Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2 euro transfer from Irish BSociety to Fr bank ?

Options
  • 03-12-2004 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I need to transfer a few thousand euro to a notaire's account in a French bank (balance for a house - will live on cornflakes from here on in !!). Except the EBS says its 'not a bank' and so can't provide bank drafts or IBAN facilities to help me (thanks!). Only way of doing this is to open a new bank account ??? Which I really don't want to do. The notaire in France requires 'cleared' funds which a cheque will not do - date for transfer is in one weeks time !!. I can't 'see the wood for the trees' here, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Find someone who can give you a reference to your / their local bank manager, show up with passport / utility bill (the more the better) and ask nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Could you ask a friend/relative with a bank account to do the transfer for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coaster

Tried all of the above lads - thanks a mill - but because of the obsession with moneylaundering - all my friends say they'll be quizzed and investigated as to where the lump sum appeared from !!. Turns out that opening a bank account to send the money electronically (IBAN) will take about 3 weeks by the time I'm vetted and the money 'made available' to me !. AKA - how long they can deposit it on money markets for a profit - maybe I'm too cynical :-). Still looking tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think anyone's going to get quizzed about a couple of grand 'appearing' in their bank accounts, providing they don't bring it in there as dirty banknotes in a Tesco bag. They'll assume it's just someone selling a car or something.

Keep trying. Find a relative who works in a bank somewhere in Ireland. You're not really asking for much. Providing you don't have a reputation as a criminal this stuff can be done. The banks don't have to lock up your couple of quid to make money. They can already use your money any time they need it, if you have it lodged in any type of account.

If all else fails and you know anyone at the EBS, ask to see if they can introduce you to the EBS's bank, whatever bank it is.

Also, try your employer. If it is a small company, there is a possibility that the boss might not be as paranoid as your friends.

EBS's bank, whatever bank it is.

AIB.

Anyway, what was said above is right - unless something, or someone, is particularily dodgy the bank won't bat an eyelid at a few grand being lodged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aingeal

As far as I know, Irish banks arent linked to French banks so they wont be able to put it into the notaires bank account there. You could try wiring him the money and he should get it within two days.

As far as I know, Irish banks arent linked to French banks

Not directly, but all bank accounts within the EU now have IBAN's (International Bank Account Numbers) to enable transfers. For countries within the euro, these transfers can now cost as little as a regular transfer from an Irish bank account to another Irish account. The IBAN makes the transfer procedure a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

If I was in your situtation, and my back was against the wall after trying all other options, I would look at getting a cheap flight to France and lodge it directly to their account. Don't know about the legalities of this but it could be feasible.

Advertisement