Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havana-Browns NiteClub

Options
  • 03-12-2004 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Haven't been in there in about 2 years but came across their website today. God, the interior & smoking rooms look class! Nice site too by the way :D

Edited: Here's the link if anybody else wants to check it out http://www.havana-browns.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in there one night recently (under duress, as well I may add, there's no way in God's earth I'd go near that dump normally), and I was trying to find a friend who'd wandered off. While trying to get past all the fat gaa players, accountants and farmers, I found the smoking room. They were just crammed in there like sardines in a can, squished up against the wall.

By the way, I also received proposals of marriage and offers of some fine farms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

dudara wrote:
    I was in there one night recently (under duress, as well I may add, there's no way in God's earth I'd go near that dump normally), and I was trying to find a friend who'd wandered off. While trying to get past all the fat gaa players, accountants and farmers, I found the smoking room. They were just crammed in there like sardines in a can, squished up against the wall.

By the way, I also received proposals of marriage and offers of some fine farms!

LMAO!! Pics looks nice on the site though.. Might go in for a nose during Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's still the same old crappy hole it ever was. Anyone else going tonight? :)

It's a nice enough place early in the evening, but once the pubs close, they turn up the music and everyone rushes in I can't stand the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was in there when it was empty and it looks well, tbh it's better than Fast Eddies. When it fills up it's as much a hole as the majority of the Cork clubs though.

What's with people going there in suits btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

LOL at that picture of Vinny Jones. Reminds me of a Bacardi ad. :D

I'd like to see a list of good club nights in Cork which do not play the usual pop/hiphop/"rnb" ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Good night clubs in Cork? Surely you jest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Am happy to say that the Savoy has opened again and unlike the end of the last savoy they are not allowing any scum in (hooray) also the old maltings complex is apparanlty bieng modeled into a new upmarket place ala Ikon in Limrick (apparantly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Sorry,am **** with names , I remember bieng in a large pretty class placwe might have been the trinity rooms

Its a decent place with a good crowd most nights. Music is resonable, but most people are interetsted in scoring. Very Attractive women. Not overly expensive.

personally I quite like for a number of reasons. Not as young/scummy as Club One, or Reds. And not as dodgey as Fast Eddies. Savoy is ok, but I don't like Black guys creeping out my female friends so we give that a miss. City Limits used to be brilliant, but its quite dead now. Theres another club newly opened instead of an older dodgy place, haven't been in there yet.

(I'm not originally from Cork, so I don't know all the clubs yet. Been living here for abt 1.5 years now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Its a decent place with a good crowd most nights. Music is resonable, but most people are interetsted in scoring. Very Attractive women. Not overly expensive.

Hold on now.. I'm confused. Are we still talking about Havana Browns here?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My idea of hell is to be stuck in that place. I have to go there every now and then with the gf. Her friends live there (they even bought the bouncers an xmas present. How pathtic is that?).

Its full of idiots rugby players, stupid ol dolls, most so drunk they cant see.

€15 quid? Feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Sorry,am **** with names , I remember bieng in a large pretty class placwe might have been the trinity rooms

Ya proabbly the most known up there. Students are us (Im one of them)
    Its ok though have the right idea - loads of bars with different Music and Big dance floors and comfy too (Live in the back bar or the fore court)

Kinda like Henrys with i dunno class and style (and not fallind down)

Ah Henrys (Que the Cheers music "where everybody knows your name.............)

Was in the Savoy last week and its class - worked there before and loved it but know looks an even nicer place - Never like HB's and dont think i ever will,been there twice and dont want to make it a third.

Hold on now.. I'm confused. Are we still talking about Havana Browns here?

Yup i am. Any reason why you think i'm not. Examples, please ;)

Its full of idiots rugby players, stupid ol dolls, most so drunk they cant see.

As opposed to what other nighclubs in cork? Cubans is full of scum, Reds is full of pre-puberty boys looking for fights, Club One is too young and often dodgy. Where would you suggest for someone in the mid twenties to choose from?

Regardless, I tend to go to Havana's for a couple of reasons, mainly because it has a smoke room, the decor isn't too garish, the music is bearable, and the women are decent.

(I have never played Rugby, btw, lol)
    €15 quid? Feck that.

When did you pay that? I paid €5 on a wednesday two weeks ago. €10 is teh average for the place, which is the same as most of the other clubs in Cork.

