Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Metal: Does It Inspire Killers ?

Options
  • 14-05-2001 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/documentaries/come_children.shtml

Interesting radio topic from BBC radio 1, discussing whether heavy metal inspires killers/psychopaths. Talks to Dave Mustaine, Dani Filth and others.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Ah, that is interesting.

In all fairness, they probably would.
    A lot of metal songs are about death, killing, murder, hell , satan etc, and these would interest violent people more than songs about love and puppies.

Dont know about heavy metal but i every hear Britney Spears i fell like killing sombody .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Just to clarify, I agree that its bulls hit, I don't believe that music can inspire someone to kill, unless they are already insane in the first place. I would agree that alot of killers probably listen to the more extreme ends of metal such as thrash/death /black/gore metal.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

...but then theres the varg/euronymous incident, and the church burnings....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Some of the nicest, most downright pleasant and sensitive people I know listen to black metal.

Some of the biggest cúnts I've ever had the misfortune to meet listen to Destiny's Child and Christina Aguilera.

Go figure, eh.

• Advertisement

I have just been reading from a metal forum where someone posted that he saw a crowdsurfer DIE at a dimmu borgir concert a few weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by --Kaiser--:
    I have just been reading from a metal forum where someone posted that he saw a crowdsurfer DIE at a dimmu borgir concert a few weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it.</font>

Holy ****, getting over that'd be seriously rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

its very easy to blame one source for a problem but you have to look at the bigger picture.

1. everyone has an opinion on everything regardless how small.

2. Peoples opinions are influenced by upbringing , schooling, tv , music and the media.

3. so it is just as easy to say that school has a negative effect on a person more than music does, as they spend most of there learning and developing life there.

4. Print media is still the most popular media so we should blame comic books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm after killing my best friend in an argument about women and money...

The music made me do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I'm telling ya... its those Goths.....

• Advertisement

Inspires people to kill?
    People that can be 'inspired' to kill by music are simply f*cked up, whos to know wether if they watched bugs bunny they could be inspired to murder.

I listen to lots of metal, but never has any metal song inspired me to any kind of violence.

However, listening to most pop/chart music inspires to all kinds of wicked deeds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

that whole idea of music inspiring violence is bullspit. if anytheing, it controls agression (through moshing, etc.) i agree with kaiser

although, having said that, Helter Skelter by the Beatles did inspire Charles Manson to go on a killing spree

Charle Manson = crazy man
    i rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Music or Lyrics are never going to inspire any right thinking person to kill someone. The real question should be do violent people and homicidal killers more likely to like Heavy Metal.
    Still a stupid question mind you.

Advertisement