Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

own up if you hate.......... Coldplay!

Options
  • 09-05-2001 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

those guys are the worst radiohead ripoff, fake-angst, take-it-up-the-ass-from-the-music-industry, tossers yet.
    their first single was a (poor) radiohead ripoff
    the next was a poorly disguised van morrison take
    their singer once said he honestly believes they are "one of the top ten bands in the world"

can i assume i'm not alone in hating those guys?

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Coldplay are one of the best english bands to emerge in the last few years.
    Wtf are you on boddah? Radiohead and Van Morrison? go away.
    Who cares what they say about themselves, they released a great album smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I like coldplay and i dont give a **** if you think theyre crap, at the end of the day ill still be listening to them regardless of how you slag them smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I think Coldplay are good.
    I think Parachutes is a great album.
    Your assumption is wrong. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

wtf? Coldplay suck the ass, people!! listen to some original music; radiohead or the smashing pumpkins. it doesn't necxassarily have to be heavier than coldplay. and yes, that particular song is a van morrison ripoff.

come on, someone help me to slag these people off

sorry is i am insulting any of ye, but my purpose in life is to slag off the musical tastes of the people on these boards. dont take it personally

coldplay suck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Coldplay?
    'yellow' is a rip-off (and not a very good one) of a Doves song
    'trouble' is an aweful song

both songs are unbearably annoying to listen to

therfore coldplay are a crap band

headbanger.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

It's completly harmless pop so I personally don't give two ****s about the band.. anyone who does obviously have something stuck up their ass.

I've listened to the album a good few times at this stage and I quite like the last 3 or 4 tracks on the album.. they flow together quite nicely I feel.

I don't know where your getting your Van Morrison and Radiohead comparisons from, perhaps you could enlighten us?

my 2 cents:

I have a thing against them in the same way those others have a thing against lim bizkit or eminem; they are producing clichéd music, pretending to belong from a genre in which they dont belong (ie Radiohead ripoffs).
    Sure, it is only harmless pop but it is not good music and should not be passed off as good music. I also have a thing against britney spears, boybands etc. but thats too obvious to mention.

re. the comparisons:
    1) i heard what i thought was a radiohead track (an obscure one from pablo honey, forget the name) on 2fm a while back, thought "hmm, not like 2fm to play radiohead in the middle of the day". it wasn't radiohead. it was Yellow, by coldplay.

2) listen to Trouble by coldplay. the piano bit sounds *exactly* like the piano bit in "have i told you lately that i love you" by van morrison

Muppet. the singer sounds nothing like thom yorke, and the music isnt very like radioheads early stuff either.
    As to the assertion that the piano part of Trouble is like 'have i told you lately'. jesus, are you tone deaf?
    Back in your box please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Prof.Frink

I agree the lead singer sounds like his voice is breaking there Travis wannabes and they also try to be an inferior copy of Radiohead(not a band i listen to but like)
    Coldplay Are CRAP!!

Glaven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Everyband recently has had to copy another bands style of music for it is very hard to come up with a new style and Coldplay play the angst-style very well but in no way are they as good as The Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Brummers

How can you compare Coldplay to Radiohead ????? They are completely different ****in genres. How can talk about Parachuttes being a crap album ??

Also, although radiohead are a great band, they are not the happiest at the best of times, whereas songs such as 'Yellow' and 'Shiver' are uplifting. Would you care to enlighten us on your criticism ?

In a dark dark place, in a dark dark house, in a dark dark room, in a dark dark cupboard, in a dark dark shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Yep, Coldplay are s-h-i-t.

They are the musical equivalent of Friends. They have no originality, with everything they play simply being a watered down version of more successful bands. The only reason their album holds together is because it is incredibly well rehearsed - their is not a shred of innovation in a single note.

Yet having said all this, I am forced to admit that I quite like 'em. Same way as I enjoy McDonalds food from time to time. It's cack, but at the same time undemanding & (mostly) satisfying.

Coldplay are the perfect band to fall asleep to. Just don't try waking up to them!

Any band that met in UCL is doomed to failure in my opinion anyway. For one thing -they don't teach music there so the place is devoid of musicians. There's only a tiny university music scene, & it's all very un-happening. I'm surprised they made it as big as they have - especially considering that they went to Ramsay Hall...(you probably have to go to UCL to get that one).

