Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloaded this month?

• 04-12-2004 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Been busy downloading 5 gigs and rising fast havnt turned pc off since wedneday anybody higher?.
    Damn cap is gonna raped again in a week damn eircon. 8 gigs just aint enough I think 100gigs a month would be fair for a cap.lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

I think cap is good to keep those w@rez monkeys in their cage and stop them taking over the bandwidth so ordinary joe can enjoy their broadband too. Remember they pay too. 8 gigs is enough for avearage day to day web stuff. You go over you pay so live with it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

what do you be downloading and where do you be downloading from? pm me if its against charter to say here:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

jb123 hes calling u a war@z monkey what u going 2 do about it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

lomb wrote:
    jb123 hes calling u a war@z monkey what u going 2 do about it? :p

No offence jb, I said those w@rez monkeys not pointing at you :D
    we know there are maaaaaany :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A 512/128 DSL connection has a theoretical maximum download of under 160Gb per month based on ideal performance 24/7 (which will never happen). Given that most people with these products are on a contention ratio of 48-1, if everyone on these services abused them there would only be 4Gb a month available full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

A 512/128 DSL connection has a theoretical maximum download of under 160Gb per month based on ideal performance 24/7 (which will never happen). Given that most people with these products are on a contention ratio of 48-1, if everyone on these services abused them there would only be 4Gb a month available full stop.
    Not exactly, you do know the meaning of the word backhaul and I'm sure you realise the backhaul is more then 512Kbps so 4GB each is not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ha, I normally download about 30 gigs a month... maybe more if I try. I have a PC under my bed that I control over the network using VNC, it's left on 24/7.... unless I have company ;)

However I'm not on a capped connection and I am in the UK

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Not exactly, you do know the meaning of the word backhaul and I'm sure you realise the backhaul is more then 512Kbps so 4GB each is not correct.

Leeroy is right. Backhaul that you're so fond of is irrelevant. What's relevant is the contention ratio - 48:1. 48 customers per 512kbit segment of bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I suppose I have a life or something, but how the **** can you guys find 30Gb of even vaguely interesting stuff to download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

it's not that much when you take into account Webpages, any daft movie you down load to have a look at... I down load mostly films/tv shows... i haven't watched half of them though.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

hmmm.... me thinks somebody needs to use bittorrent more, ie Blaster99.

You could download 100 gigs easy in a month of sites like someplace. Just for the w@rez monkeys though... ;-)

elvis2002 banned for a few days for mentioning a warez site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Hey! What about fansubs? They're not w@rez.
    Granted, they're usually downloaded off w@rez sites....

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

IM no warez monkey lol.I do a lot of streaming and downloading streetracing and drift vids+legal mp3.Im just saying that it possible to max out 8 gig cap in a matter of days.
    When are eircon going to up the damn cap.If eircon decide to back charge 4 cap abuse im so screwed lol.
    Iv seen stats on some sites of guys downloading like a tera byte a month.That would be a better cap hehe a Tera byte cap and a 10meg line for chrismas plz eircom. Christmas 2040 is what im aiming 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

I'm a monkey if that counts! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

vaguely interesting stuff used to be readily available from www.sharingthegroove.org, until it closed down :( I used to regualarly get 50gb+ a month from there. It used to be a forum/bittorrent tracker for legal bootlegs. You could get live audio AND video performances, meaning it was well easy to download 8gb a month... thats only 2 live video peformances!

But since that lclosed down, my downloading has dropped considarably. But www.antsmarching.org has now come to my attention, and with about 200 live flac/shn performances of Dave Matthews Band, i'm once again downloading like a warez monkey! So much to listen to :p

www.radiohub.org is another such site, for radiohead related audio/video. Its a must use for fans.

If you search, there are plenty of legal places to get 100's of gigs of stuff, you just have to look.

