Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ Harvey

Options
  • 08-05-2001 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Is she the best songwriter in the world. I feeel it is quite possible. Will Odham, Jeff Buckley and Tim Barman(dEUS) would be up there like but naw, im too into PJ at the moment to consider REAL alternatives.

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Surely Oldham is a better at songwriting than pj (and Vic Chesnutt is better than both).
    But yeah, she is a living legend.

However, I don't see why people continually rate jeff Buckley as a songwriter. He only ever produced one album, and he didn't even write any of the good songs on it. Yeah he had an amazing voice, but if he'd had another ten years, then maybe he'd have written some outstanding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Guh?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    1. Mojo Pin (Buckley/Lucas)
    2. Grace (Buckley/Lucas)
    3. Last Goodbye (Buckley)

4. Lilac Wine (Shelton)
    5. So Real (Buckley/Tighe)
    6. Hallelujah (Cohen)
    7. Lover, You Should've Come Over (Buckley)
    8. Corpus Christi Carol (Britten)
    9. Eternal Life (Buckley)
    10. Dream Brother (Buckley/Grondahl/Johnson)
    </font>

He didn't write any of the good songs on it? Are you sure?

I think the reason that people continually rate Jeff Buckley as a songwriter is because he put out more quality songs on one album that meant more to people that some artist's entire back catalogue. Quality, not quantity and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

I remember the day when Jeff Buckley's body was found. I was in Sydney at the time and Jane Gazow, a dj on Triple j, had just played Lilac Wine and she was almost in tears as she announced it. I'll always remember that.

I was packing tins of beans in Dunnes Stores in Donaghmeade when I heard Kurt Cobain died.
    When I got home that night, Dave Fanning was playing non stop Nirvana so I knew it was true.

But anyway, Polly Harvey RULES. She is also one of the very best live performers I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Ive yet to see her live which is a source of major concern for me and to be rectified given the slightest chance.

Never heard of Vic Chesnutt. (PHILLISTINE?)

Lover you should have come over means more to me than most any other song I've ver heard making Jeff Buckley a worthy contender for best songwriter.

My cousin shagged Jeff Buckley which is interesting even though I've only met my cousin twice as she lives in Aus.

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">He didn't write any of the good songs on it? Are you sure?</font>
    i said good songs and that's what i mean.
    the rest aren't bad, but they certainly don't amount to much more than a better than average debut album.

If you havn't heard any Vic Chesnutt, you should check him out. Alt county stylee, bit like smog. His "about to choke" album is one of the top 5 from the nineties imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Last Goodbye and Lover you Should Have come Over are amazing songs as are many of the songs written for the second album (released as sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk).

Vic Chesnutt's "Little" is much better than about to choke and al of his music is better tha polly harvey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

'Plants & Rags' on PJ Harvey's first album is one of the greatest songs ever.

Advertisement