Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw polo wont bloody start??

Options
  • 03-12-2004 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Ya as the header goes ,every morning I go to start me polo it wont idle and just keeps konking out.Its a 98 vw polo 1.0l(the horror I know!)
    It usually splutters to life after about 5 or 6 turns and as once its warmed up it will run fine(idle perfect) and start on a six pence.
    I had the spark leads replaced not so long ago but not the plugs so could they be at fault??
    Going to get it serviced on Monday but if anybody has any pointers as to the problem it might mean the mechanic can't fill me full of sh*te and overcharge the hell out of me.
    cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Check that all the spark plugs work. Pull lead see if turn over is effected, if its working it will be, it its not then it won't be. Of course it could a bunch of other stuff. Does it have electronic fuel ignition?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I dont think that would asses the problem, like would'nt there be a big drop in preformance if one of the plugs was'nt sparking??
    I'll check it out in any case.
    Also when its been very cold overnight I have the biggest problem starting it, does cold weather affect sparkplugs??

What do you mean by "electronic fuel ignition" ,, did you mean electronic fuel injection?? If so it does'nt ,its got a carburetter(spelling??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its a 98 you have multi-point fuel injection surely?

http://www.gearwheelsmag.co.uk/archive/superminie_feature_01.htm
    This was improved a great deal by the introduction of a new all-aluminium engine with multi-point fuel injection in August 1996, taking the power output up from 45 to 50bhp, and making the Polo a much more eager and enjoyable car to drive. At the same time, the economy was improved. Around 44mpg should be attainable

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

sparkplugs are cheap , you should change them

Old plugs are probably covered with fungus :D

Some of the base models didn't fuel get injection AFAIK (yes it was a typo).

The problem is either fueling or ignition. So check al the easy stuff first. Plugs are cheap and could be carboned up. Dunno about fungus :D That it idles fines would suggest that its ignition rather than fueling . Assuming that you "know for sure" its idling fine. Checking an electronic ignition or even a carburettor and distributor is something I couldn't really tell you much about.

You should be getting good contact and spark in the distributor and the spark plugs if you check them. Other than that, fueling and timing is something I'd see a mechanic about. Since I know nowt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Temperature sensor (for the ECU) could be faulty. This could easily produce the type of cold starting symptoms you described.

BrianD3

There is no harm in changing plugs. Cold engine will flood much quicker on weak spark, engine will not idle correctly until plugs are warm enough to compensate for weak spark.

You always start with simple things before looking at sensors, ECU’s etc.

This is how people f3ck up cars simply by starting the job from the wrong end.

I seen some messed up cars. People taking out distributors, TPS sensors and other bits not related to actual . On the end it costs more money then it’s actually worth

Thanks for the suggestions ,I've got a feeling it could be the plugs(praying really)Gmodified what you described is exactly the symptoms I have(Engine is flooding I reckon). Hope to christ it is'nt the bloody ECU. Well the mechanic is gettin hold of it tomorrow so I'll let ye know how I get on!
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I've worked on a car recently with this problem. It was a 95 1.0L ibiza (very similar engine to yours). After checking numerous things out (including the plug leads). I discovered it was the rotor arm in the distributor was rotten (big hole in it). Hence, the spark couldn't make clean contact out to the distributor cap. When the weather was damp or wet, it was VERY tough to get going. May not be the same problem, but might be worth checking out. The symptoms on the Ibiza were exactly as you describe - once she got going for a few minutes, she was grand. The arm cost about €8 and the car starts perfectly now - don't you just love the cheap, simple and effective solutions :D

DC.

dcGT wrote:
    I've worked on a car recently with this problem. It was a 95 1.0L ibiza (very similar engine to yours). After checking numerous things out (including the plug leads). I discovered it was the rotor arm in the distributor was rotten (big hole in it). Hence, the spark couldn't make clean contact out to the distributor cap. When the weather was damp or wet, it was VERY tough to get going. May not be the same problem, but might be worth checking out. The symptoms on the Ibiza were exactly as you describe - once she got going for a few minutes, she was grand. The arm cost about €8 and the car starts perfectly now - don't you just love the cheap, simple and effective solutions :D

DC.

true , you always start looking at obvious things first:

as you have new cables would be wise to have look at spark plugs, rotor arm , distributor cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I've had the same problem, need to prime the ignition first to get it to start, I've also had intermittent problesm with the Lambda sensor and the pipe form the airfilter. It's a known problem with these cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Temperature sensor (for the ECU) could be faulty. This could easily produce the type of cold starting symptoms you described.

Bingo. I had the same problem with a Golf, and it was the temperature sensor.

dcGT you got a hole in one with ur diagnosis, damn rotor arm was wasted(never heard of that part before!)
    Heres the breakdown:
    Rotor Arm
    €4.75
    Distributor cap
    €10.85
    Spark plugs
    €18.40
    Oil Filter
    €7.92
    Oil
    €23 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    labour
    €60.00!(minus Vat ,,feicin pr*ck!)

Grand Total
    €141.78(inc Vat)

"don't you just love the cheap, simple and effective solutions "
    Yeah right!!
    Sound for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kavs wrote:
    dcGT you got a hole in one with ur diagnosis, damn rotor arm was wasted(never heard of that part before!)
    Heres the breakdown:
    Rotor Arm
    €4.75
    Distributor cap
    €10.85
    Spark plugs
    €18.40
    Oil Filter
    €7.92
    Oil
    labour

Grand Total
    €141.78(inc Vat)

Yeah right!!
    Sound for the help!

Did he not charge you for disposing of the old oil ?

Good call DC! :D

I had a suspicion it was ignition somewhere. Checking the spark is always a good first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Kavs wrote:
    Heres the breakdown:
    Rotor Arm
    €4.75
    Distributor cap
    €10.85
    Spark plugs
    €18.40
    Oil Filter
    €7.92
    Oil
    labour

Grand Total
    €141.78(inc Vat)

Yeah right!!
    Sound for the help!

That's great to hear Kavs. The price isn't so great, however :mad:

DC.

How much per hour is that labour?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at that list of jobs it is about €120 per hour or €60 per hour if the tea break is included!

Advertisement