Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last DVD(s) you bought...?

• 04-12-2004 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Idea is simple!

Name the last DVD (or couple of DVD's) you bought, description and also a price and you bought it if you like..

I'll start:

Back To The Future Trilogy (€29 in HMV)
    104634m.jpg

Girlfriend bought it for me while in Dublin yesterday. What a trilogy of films!

I've watched the 3 films hundreds a time as a child and they look amazing on DVD... no signs of imperfections / scratches anywhere. Transfer is so good on the original BTTF film that you would not think it's a film from the mid 80's... except the somewhat out-dated fashions etc. :)

Plenty of extras on the DVD... the best are on the first disc with audio commentary from director Robert Zemeckis and writer Bob Gale. Some good out-takes.. one great one of Michael J. Fox doing his best Scarface impersonation - 'look at that beetch, man.. she's cheating on me!'.. funny stuff!

Definantly a boxset worth getting!!

Little Britain - Series 1 (€17 approx. on Play.com)
    181889m.jpg

A great show and a great first season. Shame the second season wasn't near as good as the first, except for the last episode of series 2 (had some very funny stuff in it!)

Lots of extras - audio commentaries on each episode, making of, 45 minutes of deleted scenes, interviews, Best Of Rock Profiles and loads more.

The Office - Christmas Specials (€20 in Tesco)
    173779m.jpg

What can i say?.. 'The Office' truly delivered last Christmas with an amazing final two episodes.

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant deserve every award out there for writing this amazing comedy series.

Possibly the one comedy series with no bad episodes!

DVD is fairly sparse on extras... a decent audio commentary from Merchant and Gervais on Episode 2, full-length music videos for 'If You Don't Know me By Now' and 'Freelove Freeway', a reflection on the show from cast members and also a documentary shot at The Golden Globes.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OK, in keeping with that:

Alias - Season One + Season 2 (€19.95 each in Golden Discs)

B0000AVB6Y.02._PE60_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpgB0001XLYAQ.02._PE60_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Well they're still in their packaging, so I can't comment on them too much, but the show itself is superb. I'm hoping the DVDs live up to the standard set for them.

Before Sunrise + Before Sunset boxed set (approx. €23 at dvdsoon):
    (no pic availabe)

One of the movie highlights of 2004 is released on DVD along with its prequel, "Before Sunrise". Shot in real-time, with some superb acting. Alas, it's on order and I haven't received it yet but I hope this still counts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

mid_the_beyond.jpgmid_zombie_nosh.jpgmid_zombie_creeping_flesh.jpg
    all €6.99 each in tower records.

i love gore me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Red Dwarf Season V (Limited edition with Star Bug model)
    Price: £14.99/€21.65

Great season, first time I've seen holoship in years it's the only episode I never managed to catch when it was on TV. As a whole great season, teh Die-Cast model of Star Bug is cool and the packaging is numbered.

Great Buy for any Dwarf fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ixoy wrote:
    Alias - Season One + Season 2 (€19.95 each in Golden Discs)

B0000AVB6Y.02._PE60_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpgB0001XLYAQ.02._PE60_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Well they're still in their packaging, so I can't comment on them too much, but the show itself is superb. I'm hoping the DVDs live up to the standard set for them.

I too nabbed up those items a while back. I'm halfway through watching season 2, and while I've certainly my problems with the show, it's altogether quite excellent.

Recently, I got the new Bill Bailey DVD "Part Troll" and A Tale Of Two Sisters. Part Troll is absolutely fantastic, but I've only watch half an hour of A Tale Of Two Sisters, and my god, scary stuff altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Red Dwarf Season IV, bought it 2 days ago on Ebay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The question for me should be "Have you EVER bought a DVD - or for that matter a music CD" :o Blame the internet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Live Aid dvd last week , Its alright I kinda regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Willem D wrote:
    Live Aid dvd last week , Its alright I kinda regret it.
    Just as a matter of interest, how much did you get it for?

I know it's 4 discs but they're charging up on €55 for it in Tesco.

PS. I think everyone has bought one DVD on the spur of the moment that we regret..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

4 for €40 in virgin ROCKS!

The other day i got Leon, Darby O'Gill and theLittle People (scary sh!t), Dumb and Dumber (quality!) and Totally Bill Hicks (i'd never seen him before, thought he was excellent).

