Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting your own hair

• 04-12-2004 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Right, I have really thick hair, and so when its even quite short it looks alot longer than it is. I have a style that definetly suits me but it needs my hair to be short. Im sick of waiting 4 weeks to go to the barber. Why? Because after the 2nd week my hair is too long for my 'style' and it looks a mess. Why dont I just go every 2 weeks? Cause it costs money, and cause my barber is a total witch, she allways has something to moan at me about, like "your getting your hair cut again? Its hardly long your just wasting my time" so I'd just love for the opportunity to save her the hassle :D

Anyway, when I go to the barber I usualy get a 1 back and sides, and cut short on top. Last time I went she insisted on using the electirc razor on top aswell to save time, so for experimental sake and to shut the cow up I said yeah, twas a bit short for my likeing but not bad all the same, then I realised it would be easy enough if it can all be done using a electic clippers. So a 1 back and sides and a 6(?) top. Cant be that hard can it? But im still afraid of bottling it completely.

Any lads out there cut their own hair? My mates offered but not a chance Id let them at me with a razor, id just be asking for it.

I imagine the hard part would be blending the sides and top. But since my hair style is sort of a messy-spikey on top style any small mistakes are not noticable.

Any tips?

(Yeah bugger off, im into my hair a bit much I agree :P )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah I gave up on my adiction to short haircuts in the barbers every 2 weeks and switched to an electric shaver. I do 1 on sides 4 on top and blend it with the other numbers. Saves me €300+ a year on cuts.

I use 2 mirrors to see what I'm doing at the back. It takes getting used to but it gets easier. Shaver cost ya 25 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I only ever went to the barbers once in my life ...when I was about 12. A relation, by marriage, was a barber so he used to cut our hair when we were young. And then I went for about 8 years without cutting my hair. And when I got around to cutting it, I didn't want to give a barber the pleasure of cutting it (that's how they get major job satisfaction...when a long haired goon comes in and says "Cut it all off!")

But anyway, I cut it meself, and have ever since. 'Tis really easy. I normally go for a 3 blade. Do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

I usually cut my own. I got fed up of paying a fortune for a cut only for it to grow into a mess after two weeks. It's the wavy-wiry-mess-type hair.
    Sharza- wrote:
    I imagine the hard part would be blending the sides and top. But since my hair style is sort of a messy-spikey on top style any small mistakes are not noticable.
    To save the hassle I usually just do a #2 all round. I still haven't mastered the 'blending'.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would but I don't like the "blade x" cut. I'd still like to be able to have my hair medium length all the time though. Even when I go to the barbers and ask for "don't take much off, just thin it out", they end up taking loads off and it looks well stupid for about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    My wife is a hairdresser and always at this time off year somebody gets one for christmas
    and makes a balls off there hair my sister inlaw last year f***ed up a friends hair and my wife was called out at 11 in the night to fix it up he looked like he had a fight with a tom cat? . If i were you change your style or pay to have it done every 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Stark wrote:
    I would but I don't like the "blade x" cut. I'd still like to be able to have my hair medium length all the time though. Even when I go to the barbers and ask for "don't take much off, just thin it out", they end up taking loads off and it looks well stupid for about 2 weeks.

Same thing happens to me every time. Its like they can't help themselves, greedy bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i cut my own hair nearly every week.Although i have a 1 all over.you wouldnt believe the amount of money you'll save. Also, there is never that space of time where your hair is too long for your liking. It can just be cut.As for difficulty, its not hard. The First few times will be kinda iffy but you soon realise that even if something does go wrong, it will grow back in a few days.Is almost impossible to do something wrong with a blade though.
    I wouldnt recommend doing anything with the scissors.It A LOT harder than it looks. I tried to cut my friends hair and getting it straight was too difficult. It was like that episode in father ted where he keeps tapping the car to get rid of a dent.He ended up with a sort of wave effect!
    A one on the sides is no problem. Same with the six. Give it a go anyway. See if your one of your friends has a clippers and try it once, and then it if works get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I used to cut my own hair. The shaver came with a video, so I found out how to "blend" with that(there's "hair lines" on both sides of your head. If you do it correctly, no-one knows :)). I did a 3 on top, and a 1 on the sides.

I've since quit doing that tho. I now use a razor blade, and shave my head every 3 or 5 days :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I hate hairdressers. They have no concept of what an "inch" is. They always take about a foot off.
    I'm growing my hair long anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I cut my own with a razor.

POS:
    Zero money to pay.
    Can do it every week if ya want.
    Can do it the way YOU want it.

CONS:
    Takes a bit to master it.

Defo worth doing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I used to never do it until I started shaving my own head cos I got pissed off trying to manage my hair cos it grows like a fricken blonde afro..... so now I just run a razor over it once a week...... works for me.... haven't shaved in over a week & it looks just well wierd....

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I couldn't cut my own hair, it's not shaved anywhere, so I'd screw it up. I only get it cut every few months anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Every week I do a 1 all over it's just simple and hassle free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Its a different story just doing a 1 all over, thats simple. He wants to do 6 on top and a 1 short back and sides. I wouldnt risk that, probably end up ruining it. It would take ages too id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Milkman

Pish Posh
    Its easy to cut your own hair with a clippers, no matter what size blade.
    I don't bother going to the barbers/hairdressers anymore because everytime I did I'd have to tidy up hairs that they missed....

It takes 10 minutes, but does take a bit of getting used to with a mirror- you'd be surprised...
    Its like shaving in the shower without a mirror.... better shave and no you don't cut yourself - you'd be surprised how well you know your own face if you just close your eyes and give it a try.

Give it a bash.... you'll be pleasantly surprised
    M.

Ye but I heard everyone laughs at your haircut behind your back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i used to have long hair down to my shoulders then got a pain in my ass with it and got a blade 2 all over

that was 5 years ago and ive kept it the same way since...last year i got a remington clippers for about 30 yo yos and now do the job myself every few weeks...its a piece of piss although i do have to get the girlfriend to get the bits at the back...

its hassle free...saves me cash and means i avoid the usual barber's conversation....."so any holidays planned this year?......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Milkman

Wah-Wah-Wah

Ahh bush I was waiting for that :-)

Ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I have never cut my own hair. My girlfriend offers to do it for me. I didn't get it cut for about a year and a half because I was too lazy to, and by THAT stage I wasn't going to attempt to do it myself.
    I might've done it back when I got blades, seems worth the initial investment rather than forking out every so often, but not now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

ven0m wrote:
    I used to never do it until I started shaving my own head cos I got pissed off trying to manage my hair cos it grows like a fricken blonde afro..... so now I just run a razor over it once a week...... works for me.... haven't shaved in over a week & it looks just well wierd....
    0_0

You stole my life

Advertisement