Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox speed tweak

• 04-12-2004 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Anyone used this before? I doubt it would make much difference to me, as I'm on a god dammed 33.6k connection (for now)....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmm, strange they're advertising it as a "patch" when it's just a configuration settings change. The change is documented here, probably safer than getting a "patch" off an undocumented site:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#oth_rendering

In particular you want "Enable Pipelining".

It doesn't make a huge difference to speed btw, I'd imagine if it did it'd be enabled by default. There are complains of compatibility issues with old servers/proxies etc. but I've never had a problem with it (then again I always forget to enable it).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It look like it is designed to speed up a web page by downloading components in parallel. If you have excess bandwidth and the server is limiting each connection to 64K then it might be worth looking at. But you problem is you have no bandwith to begin with and at a guess it might even slow some sites because of the more data would need to be exchanged to keep the whole thing in synch.

if you try it then look at
    switch-proxy-tool - so you can setup serveral proxies to see which works best you can change proxy instantly

image-show-hide - might speed up things if you don't download images.

Also the ususal re malware/spyware etc.
    and adblock is a must - saves tonnes of bandwidth and desktop area.

Advertisement