfast cereal and got Charlie. So it's a bit screwy. But then I didn't get Shannon like a friend of mine did. That would be worse!

I got Kate - I don't even like Kate!! Oh well...

doh.ie wrote:
    But then I didn't get Shannon like a friend of mine did. That would be worse!

Hey, nothing wrong with that!

Damn :mad:

cosgrove80 wrote:

Funny.

Anyone know if I can get the whole season anywere? My cousins sent the tape but it seems to have got lost in the post.

Some random impressions. I'm more convinced than ever now that
    the 'special' people are all adopted and may even have been placed in their foster families by the same... entity, group, power, whatever. A sort of 4400-ish scenario, if anyone has seen that series. As for Locke's numbness, I believe that's quite possilbe physically. An extreme physical manifestation of the emotional numbness as a result of being fúcked over twice (abandoned before birth and then what happened last episode) seems plausible to me. We've all seen people walk over burning coals and not suffering so much as a blister, people swallowing string, stabbing themselves in the stomach and pulling it out etc., so it doesn't bother me in the least. I would have a bit of a hard time with a parallel-universe arc, possibly because any story I've ever seen on this theme has been ridiculously simplistic, derivative and full of holes. If it was really well done, maybe :D I reckon it's obvious Mrs. Locke and Hurley/his mate were in the same asylum. I thought of Charlie when I saw the smack - further to Sangre's point, Matthew Fox of course played Charlie in Party of Five, Naveen Andrews (Sayeed) played John in a film called Easy, as did Daniel Dae Kim in Brave New World, which by amazing coincidence I watched last night :), Terry O'Quinn also played Jack in The Cutting Edge... and I'll get off IMDB now :D

We've all seen people walk over burning coals and not suffering so much as a blister, people swallowing string, stabbing themselves in the stomach and pulling it out etc., so it doesn't bother me in the least.

But the swallowing string thing was exposed as a hoax on Magic's Greatest Secrets Finally Revealed 6, wasn't it?! I get your point though.

The 4400-type scenario is interesting, but I'd be surprised if they were all adopted. I still think parallel universes might be stretching things for this show a bit, even as well done as it is.

I suppose last week's episode strengthens that bond between Locke and Walt in the parenthood stakes - both have been moved around a lot all their lives. Explains, too, beyond the affinity to the island, why Locke was so quick to accept his explanation.

Something interesting I found in relation to a "Numbers" theory. Don't really go for it, but it seemed like a reasonable plot - if not a tad "too sci-fi".

Not my theory - and someone just emailed me the relevant bit, so apologies to the original author. I tried, but couldn't find the original site posting:
    ______
    If anyone remembers the "Philadelphia Experiment" in 1942, it was when the
    navy experimented with magnetic fields to create invisible ships. During
    testing, they experienced massive side effects. Instead of just making the
    ship invisible to radar, the ship completely disappeared and was teleported
    hundreds of miles away. The crew members had horrible side effects and when
    the navy abandoned the project because of the results, it carried on as
    "Project Rainbow". This reappeared in the late 40's, to see if it could be
    further developed. Along with researching why the crewmembers were affected,
    it became "The Phoenix Project".

Now pertaining to the numbers, if you take the letter from every other
    number, 4=D, 15=O, and 23=R it gives you DOR. (Ill explain in a sec). the
    numbers youre left with are the date 8/16/42 (the year the project started).
    With the Phoenix Project, "orgone" and "dead orgone" (which is shown as DOR)
    is energy that is found in nature and in humans. It was turned into a form
    of mind control. The navy set up an isolated area where they began testing
    boys around the age of 10 that looked aryan, as in blond hair, blue eyes
    (like locke..) transporting them through underground lairs. The man powering
    the mind control was known as "the seeing eye".

when the experiment failed and people were trapped between time stages, the
    scientists left the area, sealing all of the lairs, trashing the
    transmitters and created a 'Beast from the Id' to destroy anyone on the
    island. The magnetic feild would also explain why no one has found them on
    an "invisible island"

Sorry, I know its long. but if your interested heres the full story:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/monphil.html

I kinda went into the story without explaining its relevance...
    The experimental vessel, which is what is buried on the island experienced a
    dimensional physical mishap that buried it and it's crew on the island (the
    interior of the ship was contained with locked hatch and was buried). As a
    consequence, the entire island became cloaked in this invisible magnetic
    field. Within the field, and on the island, the crew members experienced a
    realm defying physical reality. Locke was a member of this initial
    habitation (which will be shown in episode 19). This is why he already seems
    so familiar with the island...he actually lived there for possibly several
    years! Some of the crew members were trapped in alternative physical
    dimensions (which explain the invisible voices of the island). Some died,
    and others like Locke were left stranded. The government left them there,
    worrying about the results of the experiment should this technology escape
    into the Earth as we know it. Inside the magnetic field, the island
    inhabitted surreal characteristics, imaginary beasts being created in an
    alternate universe. Others came upon the island drawn by the "distress"
    signals given off by the survivor.

cosgrove80 wrote:

Yeah... nothing at all wrong with getting Shannon...

Damn...