If anyone's into standup comedy i'd reccommend Jimmy Carr Live, i watched it the other night and i was in tears for the whole thing. one of my favourite jokes of his was

"My girlfriend wanted me tease her...... So i called her a fat bitch"

legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

basquille wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, how much did you get it for?

I know it's 4 discs but they're charging up on €55 for it in Tesco.

PS. I think everyone has bought one DVD on the spur of the moment that we regret..

It cost me 60 euros in Golden Discs on Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yesterday I picked up 3 DVD's:

1. Spaced (season 2) - 10 pounds
    2. League of Gentlemen (season 1) - 7 pounds
    3. Reefer Madness - 3 pounds

Twenty pounds total = twenty nine euros. Not a bad deal me thinks

All purchased in Fopp, Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Goodfellas:
    Got the special edition from play.com for about €24.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=174289

Description: It's Goodfellas. If you haven't seen it you're a total sap, also you're missing the best gangster film of all time. Start to finish it's just perfect.

Firefly (Complete Series):
    This was getting some phenomenally good geek press which tempted to me to borrow my mate's copy of it. After seeing a bit of it I just had to get my own copy for repeat viewing. There's four discs of utter delight there for only €29. You can't go wrong.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=search&r=R2&title=0&searchstring=firefly&searchtype=r2title&id=0&p=57&g=72&adudisc=y&who=&cpage=1&Cur=258

Description: Joss Whedon, the guy behind Buffy and Angel (neither of which I really got into) makes a Sci-Fi series. It gets canned after one season. This really is some of the best TV I've ever seen, they're making a movie called Serenity which I simply cannot wait for.

There's a space hooker in it. A space hooker! What more do you want? Hoooooooookers in space space space space space space space .

Anyway it's fúcking great. Go and buy it or I'll beat you up,

DapperGent wrote:
    It's Goodfellas. If you haven't seen it you're a total sap, also you're missing the best gangster film of all time. Start to finish it's just perfect.
    Agree! Definantly the best ganster film of all time... in my opinion, much much better than 'The Godfather'!
    DapperGent wrote:
    they're making a movie called Serenity which I simply cannot wait for.
    In case you didn't know, Serenity has been delayed - it was supposed to be released around April 2005 in US cinemas. But they've delayed it til September 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

I got the back to the future trilogy a couple of weeks ago off cdwow, best money I ever spent while the 3rd film isnt great the 1st 2 are just fantastic.

Shocking thing is I was talking to a couple of girls on my road who are 12/13 and have never heard of back to the future and looked totally puzzled as my kids love that film and are raving about it even the 3 year old and thats how conversation came up!!

Imagine having not heard of or seen back to the future!! Its a different generation alright!

last film I bought was x-men 2 as saw x-men which quite enjoyed but this was using an old pigasback €10 cdwow voucher I had burning a whole in my pocket so was only €2.99!

samo wrote:
    I got the back to the future trilogy a couple of weeks ago off cdwow, best money I ever spent while the 3rd film isnt great the 1st 2 are just fantastic.
    I think all 3 are great films in their own right. The 1st one is definately the best though. The 3rd one has a lot more humour than the previous 2.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

bought the batman collection in london on dvd, for £14.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

1. Band of Brothers
    Had only ever heard good things about this HBO series yet shamefully I never saw it when it aired originally! I've been waiting for the price to fall before I indulged. The tin edition was always a bit pricey so this version for £29.99 on Play (€43 approx.) was a happier purchase!

2. The Office - Complete Box Set
    Again really only watched sporadically but was really pleased when I saw this complete boxset including the entire series and the Christmas specials! Again £29.99 on Play.

The above will all be watched over the Christmas, especially after seeing the lacklustre seasonal TV schedule for this year! :)

Straw Dogs

Picked it up for 9euro in HMV. I havent got around to watching it yet.

Does anyone know if Golden Discs have any more copies of Alias at 20euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No idea, Darko... But you should give it a shot quickly, it's well worth it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Does anyone know if Golden Discs have any more copies of Alias at 20euro?
    The Grafton Street branch had a fair few last week of both seasons. Give it a look.