I don't love Havanas. Cork needs a good nightclub, but doesn't have one since Comedy Club went ****e. But, its the best of the bad crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Ok, mid 20's, where to go?? humm.. right, we can go to Late night bars.. where we have:
    a) the Bróg - a pretty good spot, not bad music either if you're not into dance music... I lived there before the smoking ban, now I can barely stand to be in there for longer than 5 minutes with the smell (and I just loved it when the DJ started playing cartoon themes too!!)
    b) Scotts - get me awaaayyy!! say no more, it could be a nice place, but no.. just don't like it
    c) the Oak - not bad, good decor, sometimes even some cute guys in there! they leave far too many people in there and the bar staff act like they're on holls at the best of time with the length of time it takes to get a drink. and what is it with the music so loud so early??
    d) the Quad, dunno, just never appealed to me really.
    e) Reardons - not too bad, if you get in before 10, your pretty sure of a seat too! Music is good, smoking room a little too small, but it's better than nothing!
    f) The Bailey (is it a late Bar??) ahh, it's ok, but it's not, again, gets way to packed but I've never really had a problem getting served unless the people sitting at the bar don't get out of the way.
    g) - do have any more late night bars?? emm... can't think of any..

ok, after this we have clubs to go to...
    a) Cubins, just couldn't go in there, the clientelle just doesn't do it for me really.
    b) the Qube... not too bad, like it'll do if there's nothing else (and the old Gorby's girl in me can still imagine that upstairs is still the same!!) - a bit of a mixture, and generally more foreigners than locals there though.
    c) Mangans... do I need to comment?
    d) - the Savoy, I can't comment, 'cause I've never been there! (the people in the queue turned me off, sorry!)
    e) - City Limits - granddaddy chatting me up?? no thanks
    f) Redz - as Klaz said - pre puberty only!!
    g) - Havana's - I won't touch it on a Saturday night - it's generally between 10 and 12 yo-yo's to get in on a Sat, they pack you in like sardines and you can spend up to 20mins to get a drink/put in coat/get coat/go to the toilet... even get to the smoking room. BUT... any other night, it's pretty good, Monday night's are almost my favourite, no point really in going mid-week before 12, and if you do go up at 12, son't be too shocked that it's empty, noone goes up til about 12.30/12.45. The music is also crap before then, it'll cost anything between (free for ladies Thursday's, before 12, I think...) €5 and €8, but with them suddenly allowing students in too, it can get busy on a Thursday night, so be warned, you'll recognise them by the tiny skirts or the rugby jersy's, generally screaming about the fact that they are allowed in, or falling over drunk.

But once you hit about 12.30, there's just enough people, you don't really have to queue too long at the bar, if you have to queue at all, the smoking room is half comfortable, except it is a little colder than what it is at the weekend, keep the cardie out of the cloakroom!

All I can say is... BRING BACK GORBY'S... *sniff sniff* why can't I be 19 again off to Gorby's for 99p vodka's and £1.50 strawberry woodies??

*sigh*

All I can say is... BRING BACK GORBY'S... *sniff sniff* why can't I be 19 again off to Gorby's for 99p vodka's and £1.50 strawberry woodies??

*sigh*

Really? When I was 19 I felt that I'd outgrown the place and felt old there :p

As to places to go? There aren't many, a few of the late bars are ok and will do, especially when none of the clubs are even close to being acceptable in either decor, athmosphere, music or clientele. I dunno, the late scene isn't really my thing in cork, we lack any kind of a decent nightclub imo, and I think it's a problem shared by most of the rest of the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

wat places are over21 in town?

Yup i am. Any reason why you think i'm not. Examples, please

Several reasons why you aren't referring to Havana's
    1. Its a decent place
    2. good crowd most nights.
    3. Music is resonable,
    4. most people are interetsted in scoring.
    5. Very Attractive women.
    6. Not overly expensive.

I rest my case

rymus wrote:
    Several reasons why you aren't referring to Havana's
    1. Its a decent place
    2. good crowd most nights.
    3. Music is resonable,
    4. most people are interetsted in scoring.
    5. Very Attractive women.
    6. Not overly expensive.

I rest my case

Ok. you've gotten me confused. You're taking the majority of points I've made in regards to Havana's and then said that it doesn't have them? Also since this a thread abt Havana's seems strange that you would say i'm not referring to it. :confused:

So are you saying that you like Havana's?

Ok. you've gotten me confused. You're taking the majority of points I've made in regards to Havana's and then said that it doesn't have them?

Precisely
    Also since this a thread abt Havana's seems strange that you would say i'm not referring to it.

Well, you started the confusion by referring to Havanas as a nice place to visit. I know of no establishment going by that same name which I would take pleasure in frequenting.
    So are you saying that you like Havana's?

about as much as a good dose of syphilis.

• Advertisement

I know of no establishment going by that same name which I would take pleasure in frequenting.

Thats fine. Its your choice. However, its still the best of a bad lot. You see, I look at the list you posted and I think Havanas has them all. Sure, I don't want to go there every night, but all the other clubs in Cork are alot dodgier for reasons I've already given.

I go out on average 5 nights a week. 4 nights I'll hit a club. Havana's remains probably the best if you don't want to be surrounded by kids. Sure if you're going out to listen to music, Havana's won't be the place for you. But I go out to meet women, and to have some fun.

care to point out how Havana's doesn't have the list of qualities? Or have you actually made it in past the door? *Gasp* :D

Or have you actually made it in past the door? *Gasp* :D

Ah ha ah.. ha ha Ohh youre so funny..