As for the theory you posted Doh.ie
    The guy who came up with Deadly Orgone Radiation and Orgone Radiation was Wilhelm Reich. He was a sort of crackpot psychologist, who got kicked out of Germany, then out of Russia and ended up in the US. He did some experiments in Orgone Radiation with the US Military, but ended up giving a bunch of GIs radiation pisioning. He did invent a cloudbuster device like the one that is in the Kate Bush video, which he used to make it rain in the desert. He was an interesting character.... I have a book on him somewhere... must dig it out.

I got Charlie...!

I am a coke fiend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think Lockes ability to walk was affected by the 'island' refusing to answer him or deny him access to the vault.
    Perhaps it will return now that light came on.

Also he said Jack wouldnt know a thing about his condition again showing a physcological point of view.

Sangre wrote:
    I think Lockes ability to walk was affected by the 'island' refusing to answer him or deny him access to the vault.
    Perhaps it will return now that light came on.

Also he said Jack wouldnt know a thing about his condition again showing a physcological point of view.

But if it's psychological, Jack should know something about it. Jack's medical training would have included the physiological effects of the brain on the limbs to some degree. He was more likely to be referring to the island giving him the ability and that Jack wouldn't understand something so spiritually complex. Maybe.

As for the island refusing him access, he did have the ability to carry Boone from the plane to Cavetown and then go back to the vault, so that suggests (as someone did above) that the island didn't want him in the plane... possibly 'sacrificing' Boone to the inevitable tumbling of the plane instead. Even if Boone doesn't die, the island may not have wanted Locke injured in that way.

What's the bet that in the next new episode, Locke is back at camp walking around as if he never had any leg issues in "Deus Ex Machina"? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, like before with the discovery of the vault, there is little or no mention of the vault in ep 20. The writers seem to like posing something huge- like the light - and then take it away and not refer to it for several episodes. (Which is why I don't expect to see the numbers crop up for ages again either. Incidentally, you'd think Locke, with as much as he knows, would have mentioned the numbers to Boone in conversation during their excavation? Maybe he did and we didn't see it. Just seems odd that as knowledgeable as he is, this is a key element he doesn't see the significance of.)

basquille wrote:
    I got Charlie...!

I am a coke fiend! :D

Don't forget the next time you go for a fix, you're actually addicted to heroin, not coke! If you're running low, check out the Virgin Mary statues in the jungle.

doh.ie wrote:
    Don't forget the next time you go for a fix, you're actually addicted to heroin, not coke! If you're running low, check out the Virgin Mary statues in the jungle.
    Ahhh yes... heroin! My mistake!

But i do think that
    Boone will definantly die this week because all signs point to him and also, he's on TRL on Thursday... seems like a bit of a co-in-ci-dink that he's on it the day after a character's presumed to die.

What's the significance of
    'Theresa falls up the stairs, Theresa fall down the stairs'? Surely there's more to that sequence in Locke's dream than simply the premonition of Boone's accident etc.

Here's another one for ye:
    saw this on another Lost forum.. the noise from the jungle is actually the hatch opening. The hatch leads to another part of the island where the other survivors of Flight 185 are. And the numbers on the hatch represent some sort of longitude / latitude of that point on the island.

I hope a lot of questions are answered before season's end.
    But Damon Lindelof recently said that the season finale will be brillant and that it'll be the modern day equivalent of 'who shot JR?'

And then apparently the 2nd series is apparently already planned to start airing September 27th.

Hmm I'm not so sure
    that Boone will die. He's just too obvious. It must be a red herring. I'm convinced of it. His booking on TRL is just clever marketing. Now who will die is the better question. I'm going with Michael, enabling Walt to try and save him with his powers....

I'm also wondering about "Theresa falls up the stairs, Theresa falls down down the stairs". Aside from being the freakiest moment in 'Lost' and having some meaning to Boone's babysitter, I think there must be something else. My brain's a little fried but could it be that Kate may have a different name?

I'm with doh.ie though on the fact that we won't see the hatch story picked up immediately. After all he's shown already he doesn't want to share his secrets so I can't see why this would be different. It could be members of Flight 815 behind the hatch but I'm hoping for something more intruiging - maybe someone left over by Rousseau's people or maybe Ethan's clan...

I'm wondering what they'll do for the finale but you know they're going to have an absolute bitch of a cliff-hanger

I have the feeling
    Locke might stay paralysed for a while, with Boone obviously incapacitated and Jack stuck trying to cure him. Sayeed, and probably Kate will surely go looking for the plane and the radio, assuming Locke (do we call him John now?) tells them about it, but with noone to guide them will have to make their way around the jungle where they'll probably stumble on something they didn't plan on finding. My guess is that Claire will die before the end of the season. She's been appearing less and less and once she gives birth - bye bye.

Going to leave spoilers off as comments relate to series as a whole rather than what has happened etc.

For me the most significant story line in the series is Claire's baby. The writers have been very clever at keeping the story important but not giving it too much airplay. The whole Ethan plot centres around Claire and the baby - and Ethan is a very big part of the mysteries on the island. Claire's backstory with the fortunetellers is again very significant for me - especially his insistance that she bring up the baby.