But since that lclosed down, my downloading has dropped considarably. But www.antsmarching.org has now come to my attention, and with about 200 live flac/shn performances of Dave Matthews Band, i'm once again downloading like a warez monkey! So much to listen to :p

Are you just downloading this for the sake of downloading them or do you actually like DMB? I personally think they are great. I don't like the way files are so big through antsmarching though.

cormie wrote:
    Are you just downloading this for the sake of downloading them or do you actually like DMB? I personally think they are great. I don't like the way files are so big through antsmarching though.
    I'm not gonna download em all, but i'm going to definately take the best shows from each year. I've gotten some from 1990 (the earliest they have) and some of it is pretty damn good.

Fine, the size is pretty large, but since i'm uncapped, i don't care. I'm getting some music that is impossible to get in shops or anywhere else for that matter! And since i think DMB is pretty good, i might as well download it! I don't think their planning a tour through ireland anytime soon, so this is my only oppertunity to experience their live performances. I'll probably only take about 20 shows in total (unless he's more amazing than i expect :p), but those 20 shows will probably be over 8gigs in size... more than enough to break eircoms cap, and thats just the DMB downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Moriarty wrote:
    What's relevant is the contention ratio - 48:1. 48 customers per 512kbit segment of bandwidth.
    So how come I can get 50Kb speeds for hours on end, the other 48 die?

I don't think their planning a tour through ireland anytime soon, so this is my only oppertunity to experience their live performances.

yeah, what a pitty, I await the day I see dmb on ticketmaster.ie !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yes, they're obviously dead or incapacitated in some form or another. Otherwise why aren't they stuck to their computer downloading ****e all day long?

Originally Posted by Moriarty
    What's relevant is the contention ratio - 48:1. 48 customers per 512kbit segment of bandwidth.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    Yes, they're obviously dead or incapacitated in some form or another. Otherwise why aren't they stuck to their computer downloading ****e all day long?
    Obviously they are... :p Are you telling me that none of the (possible) 47 other people downloading from your 512kbit segment of bandwidth ever download at the same time as you?

Cos all it would take would be 3 of those people to slow it to a crawl. Even one other person would make a sizeable dent in your downloading speed. The fact is that practically every person i remember posting about eircoms download speed (and others) says that its about 55kb/sec rock solid. It makes you wonder whats really being contended, as opposed to what people think is being contended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/contention.asp

I see in this article that even our electricity has a contention ratio :eek:

Just as well eircon are not involved with ESB then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Well thats it again got up this morning checked DU meter im at 8.27 gigs.Think ill run it up 2 10gigs then stop.Currant file being downloaded is 2.25gb will be fiished after lunch.Damn it only the 5th and no cap left. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I'm at 1.3 gigs on the 8 gig a month product. Normally I keep within the 8 gig limit but this month could be different..

It's like being on 56k all over again. Only now its 'god damn i'm using too much, better stop. mod for a game? can't get that' whereas before it was 'can't stay online too long, phone bill will be high'

Argh :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Get irishbroadband (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/ripwave.htm)

30 yoyos for unlimited downloading and they don't care what sites you download off (Not that I or anybody else downloads unsavory content)

Obviously they are... :p Are you telling me that none of the (possible) 47 other people downloading from your 512kbit segment of bandwidth ever download at the same time as you?

Cos all it would take would be 3 of those people to slow it to a crawl. Even one other person would make a sizeable dent in your downloading speed. The fact is that practically every person i remember posting about eircoms download speed (and others) says that its about 55kb/sec rock solid. It makes you wonder whats really being contended, as opposed to what people think is being contended.

You may not notice contention because it's never pure 48:1 contention. The lowest it would actually be is something like 192:4 and usually much higher. The more the numbers go up, the less you'll notice contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think it's 48 per 2 Mbits(for eircom)

Seven Worlds will Collide

I don't think so Ei2JC. Are you just guessing or do you know something I don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

........Yes but it's Classified !!!!!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement