Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer running slow

• 03-12-2004 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

My computer is running slow. I defaged and done all the usual stuff to clean files. I have Norton Anti Virus. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Johnnyghia

Have downloaded fresh virus definitions you might be infected or what about spyware. Download spybot search and destroy and run it also .
    Worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dubadub

Johnnyghia wrote:
    Have downloaded fresh virus definitions you might be infected or what about spyware. Download spybot search and destroy and run it also .
    Worth a shot
    I did that too. Used spybot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

make sure you have the latest defs for norton
    disable sys restore ( temporarily )
    click tools ->folder options-> in any window and set to view all file types
    do a full system scan

download spybot, and adaware - update both and do scans
    get cwshredder , update and scan
    ( all these are free- you'll have to google to find them though)
    you might also want to try stinger and sysclean

get hijack this and go to the computer cops website and post your log there and try to get one of the experts to examine it

make sure you dont have a huge file on your desktop or that you dont have something loading at startup which is hogging your resources - you can check but hitting crtl alt delete and then the processes tab - all the info is there

also make sure that your hard drive is not more than 85% full - this can slow sys performance

your problem is most likely spyware or a virus/worm or something - just a matter of finding it / getting the right package to sus it out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dubadub wrote:
    My computer is running slow. I defaged and done all the usual stuff to clean files. I have Norton Anti Virus. :mad:

Volunteerism
    dubadub wrote:
    Anther word for 'Slave Labour'
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2151520

And you want people to volunteer to help you ???
    Read the stickies and go back through recent threads -lots of things slow windows down inc. sp2

run chkdsk, exit windows and run memmaker, run sysedit and check the load= and run= lines in system.ini / win.ini, if you have more than 64MB of ram then create a ramdrive and set up your swap file there, move the icons out of your startup group, make sure smartdrv is loaded in autoexec.bat try win /d:t to see if it's any slower without the 386 extensions, is you BIOS set to run at compatible speed ?

since versions of windows (1.x/2.x/2.1/3.5/95-98-me/nt4/2k-xp) have more settings / folders incompatiabilites with each other than most versions of Linux its kinda important to state which version, the above tips may help with 3.0-3.11

capt midnight -
    1) sp2 is on my pc and it doesnt slow it down ( and apparently it's getting quite good reviews )
    2) apart from being aimed at XP any of the advice i gave is pretty good for xp / 98 /2000 / ME which i assume he's using ( perhaps im wrong here but if he's running 3.1 or something most people know that theres easier ways of speeding up ) - saying as you did that the above tips MAY help with 3.1 is an insult - these tips WILL help with basicaly any windows system after 98

3) some of the things you are talking about with reg to the win.ini file and autoexec.bat etc should only be atempted by a pro - which i assume if this person was he wouldnt be here asking this advice ( no offence dubadub)
    4) setting up a ramdrive ?? that's a bit OTT is it not ??
    5) i tackle slow running pc's all the time and the above advice is exactly what i do ( and it always works ) - so do you have a problem with people asking and giving advice on the boards - if so i'd like to hear it !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apologies for any offense bobmurphy the post was for the original poster in reply to double standards/trolling on the volunteeism forum. The poster wanted to dis volunteers and then askes them for help.

And the bit on Win 3.x is cos I'm just sick of the way M$ keep changing defaults /synthax/icons/names/interfaces/menus/adding,removing features/etc. while insisting that the whole point of windows is a consistant interface... /RANT

I've no problems with people asking for advice and have even given it once or twice.. ;) - at this stage there could be a sticky for "how to speed up / make windows more stable" for people who don't look beyond the first page on the forum - might save a lot of repeat threads. And a button to press to select which version(s) of windows are involved if an OS rather than an app problem, when clicking on new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

dubadub wrote:

What your Spec?

Apologies for any offense bobmurphy the post was for the original poster in reply to double standards/trolling on the volunteeism forum. The poster wanted to dis volunteers and then askes them for help.

hadnt quite read it that way .... anyway ... no worries

And the bit on Win 3.x is cos I'm just sick of the way M$ keep changing defaults /synthax/icons/names/interfaces/menus/adding,removing features/etc. while insisting that the whole point of windows is a consistant interface... /RANT

yes i agree ... but it doesnt shock me so much anymore that they're kinda useless ! -- i just expect it at this stage !

I've no problems with people asking for advice and have even given it once or twice.. ;) - at this stage there could be a sticky for "how to speed up / make windows more stable" for people who don't look beyond the first page on the forum - might save a lot of repeat threads. And a button to press to select which version(s) of windows are involved if an OS rather than an app problem, when clicking on new thread.

yes i suppose so

Advertisement