The whole story with the fortuneteller kind of annoyed me when I watched it first. i was a bit confused as to why he initially wanted Claire to raise the baby and then sent her off to LA for the adoption. It is not the adoption thing that bothers me as I am aware the fortuneteller knew Claire would never make it to LA but it does make me think that he was confident that she would survive the crash. It is obvious that by putting her on the plane ensured that she would remain with the baby. However, if he could see this then he must of foreseen the events on the island - including her kidnap by Ethan. Yet he was confident about her safety. I am sure therefore that Claire will not die in the near future.

The other underlying theme that has me thinking is the whole 'fatherless' thing. Many of the characters - especially the ones who we have seen/heard about their childhood - seem to have had non-existant or troubled relationships with their fathers. I don't think this is by chance.

I also put a lot of emphasis on anything that Rose says. She is the only non-central character that has had any type of dialogue - this leads me to believe that her air time is not only relevant but essential. Especially now that it is likely Boone was communicating with 'other' survivors.

btw - I have given myself a little project. i am going to review all the episodes and do a character by character breakdown to see if there are any patterns or incidents that I have forgot but are now relevant.

Hyzepher

Hyzepher wrote:
    btw - I have given myself a little project. i am going to review all the episodes and do a character by character breakdown to see if there are any patterns or incidents that I have forgot but are now relevant.
    Hyzepher

Nice one, looking forward to seeing your report on my desk on Monday :D

I was watching Episode 19 again during my lunch break.. I take fairly long lunch breaks when I'm not on here yammering on about monkeys...

Actually come to think of it... why can't they have monkeys on the island in Lost? Polar Bears are useless...

ANYWAY:
    I think it might be that something more than just a kidney was taken from Locke. The mother said something along the lines of "He said it was the only way you would give IT to him".

Also, how come he shares his surname with his mother, if she put him up for adoption as a baby and he went to another family.

The immaculate conception may not be a complete lie either. Perhaps the father had the mother artificially inseminated in some way.

The mother also was putting ALOT of sugar in her coffee.... maybe that is relevent... haha... maybe not.

Oh... and remember when Boone is looking at the map in the airplane, it shows you Nigeria and then the camera pans up and holds on the Sahara for some reason.

I guess I'm just clucthing at straws here really though... ha...

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    What's the significance of
    'Theresa falls up the stairs, Theresa fall down the stairs'? Surely there's more to that sequence in Locke's dream than simply the premonition of Boone's accident etc.

This may have just been the island's way of making sure that Boone believed Locke about the dream. But it was one of the freakiest scenes in the show since the pilot splayed in the tree in ep1, and I'd like to think there was more to it. I mean, why did she "fall up the stairs"...?
    basquille wrote:
    Here's another one for ye:
    saw this on another Lost forum.. the noise from the jungle is actually the hatch opening. The hatch leads to another part of the island where the other survivors of Flight 185 are. And the numbers on the hatch represent some sort of longitude / latitude of that point on the island.

Not sure if I like the idea of it leading to the others, but I do like the concept that it connects to the 'monster' somehow. You know, for all the questions the hatch might open, it really can't connect to something as core to the show as the monster, because when revealed it then means the key arc for the show comes to and end, or close to an end. As much as I don't want elements to drag on for years like The X-Files, I know that some definitely will, no matter how much we learn. That's just the nature of the show. If we find out too many of the key mysteries, the reason to watch will be gone.
    I'm expecting a hell of a cliffhanger to end the season, but I hope it ties up some of the year's other threads first.
    Hyzepher wrote:
    The other underlying theme that has me thinking is the whole 'fatherless' thing. Many of the characters - especially the ones who we have seen/heard about their childhood - seem to have had non-existant or troubled relationships with their fathers. I don't think this is by chance.

Most definitely intentional. That's a lot of characters with similar issues. For those we don't know about, you can be sure Charlie's relationship with his father isn't much better than that with his brother. Boone's is dead, Sayid's may have been a tough military man... Makes me kind of wonder if the 'island' isn't some kind of surrogate father to these people, helping make their dreams come true and taking care of them.
    I think it might be that something more than just a kidney was taken from Locke. The mother said something along the lines of "He said it was the only way you would give IT to him".

Still could be the kidney she's talking about, I reckon. There was no indication he was looking for anything else. Locke also placed his trust in him, so I suppose you could say he gave up that as well.
    Also, how come he shares his surname with his mother, if she put him up for adoption as a baby and he went to another family.

I've seen this happen to some adopted children before; probably more common in the past though, and usually more likely with children who are not adopted from birth (thought Locke seems to have been). Something to do with how the child's name is officially recorded.
    The immaculate conception may not be a complete lie either. Perhaps the father had the mother artificially inseminated in some way.

Don't forget that while most Christian denominations which use that term mean it to refer to Jesus' being born without Adam's 'original sin', the Catholic church have always meant that to refer to *Mary's* immaculate nature at birth (her statue did turn up later on...). So for Lost, it potentially could be something special about Locke's mother (though less likely), rather than him himself. Based on the asylum clue, we certainly haven't seen the last of her.

Advertisement