*I have killed a man,
    a man who looked like me*

[This message has been edited by mrblue (edited 09-05-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:
    my 2 cents:

I have a thing against them in the same way those others have a thing against lim bizkit or eminem; they are producing clichéd music, pretending to belong from a genre in which they dont belong (ie Radiohead ripoffs).
    </font>

Cliched music?
    Pretending to belong to a genre in which they dont?? Its pop music mate, only person who is putting them in another category is you.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Sure, it is only harmless pop but it is not good music and should not be passed off as good music. I also have a thing against britney spears, boybands etc. but thats too obvious to mention.
    </font>

You say its ****e harmless pop yet then you yourself compare it to "good music".. Van Morrisson and Radiohead (not anybody else).
    Damn thats one solid argument, I for one can see no holes there... I give up.
    re. the comparisons:
    1) i heard what i thought was a radiohead track (an obscure one from pablo honey, forget the name) on 2fm a while back, thought "hmm, not like 2fm to play radiohead in the middle of the day". it wasn't radiohead. it was Yellow, by coldplay.
    </font>

I'll let people who know radiohead better than I do destroy that statement.
    2) listen to Trouble by coldplay. the piano bit sounds *exactly* like the piano bit in "have i told you lately that i love you" by van morrison
    </font>

Ahh right, a few seconds of a piano melody.. obviously they are trying to copy Van Morrison... by your logic I could say Depeche Mode are trying to rip off Pearl Jam as they use a similar sounding background tune in a song...
    ref: "Black" @ 1:46 -> "Home" @ 3:47

I'm not saying Coldplay are excellent or anything (very much average as far as im concerned) but perhaps you should go out and actually listen to Parachutes before you make ridiculous comments like these...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I like them in a sleepy-if-they-came-on-id-leave-it type way.

top 10 bands in the world me nads however.

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

you have to give some credit to coldplay, at least they are not a boy band (sheesh). so what if they dont play heavy guitar riffs and throw their long black hair up and down. they are still good and im going to enjoy watching them play live at Slane. :P

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Have to say.... I think Coldplay are alright, but good bands that go on about what a good band they are tend to just get annoying after a while..... anyone who feels the need to blown their own trumpet frequently of slag other artists is more interested in publicity than making decent music.

Nice album though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Whats with these stupid "own up if you hate....." threads?

anyway coldplay are good so shup.

Aka: Dragon,Sexual Harassment Panda, SCUMM.

ye're all bloody fools rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement

kali, wake up and smell the beans. evcerything i said holds up. its my opinion that coldplay suck, obviously many more here think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:

I've listened to the album a good few times at this stage and I quite like the last 3 or 4 tracks on the album.. they flow together quite nicely I feel.

</font>

I completely agree, plus its not like that make any outrageous statements that might incite ppl, ala RATM (who i like).

Pop is pop etc et al.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:
    kali, wake up and smell the beans. evcerything i said holds up. its my opinion that coldplay suck, obviously many more here think the same.
    </font>

I'm just picking holes in your argument and your opinion... and tbh its fairly easy to do so when you make no attempt to justify your claims.

plyd Kali, nice post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

i think this is another case of ppl concentrating on the things that happen around the band instead of the music. i have parachutes, i listen to it from time to time, especially if im a little bit stressed. it relaxes me. it is good music. it is well put together, very professional. yes they are unoriginal, and yes they do brag. i neither love them or hate them. they're completely inoffensive. why hate them? they'lll probably be forgotten in a few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Going by your reasoning of copying you could say that even the great Nirvana have ripped off another band. For those who know the guitar in "Smells like teen spirit" is the same as The Pixies "U Mass", even Kurt Cobain admited it and said he was trying to pull off the pixies and he ended up with Smells Like Teen Spirit. By your logic you could say that Nirvana are just ripping-off the Pixies and as such are $hite. Even the Beatles have ripped off Chuck Berry but that doesn't make them any less of a good band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Trouble is a great song imo, and my reasong is the fact that i love that song smile.gif I really dont give a **** if their trying to be radiohead or not. I like trouble and ill continue to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    I'm just picking holes in your argument and your opinion... and tbh its fairly easy to do so when you make no attempt to justify your claims.</font>

jeez, man, are you blind? dead the damn thread again!!

[This message has been edited by boddah (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Elvis is regarded as a musical great - FACT! Elvis didn't write his songs either - FACT! </font>
    i dont think elvis is so hot either tbh

OK lets disect this now!
    What is your problem with Limp Bizkit. </font>
    i never said i had a problem with limp bizkit. read my post again
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">First Coldplay Single = Shiver : That definitely doesn't sound like Radiohead.

Second Coldplay Single = Yellow: Van Morrison I don't think Van Morrison has ever written anything like that</font>
    that might be my mistake. i meant yellow sounds like radiohead, and shiver sounds like van morrison

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So what makes these bands so bad then? </font>
    no, its not marketing, the best bands in the world have to flaog their wares, its plageurism

[This message has been edited by boddah (edited 11-05-2001).]

Advertisement