Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TwinMOS memory opinions?

Options
  • 03-12-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I was looking at komplett.ie the other day and they have a 1GB matched pair of DDR 3200 from TwinMOS for €150! Has anyone had any experience with memory from TwinMOS? How does it perform? Am I better off getting some Corsair Value Select or TwinX memory instead?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

looks good dont see anything wrong with it any problems with it anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've had TwinMOS memory in my last 2 builds, and have had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

What is the appeal of ultra low latency memory anyway? I've read in multiple magazines that the performance difference between low latency CAS 2.0 memory and standard CAS 3.0 memory is only 2% yet low latency memory can cost twice as much!

I think the entire Enthusiast Low Latency memory market nothing more than an artificial creation of the memory manufacturers (as opposed to higher speed memory which is useful in OCing i.e. DDR4000 vs. DDR3200). Fair play to them if they can get away with it, I think there's a certain segment of the market so obsessed with individual component speeds that they are blind to the actual performance gains such components provide.

It seems to me that you'd be far better off spending the difference on a faster GPU or CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i used twin mos building a pc for a mate, works like a dream the PC4300 mem, have it at about 470 mhz i tink, really nice ram

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've used twinmos on previous systems. Cheap and cheerful, not good for overclocking. Had to RMA a couple of the sticks as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Neuro wrote:
    What is the appeal of ultra low latency memory anyway? I've read in multiple magazines that the performance difference between low latency CAS 2.0 memory and standard CAS 3.0 memory is only 2% yet low latency memory can cost twice as much!

I think the entire Enthusiast Low Latency memory market nothing more than an artificial creation of the memory manufacturers (as opposed to higher speed memory which is useful in OCing i.e. DDR4000 vs. DDR3200). Fair play to them if they can get away with it, I think there's a certain segment of the market so obsessed with individual component speeds that they are blind to the actual performance gains such components provide.

Errr no.

It's the same with all performance hardware these days, everyone (enthusiasts that is) is trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of thier hardware. The memory you have picked No.1 doesn't clock well and No.2 doesn't have tight timings. For most people this is more than adequate it does exactly what it says on the tin. But when it comes down to an extra few fps on marks in 3d mark there is no doubt that tight timings and higher fsb will give you the edge and that enthusiasts are looking for. That said some systems are effected by timings more than others apparently the new A64 systems show significant increases in performance with tight timings where as P4's arn't as picky.
    Neuro wrote:
    It seems to me that you'd be far better off spending the difference on a faster GPU or CPU.

Thing is GPU and CPU's are exactly the same as memory in the price/performance range why spend another 200 euro on a chip which is 200mhz faster which equates to ~3/4% of an increase it just doesn't make sense to most people but again when it means it's your name on top of the 3D mark league it seems to be worth the expense to these people.

Point is you need to find your niche and get the best performance/price radio possible for the amount of money your willing to spend. Luckily for most of us overclocking has tipped the balance in our favour and now we can spend less and get MUCH more. So if your not overclocking ignore everything I just said but if you are do yourself a favour and pick up some GeiL value ram which will do reasonable timing with nice high bandwidth :D

Now back to praying that Santy will be shipping my pressy before Xmas...

270mhz @ 2-2-2-10 and warrenty up to 3.5V /me drools

Advertisement