Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign Films

• 03-12-2004 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Well this is my first post but i wont bore you with that! To be honest i havent seen millions of foreign films but i would have to say that most of them beat HollyWood films by a million miles. The only problem is that the world is ruled by the english language which pushes away any foreign films. If you take the oscars for example, basically it is a small mafia in the film industry. Its so obvious that some films should have won oscars and the one that you least expected wins. I look forward to going to the Irish Film Centre in temple bar to see some foreign films. If anybody has seen any of them maybe you could tell me if there is any good ones or even if there are any bad ones hehehe. I wanted to see the spanish movie called "Te doy mis ojos" but its finished now. Its funny actually because i was in spain awhile ago and it got great credit there but here they only give bad credit so it just goes to show. Ciao 4 no

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hilarious how Irish people refer to non-American films as "foreign" films. (Maybe you are American - in that case, sorry).

You can usually find a few playing at the local arthouse cinema at any time and it should be possible to find a video library that does more than just American blockbusters. I'm not going to give titles because there is such variety of stuff out there and I have no idea what kind of stuff you like. I think "Te doy mis ojos" got pretty good reviews here iirc - it probably depends on what paper/magazine you read. It was obviously going to get hyped up more in Spain, being Spanish and all.

As for the Oscars, forget about them. I don't think they have any credibility amongst people who take film seriously anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

simu wrote:
    Hilarious how Irish people refer to non-American films as "foreign" films. (Maybe you are American - in that case, sorry).

You can usually find a few playing at the local arthouse cinema at any time and it should be possible to find a video library that does more than just American blockbusters. I'm not going to give titles because there is such variety of stuff out there and I have no idea what kind of stuff you like. I think "Te doy mis ojos" got pretty good reviews here iirc - it probably depends on what paper/magazine you read. It was obviously going to get hyped up more in Spain, being Spanish and all.

for me, if they're "foreign language" then they equal "foreign" films too me, but thats just imo(the obvious exception are irish language films, simply for the fact that im irish, and live in ireland)
    snail, for arthouse/independent films in cinema's check out
    IFI , UGC & SCREEN
    for arthouse/independent film rentals, check out LASER in ranelagh or georges st. im running out of room here, more later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

simu wrote:
    As for the Oscars, forget about them. I don't think they have any credibility amongst people who take film seriously anymore.
    I used to think they were great but recently I'm coming to the opinion that they're not that credible. Although, i do still stay up to watch them cos' they are cool and a big deal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

Snail wrote:
    foreign films but i would have to say that most of them beat HollyWood films by a million miles. The only problem is that the world is ruled by the english language which pushes away any foreign films. If you take the oscars for example, basically it is a small mafia in the film industry. Its so obvious that some films should have won oscars and the one that you least expected wins.
    For me,as English is the only language that I speak fluently, "foreign film" means anything I need subtitles to understand.
    The success of independent movies and foreign films suggests to me that there are quite a lot of us who look beyond Hollywood for quality entertainment. Not too long ago, it was nearly impossible to find a foreign film at any cinema.
    I haven't watched the Academy Awards in years, it does seem like an exclusive society that rewards only its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement