Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish concert promoters ripping people off?

Options
  • 14-05-2001 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I think they are...wholesale! MCD and Ticketmaster are a bunch of ****ers. They bring slayer to the SFX and charge people around £25 per night. Then Bon Jovi last year in the RDS was something totally ridiculous like £40+ . This is unacceptable considering the amount of money made from such ventures. What about Witness, I hear this year if you get a ticket after June you maybe have to pay something like £70 for weekend+camping??? This is totally ****ed up, most people have come to accept it but if you look around, you will see that these greedy capitalist ****ers are ripping irish people off big-time.

A few little examples:
    Wacken 2000. I went to germany last year for this. After paying just £40 for my ticket I got the following:
    1. Camping from the monday afternoon anywhere on the camping grounds. Access to all areas on the festival grounds (except backstage of course)
    2. Headbangers ball every night from wednesday night - i.e. DJ's play the music we love for free and it goes on until 5am in the morning or something crazy.
    3. Cheap beer on the concert grounds from the tuesday
    4. Warm up parties with bandmembers on the thursday evening @headbangers ball
    5. Extra surprise gigs on thursday night with some cool Hard Rock bands (last year we had Krokus (original writers of american woman), Molly Hatchet and Company of Snakes(Whitesnake really)
    6. On friday all the stalls come in, main festival bands start after 1pm.
    7. On saturday the main festival bands continue, starting at 11am or so

...all for FORTY fukkin punt.

Another example, Emerald promotions (a small group of people dedicated to bringing Metal bands to Ireland) regularly bring bands over here from america/europe (sometimes to top-class venues like the music centre) and they never charge above £15. Believe me, if that was MCD we would be looking at around £20-25.

Another example, I went to see Iron Maiden in paris in 99 and I paid about £20 for the ticket. The venue was huge...I can say woth confidence that if MCD were behind it, it would have cost around £40 or maybe more!

Maybe now people have some idea of the extent to which we are being ripped off. Greed isn't nice at all...we shouldn't stand for it (and it's rather uneccessary taking the money generated and success of wacken into consideration).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

I agree totally, we are being severley rodgered up the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

70 quid for a 2-day ticket to witness?
    I'm going to reading, and it costs £110 for 3-days, and the line-up will be much much better( both in quality and quantity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm...

I wanted to go and see Zyklon when they were supporting Morbid Angel...
    The promoters wouldn't give Zyklon the amount of money they asked for, so they pulled out...

And the promoters wouldn't take a ticket back unless it was the main band that canceled... So, yeah... I'd say we'rte getting decently ****ered...

Advertisement