Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getafe and shoe polish

• 03-12-2004 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I read about this on teletext the other night. The players of Getafe (promoted to La Primera Liga this season) are thinking of blackening their faces with shoe polish as an anti-racism demonstration for their next home game. Hard to say if it'll do any good or not but it's definitely strange. I wonder if they have any black players in the team?! Doubtful.

What do yis make of this?

Getafe players in ‘blackout’ mode to protest racism
    MADRID: Players with Spanish first division club Getafe could play their next match with blackened faces in a protest against racism, Spanish media reported on Wednesday.

Getafe president Angel Torres told Punto Radio that he would propose the “black-out” to his players ahead of the club's weekend fixture with Villareal.

The move follows racist chants hurled by Getafe supporters at Barcelona's Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o during a La Liga clash.

Torres put the disturbances down to “three or four crazy fans” he said he would ban from the ground if it was found out that they had season tickets.

“We reject racism and xenophobia and we will show it. I will propose to my players to paint their faces black for the next championship match which we play at home,” Torres said.

read article here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

im all for anti racist measures but this idea is completly stupid

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Black and White Minstrels are considered racist and offensive these days. What the players are doing isn't all that different...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Pretty silly idea as said by Zaph already, what they are doing in considered racist. Just think if people who had no idea what was going on switched on to a match with all the players done up like that. Wouldn't come across very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Makaveli wrote:
    Pretty silly idea as said by Zaph already, what they are doing in considered racist. Just think if people who had no idea what was going on switched on to a match with all the players done up like that. Wouldn't come across very well.

Actually they have a fe blck players, Kome springs to mind.
    And anyone who thinks it's offensive has some issues to sort out, serously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Afaik they have 1 black player.
    I'm not really sure why you quoted me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How is this offensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Everythings offensive these days but I reckon its not a good idea.

Advertisement