Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

passport and license expiring.help!

• 03-12-2004 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

my passport runs out at the end of january, my provisional license runs out at the start of january.trouble is:
    1. im waitin for my test which should come thru sometime in january or february, what happens when the license runs out?will i be able to sit the test or will i have to re-apply for the license and miss the test costin me a fortune?

2. will i be able to use my passport or license after it runs out to fly over and back to england?
    any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

One they run out they are not valid and as such cannot be used.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

When are you flying to England?
    If you have 10 working days (I think) before going, then apply through their quick method, Passport Express
    You can apply for a passport before it runs out.

With regards to the driving licence, you Need it for your test, but the test date letter usually gives you about 4 weeks notice, unless you are waiting for a cancelation date. I know from some county councils, it only takes a week to get it, but if you get a letter with a date, go into them with the letter and they will probably do it and have it in the post the next day.

Watch out ofr the postal strike though!

Good luck with the test when you sit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭e38418

robo wrote:
    When are you flying to England?
    If you have 10 working days (I think) before going, then apply through their quick method, Passport Express
    You can apply for a passport before it runs out.

With regards to the driving licence, you Need it for your test, but the test date letter usually gives you about 4 weeks notice, unless you are waiting for a cancelation date. I know from some county councils, it only takes a week to get it, but if you get a letter with a date, go into them with the letter and they will probably do it and have it in the post the next day.

Watch out ofr the postal strike though!

Good luck with the test when you sit it.[/QUOT

only gonna be home for fortnight over xmas and wont be back then till easter,at college over here so not much i can do but re-apply i guess.thanx anyway :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

will i be able to use my passport or license after it runs out to fly over and back to england?

Of course not - it will no longer be a valid document. However, you can apply for and get a new passport before then. Your old one is cancelled and the new one is valid immediately. You don't have to wait till the old one actually expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Can you renew your passport *now*?

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/passports_and_visas/renewing_your_irish_passport.html
    This suggests using the Passport Express services - 10 working days. Must have Irish address. Phone number for Passport Office on the page - they'll know best.

http://www.donegal.ie/dcc/services/driverlic/drivinglicences.htm
    Donegal County Council info on driving licenses. You could also call the Driver Testing Section of Dept of Transport in Ballina wrt having license during test.
    LoCall: (1890) 40 60 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭jlang

Technically you don't need a passport to go to England, but it is a convenient form of ID to use at the airport. There are alternatives, but make sure you check with your airline that they'll accept what you plan to show. I remember Ryanair were criticised before for not accepting an out-of-date passport as valid ID. As someone above said, why not just get new ones?

will have to get new passport anyhow but with the license im pretty confident that ill pass,if the test that i have now been waitin eight months for comes so soon to my license expiring i was hoping there would be a way around having to get a new one again and changing the date of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Are you sure you can't get a passport from the Irish Consulate in London?

I renewed mine via the Consulate in New York just a few months back. Little or no hassle. Did everything over the post. Should be even easier from England, I'd think.

Also, why don't you do the English driving test? Isn't that easier?

Edit: Oops, that doesn't even vaguely address your problem. I thought you were stuck in England with no valid ID to get back home. Please ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

e38418 wrote:
    will have to get new passport anyhow but with the license im pretty confident that ill pass,if the test that i have now been waitin eight months for comes so soon to my license expiring i was hoping there would be a way around having to get a new one again and changing the date of the test

There is not. If you turn up for the test with a licence that is out of date, even by only 1 day the tester will refuse to test you and you will have to apply all over again.

cant get do the test here cos no car over here and no money,was chattin to tha mammy and shes sorting out the passport for me (what would i do without her?!) and askin for cancellatioon date for when im home at xmas so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement