Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Album Predictions

Options
  • 03-05-2001 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

OK, i might as well get in on the act here.

12 years ago you could point to the Stone Roses debut and say it influenced britpop, Screamadelica, Nevermind and Music for the Jilted Generation were similarly important.

Its all very well to say what albums HAVE been the greatest/most important/brought a style of music to the masses, but what recent albums WILL BECOME one of those hugely influential records in years to come?
    Lets say it has to be post 1995.

Ill start the bidding with Youve come a long way baby by Fatboy Slim. Simply because it brought the cult of the DJ to a large commercial market.
    Also 1977 by Ash, for proving Irish Rock doesnt have to sound like Irish rock smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Badly Drawn Boy _ Hour of the Bewilderbeast.

Prooving that singer/songwriters can still be commercially sucessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

jj72-jj72

though i dont like it an awful lot, i must admit it will probably inspire a certain genre.

the deftones-white pony

an excellent aband and album, a whole new sound, it's metal but with melody and sounds like the future

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

JJ-72?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    *deep breath*

*wipes tears from eyes*
    thanks bod, i needed that! biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd agree with the Deftones. Of all the so-called Nu-Metal bands around, they're the most impressive musicians.

Radiohead's The Bends (can't remember if it fits into the allowed time-frame) or to a lesser extent OK Computer.

JJ72 may start off a revitalisation of Irish "guitar-rock" (how I hated saying that) type music/bands, but I'm not sure they'll be called one of the most influential bands ever. I like the album, it's solid stuff, not revolutionary though.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"

[honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness

The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

Kaiser; blow me. i never said they were revolutionary, or even good, i said they would inspire a certain genre. that doesnt mean that this genre will even be good. call it the "coldplay syndrome".

i find that your view rich, coming frm someone who considers farting into microphjones to be good music wink.gif

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

have to go with asian dub foundation as already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

If you say Fat boy slim then you've got to wave a hand to the chemical brothers who really brought in the "Big Beat" movement.(sounding all fancy there).

I think Kid-A is rock solid, I go with the Bends being absolutely brilliant and I'm having trouble thinking of anything more mainstream than that. (Greatness and influencial usually comes from being good and being big). Dang predicting is alot more harder than talking about the past smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Well, in fairness norm was doing bigbeat at the same time as the chemicals. I nominated Long way baby because of its crossover appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rabbit_Fascist

Community Music - Asian Dub Foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

To go all loopy and hipsterious coffee shop on y'all, I do have to say Godspeed You Black Emporor.
    I also think (or hope) Up will be recognised as a really great album and an inspiration.
    If not, I will settle with the three Air albums becoming classics.

But the future of popular rock music will inevitably be in the hands of people who emulate the Bends.

My Adolescent website:
    http://www.iol.net/~mullent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Mmmm, Air. Wasn't at all impressed with the Virgin Suicides album though TBH :/

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Actually, I would say Ricky Martins debut album made a massive impact on music today (dont laugh), he brought latin american music to the fore spawning an invasion of hispanic music,allowing santana to get his foot back into the music game. There is now the latin-american awards. So IMO in 10 years time ppl will look back on the album as the turning point for popular music.

As for rock bands, most of the good ones are trying to emulate the big seattle 3, cept the shyte soft-rock of travis etc. who just suck c0ck.

Im also tempted to put any of REMs stuff in there too.

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Air got boring pretty quickly, I throw on Moon Safari now and its just so bland, maybe I've just expanded my horizons since I bought it smile.gif

and Ricky Martin? not a chance.
    ever hear of the Gypsy Kings? .. now theres great latin music smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 04-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:

i find that your view rich, coming frm someone who considers farting into microphjones to be good music wink.gif
    </font>

Mmmmm.....farting into microphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    I'd agree with the Deftones. Of all the so-called Nu-Metal bands around, they're the most impressive musicians.</font>

I think Deftones have all but surpassed any of the "Nu-Metal" tags that people try to attach to them. Even if people still do, sigh.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Excelsior:
    Godspeed You Black Emperor</font>

*Nods agreement.

And in my opinion people will look back on The Smashing Pumpkins' "Adore" album in years to come and realise what a masterpiece it is.

Well...hopefully anyway. smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Point taken and conceeded! curlydav.gif

Is it true that the Deftones will be supporting Soggy Biscuit this summer? If yes, then I'm going!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

Advertisement