Your standards must not be up to much if you think the women are great in there.

I go out on average 5 nights a week. 4 nights I'll hit a club. Havana's remains probably the best if you don't want to be surrounded by kids. Sure if you're going out to listen to music, Havana's won't be the place for you. But I go out to meet women, and to have some fun.

care to point out how Havana's doesn't have the list of qualities? Or have you actually made it in past the door? *Gasp* :D

5 nights a week??? I remember when my liver could take that kind of damage! Not any more though! think Havana's is definitely a place where you won't enjoy it being sober. Like nearly every cork club. Personally I'm past the time where I'd always be drunk by the time I'd reach the club.

As for making it past the door? Lol, cork's door policies are so inconsistent that they make me laugh! I don't tend to dress in a typical fashion, so I can have awful trouble at club doors sometimes, and other times have no hassle at all. It's strange really.

I blame it mostly to me drinking in Fred Zepplins most of the time, they don't ahve a door policy on clothes once they know you, so you can literally go out for a few on friday night in your trainers and what ever you wore around the house that day. I like this sometimes :)

5 nights a week??? I remember when my liver could take that kind of damage! Not any more though! think Havana's is definitely a place where you won't enjoy it being sober. Like nearly every cork club. Personally I'm past the time where I'd always be drunk by the time I'd reach the club.

Actually I rarely get drunk. I'll have on average 1 Pint and the rest of the night on a mineral. So believe me I know what most of the clubs in Cork are like sober.
    Your standards must not be up to much if you think the women are great in there

Actually they're quite nice. AS opposed to which other clubs? You see I like certain types of women. A bit of maturity is nice, and a bit of taste. Sure you get slappers in there, but you've said that you rarely go there, so how do you know that the women are that bad?

Regardless you still haven't pointed out to me a better alternative club, that contains what I listed.... Constructive criticism please, lol. (rather than shooting down everything, with no reasons/suggestions)

Class, people are arguing about the merits of Havannas.

For the record, I disagree with Klaz. The place is just plain awful. End of. Drunken blokes and oompa loompa faced ol dolls? Nah thansk.

Class, people are arguing about the merits of Havannas.

Actually I'm more arguing because I'd like to see him provide alternatives that are better than Havana's, and also say why Havana's doesn't have the above list, rather than shooting it down completely.

You see, I look at Cork as an outsider and Havana's & Club One are the closest thing to a proper night-club. Savoy can be included except more often than not its ticket based. As for the rest, my objections to them are listed above. I'd like to see people provide alternative places to go, if Havana's is so gaddamn awful that they won't go there.
    Drunken blokes and oompa loompa faced ol dolls?

I semi agree. But what club in Cork isn't full of them? Honestly which club?

I semi agree. But what club in Cork isn't full of them? Honestly which club?

Try Goldsoundz in the White Room in the Bodega on Friday nights ( i think that is still running). Good music, nice people (partly gay if that floats your boat), good athmosphere (I hate the word vibe, what does irt even mean?). People are well dressed, not completely p*ssed up, the talent is outstanding, and the venue is clean and savoury.

Freakscene has a good crowd as well for the most part.

Jam in Fast Eddies on Friday nights is beginning to get a very good, non fast eddies (to define a fast eddies crowd see above about Havannas and use the 18/19 y/o age group) type crowd. Good music, nice talent and a good lack of guys hunting in packs to find the drunkest girls in order to dry ride them.

If Havannas and One is the best you are finding, I seriously say try and branch out a bit more feen.

gimmick wrote:
    Try Goldsoundz in the White Room in the Bodega on Friday nights ( i think that is still running). Good music, nice people (partly gay if that floats your boat), good athmosphere (I hate the word vibe, what does irt even mean?). People are well dressed, not completely p*ssed up, the talent is outstanding, and the venue is clean and savoury.

Freakscene has a good crowd as well for the most part.

Jam in Fast Eddies on Friday nights is beginning to get a very good, non fast eddies (to define a fast eddies crowd see above about Havannas and use the 18/19 y/o age group) type crowd. Good music, nice talent and a good lack of guys hunting in packs to find the drunkest girls in order to dry ride them.

If Havannas and One is the best you are finding, I seriously say try and branch out a bit more feen.

I agree about Goldsounds, it's very nice, almost relaxed compared to the feeding frenzy that most cork clubs are like. Freakscene can be very good or very very bad depending on the night, and the talent can be very questionable. I avoid Fast Eddies like the plague, I've had nothing but bad nights there. Personally I prefer late bars like the Quad etc myself.

^^^

Absolutely. I would more often than not end up in the Quad/Brog (when its not absolutely jammers).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Corey92

Everyone in Cork City know Havana Brown's security team for being like border control! The amount of **** you have to go through to get in to the place is crazy and after all of the identification checking and talking they still say "No, sorry." The same carry on everytime. I've seen a party of people being rejected and I've a feeling many more people will agree with me here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement