Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a crap country

• 03-12-2004 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

2 things - First this frives me crazy ! No adsl in half of the town of Rush . The lower half closer to the exchange has dsl but not the other. No sign of any provider, Donabate have wireless but oh no because half of rush have dsl no one is going to bother.......

My brother lives in Portugal , he just had his dsl line upgraded to 8megs and costs him 75 euro a month .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

lol

My friend in France got 5mb line for 30 a month + tv and phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

lol
    Bredsbandbolaget (Sweden) have lowered the price of 100Mbit/100Mbit fibre connection to €76.90 per month. But it comes with a catch!!!!!!!!! ;)

300GB per month cap :eek:

Excuse me while i go to my corner and cry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Jesus, we were thinking of buying in Rush. Can't believe half it doesn't have broadband. Which half you on about, is around the harbour affected (Tayleur's Point)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

lol
    Bredsbandbolaget (Sweden) have lowered the price of 100Mbit/100Mbit fibre connection to €76.90 per month. But it comes with a catch!!!!!!!!! ;)

didn't think they would start enforcing a cap. 300GB cap is is a lot better than 4GB or 8GB or 16GB here anyway but when you are on 100Mbit or 155Mbit connection one is capable of breaking 300GB very quickly technically speaking.

i am not against the actual cap sizes as much as i am against knowing that one has to check one is keeping under the limits in order to not getting charged extra per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

naitkris wrote:
    didn't think they would start enforcing a cap. 300GB cap is is a lot better than 4GB or 8GB or 16GB here anyway but when you are on 100Mbit or 155Mbit connection one is capable of breaking 300GB very quickly technically speaking.

i am not against the actual cap sizes as much as i am against knowing that one has to check one is keeping under the limits in order to not getting charged extra per month.

300gig a month on 100mbit is worthless
    i get 150 gigs + on 1mbit
    you would max out your limit in days, would be a disaster

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, has anyone ever come close to their upload cap or above it with Eircon/BT . Rumour has it that IOL's next idea for upgrading residential service is to supply SDSL next year. Not much point in having 512k upload though if it's not going to get used :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Just out of interest, has anyone ever come close to their upload cap or above it with Eircon/BT . Rumour has it that IOL's next idea for upgrading residential service is to supply SDSL next year. Not much point in having 512k upload though if it's not going to get used :confused:
    I've broken my upload cap a few times. Present month.
    ulysx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

IrishMike wrote:
    300gig a month on 100mbit is worthless
    Not really though... could you consistantly find 300gigs of stuff to download every month? Would you have enough space to do that?

The point of that kinda speed is just so you can get your data faster, i doubt anyone could find that much stuff every month to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

ull be surprised......

anyways with that speed u can be making some money by providing hosting....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ull be surprised......

I download ALOT on a very fast connection but id have trouble finding 300gigs of stuff every month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I can think of only a very small handful of things that would need more than 300gigs/month for personal use over a net connection. I'd be fairly sure you aren't doing any of those.

Sooner or later you'll realise that comparing bandwidth useage is just as thick as comparing dick size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Depends how big your dick is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's always the ones with the little dicks telling people size doesn't matter. ;)

but it really doesn't, you know. it doesn't matter at all. :o

does it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

lol

Excuse me while i go to my corner and cry :o
    Excellent, I'm moving to sweden next month.

http://www.bredband.com/se/content.jsp?t=2&s=3&m=302

Lucky you!!!! :D

By the way 100MBit is cheaper there than i thought.
    495 Kroner = €55.22

Not much more than i'm paying IOL now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

As definitions of "crap countries" go, "I can't get a fast enough connection, boo hoo" doesn't really stand up beside "I like to go and kill my neighbours" and other popular definitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭spuddy

8Mbit ADSL in France now for €14.90 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

http://www.bredband.com/se/content.jsp?t=2&s=3&m=302

Lucky you!!!! :D

By the way 100MBit is cheaper there than i thought.
    495 Kroner = €55.22

Not much more than i'm paying IOL now :rolleyes:
    I am sharing accomodation so probably the 100mbit will be needed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

bambam wrote:
    Jesus, we were thinking of buying in Rush. Can't believe half it doesn't have broadband. Which half you on about, is around the harbour affected (Tayleur's Point)?

Bambam I'd stay away from Rush if I were you .Yes the harbour end is not covered. The exchange is just before the spout road turn and the line only makes it up to the skerries road turn off . Rush is a kip you would be much better off in Skerries . Even very near the exchange at Rogerstown I know people on shared lines and they can't even get 2k down the line. Eircom say they only have to guarantee voice. What a ****em kip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Hmmm. Eirscum won't provide a proper service in an area so the area is a kip? Screwy logic tbh.

It will be a long time before good bandwith is available over phonelines in this country, probably never considering that by the time eircon can be bullied into bothering it will be obsolete technology anyway.

At the moment I would be more concerned about the chances of getting an alternative such as wireless or cable in an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

Well it's always been a kip so broadband or no broadband that won't change that . Well here we go again but on a different note.:) posted a registered letter to the UK on Thursday morning , no sign of it arriving on Monday or today so I tracked the package using the wonderful anpost tracking page. Says :

Item accepted Dec 02

Item despatched Dec 06

Wonder did it have a nice relaxing trip .... Jesus how can business survive in this county ?

So it's not just broadband that's slow in Rush the post is too !

Advertisement