Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

musicians death most affected society at the time.

Options
  • 03-12-2004 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Yeah, in the pub the other nite and this topic came up - we had to pick our top three -
    i went with Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon, i was argued out of the latter as he was past his prime and the other two were just about to peak, anyone have anyother suggestions -

oh and mccartneys not dead yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Well, Cobain's death had a big effect on all the upper middle class white kids at my school... it made them all think that they had "pain" and "issues" and "anger".

(Sorry, I'm a bit grumpy this evening). But yes, Cobain's death had a pretty big impact on his fans, if nobody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

gonna say johnny cash, freddie mercury (i know, i know..) and jim morrison
    granted jim morrison died many years before i was born, but still. affected me deeply so 'did. really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

sorry, yeah..
    oh and mccartneys not dead yet!
    thus proving there is no justice in the world..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shug

Every Musicians death has some sort of impact even if it is only creates a slight ripple in the great pond of life.

Apart from McCartney, I'm waiting for knopfler to pop his clogs. We lose someone good such as cobain, cash, even john peel. And all were left with is mediocrity, cack pop, the fact that pink floyd still think there good, and over that we have knopfler still twanging crap god forsaken tunes that only the upper middle classes and the idle rich think are original.

Little known fact:

Dire straits Brothers in arms, one of the most succesfull albums of all times through CD sales alone. Why was this? why you say, was it great, was it the most radical piece of music ever made. No was it sloblocks, there was a copy of the CD given free with every CD player sold for four years from 1985 through to 1989. Every single CD player sold racked them up one CD sale anywhere in the world.

Anyway rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭maccamad

why such hatred for the man who wrote -
    the frogs chorus, mull of kytyre and silly love songs
    i mean -
    Helter skelter, live and let die and sgt. pepper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Buckley maybe?
    I dunno....
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Who cares what affect they had on society most of society are Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Joe Strummer is the only person I can think of, I wasnt a big Nirvana fan when Kurt died same goes for Buckley and Freddy Mercurys death was just funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i'd say mic cristopher as he had a lot to offer as he was only young ....... if glen chuffing hansard didnt go on about him so much .... oh and elliot smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

bandit wrote:
    Joe Strummer is the only person I can think of, I wasnt a big Nirvana fan when Kurt died same goes for Buckley and Freddy Mercurys death was just funny :D

Ya fecker!
    xm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LeonaK

John Lennon. Without a doubt. And don't argue with me because I'M RIGHT! Who said he was past his prime? Cobblers! He was NOT. Whoever said that obviously has never listened to Double Fantasy or Walls and Bridges. He had a lot more to say. Big loss to music and the peace movement. Past his prime? Spare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jehova

how can you say Merurys death was funny? Think of the suffering he went through in the final years of his life yet still managed 2 albums while on his deathbed. (taken Made in Heaven was some old stuff put in with the new)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

vibrant wrote:
    upper middle class white kids at my school...

Jesus, where did you go to school - South Central LA? Don't tell me you think you have to be poor and/or black to appreciate music or feel emotion?

Jehova wrote:
    how can you say Merurys death was funny? Think of the suffering he went through in the final years of his life QUOTE]

You answered your own question there.

In terms of Glen Hansard babbling on about Mic Christopher its because he killed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

jesus bandit, your out to get everyone arent you?

peepingtom wrote:
    jesus bandit, your out to get everyone arent you?

I get at myself at least 4 times a day so it evens out..

Advertisement