Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped head light not working

Options
  • 03-12-2004 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

noticed the other evening that my dipped light (i.e. the one you normally have on driving around at night in a lit up area) on one side of the car was not working. So off I went and got a new set of bulbs and changed them, it still wasn't working so I switched around the fuses which yet again didn't help. Now I'm stumped, maybe the connector need to be cleaned or something, is it vaseline that I've seen people suggest put on the connector to improve things ?
    The parking light and full beams work fine as well as everything on the other side of the car, anyone any other suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

what kind of car is it??? my brother has a focus and something similar happened, it could be the relay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's a Fiat Bravo. I was thinking maybe the relay but I can't see why every other light work, if it was a relay would both the left and right hand side dipped lights be on the same one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i know with my bros focus there was a relay for both dips!!! the only other thing i can think of is maybe its the wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Have you tried putting the bulb you know is good onto the side you know is bad? It's rare but not unknown to get a bulb that fails straight out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I thought of that earlier today so I'll try it tomorrow when I can see what I'm doing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it a taxi by any chance? About 30% of taxis have one dodgy headlight, presumably from them screwing around with the wiring when connecting up the sign. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if all else fails rewire it from the batterey using the other side as a switch through a new relay. probably some water got in fiats arent very good for electrics. check the relay first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

did u handle the glass on the bulb when fitting it?
    all the haleogens fail if handled by the glass.
    simple suggestion but it could be the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Or just good ole-fashioned Italian electrics :D

Advertisement