Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 - 12 volt output card.

Options
  • 03-12-2004 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

i am looking for a card for my pc, that has a 1 - 12 volt output. i know they exist, but where?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much power / current does it need ?
    And is it variable voltage or several fixed ones.

So Soundblaster cards used to come with a DC card that connected to the 12V on a HDD power cable and dropped it to 3/4.5/6/9 V but only at about 1/2 amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

if i remember rightly ive seen something like what your lookin for in maplins ...im not to sure what type of card it is your lookin for but the one im on about fits into an empty pci slot and you plug in a 4 pin molex and the output is adjustable 1 to 12v 'I THINK" this would be to power the likes of external harddrives and so one ....not sure if this helps or is what your looking for ...if it is youll need to have a good psu ..the dc output is place on a rear pci plate "i think :D "
    it was maplins in blanch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dubdvd wrote:
    molex
    Couldn't remember the word - ta

one quick google later ...
    http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/vregtut/tutorial-full.html

AFAIK the LM317 also comes in a higher power version when attached to a proper heat sink can give several amps. - The LM317T listed only gets to 1.5A - and burns off the excess voltage so at 1V output you'd have 11Vx1.5A=16.5Watts of heat - so you would need something like one of the largest Pentium 1 Heat sinks with associated cooling fan (at a guess)

7805 7809 7812 - for search engines & so I can find this page later :D

Advertisement