• Advertisement

Ill have a look tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

gremlins 8.99 euro from hmv blanchardstown
    tron special edition, blade runner:directors cut, clerks(r1), requiem for a dream(r2/4)
    second hand for 25 euro

shipping from play.com. the prisoner: complete box set(34.99 sterling)
    on pre-order from play.com. zatoichi: collectors edition(23.99 sterling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Live Aid - Region 1 from CD-WOW €24 (Chrissie pressie for a mate)

House of Flying Daggers - Region 3 from CD-WOW ~ €10 (excellent film)

On the way

Badder Santa unrated - Region 1 from DVD Soon ~ €19

Spiderman 2 - Region 3 from CD-Wow ~ €11.50

The Bourne Supremacy - Region 3 from CD-Wow ~ €13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Have had to curtail my dvd buying in the run up to Christmas. Have to leave some things for people to buy me!
    So, i just bought a few bargains from DVDsoon :

Bladerunner Directors Cut $6.98 CAD (€4.30)
    The Devils Backbone $6.98 CAD (€4.30)
    The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion Edition $16.98 CAD (€10.65)

Edit : Bah, now i just bought the Before Sunrise boxset that was mentioned earlier in this thread from Dvdsoon also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Just ordered these DVDs on Play.com:
    Return of the King(2004) - EE Giftset(5 Discs)
    King Kong(1933)
    Ross Noble: Unrealtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Easy rider £5.35 in Virgin with student discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Family Guy season 3 box set, €20 preowned in GAME. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

got the dirty harry box set for a christmas present yesterday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I bought The Wicker Man and Miller's Crossing (both director's cuts) from play.com. Arrived on Friday. Got two for €22 I think. Two of my favourite films.

B00005UL6G.02._PE68_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00008RWW5.02._PE55_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Picked up Korean film The Isle for only €4.80 on cdwow/hk.
    We'll all know Asians are rather quite people but come up with some bizarre
    ideas for films. But after watching this and Old Boy I've come to the conclusion that the Koreans are the most mentally disturbed race in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

the japs are more distrurbed,
    Honest!

last dvd (set) i got was rahxephon
    Full Metal Alchmist is next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

I am big into Asian movies currently, and just got a big shipment with the following:

The Classic
    Guns and Talks
    New Police Story
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
    Infernal Affairs
    Ditto
    Il Mare
    One Fine Spring Day
    Take care of my Cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

Arrested Development - Season One
    Very Highly Recommended, best US show since South Park in my opinion.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've been taking it easy on my DVD purchases recently... as I've pretty much run out of space... I need to buy a new storage deely soon...

But about 2 weeks ago I picked up a copy of Bottle Rocket just to complete my Wes Anderson collection. I think it was only €10 in that video shop in town with the big evil eyes painted on the window...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

The Office Christmas Specials
    Ricky Gervais Live 2: Politics

next up is Red Dwarf V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Play have been kind to me..
    In the past few days:
    King Kong (1933)
    King Kong (1976)
    Forgotten Silver (R1)
    Ewok Adventure / Caravan of Courage (R1)

Also bought National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation to get myself in a festive mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I recently got Citizen Kane & Ghostworld for a mere E10 each at Subcity, Galweh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It's his sled from when he was a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The goonies (R1). That was ages ago. Next will be ROTK extended edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got the Goonies DVD not too long ago as well... it was great to finally be able to see the giant squid.... but what about all that swearing and drug references?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Tommy Tiernan's 'Cracked' dvd - it's a present - feel like keeping it for myself though =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

bought the evil dead trilogy from play for about €20 a couple of weeks ago.

not really buying anything right now because people know what dvd's i want and i should get a few for christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Audition and Versus a few weeks ago.
    Haven't watched them yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Babylon series 1-4, pirates of the Carribean

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got the Goonies DVD not too long ago as well... it was great to finally be able to see the giant squid.... but what about all that swearing and drug references?

After seeing it I'm glad they left the giant squid out of it. However think the scene with sloth and the convenience store scenes were funny enough to be left in.

As for the swearing and drug references, they don't make family films like they used to, do they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

House of flying Daggers
    Clerks (tenth anniversary)

Got Arrested Development season one for 20 euro.
    I also got the 5 dic Return of the King with Minith Tirith statue, not sure of the price as its a present from santa. :D

Advertisement