Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumers' Section/forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can I take the Admins not replying to mean this is not a runner...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Muck wrote:
    I would favour this approach...and a sticky or two of the FAQ sort.

Askabout Money went sub only last time I looked so it is no longer as convenient for the quick question every now n then .

M

Small clarification - Askaboutmoney.com is not a subscription site. It was & continues to be completely free. We recently had to restrict posting to registered users (like most boards.ie forums) to prevent some spamming problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can I take the Admins not replying to mean this is not a runner...?

I'd imagine you can take it to mean they just haven't got round to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

There is a Forum Suggestions forum...

CuLT wrote:
    There is a Forum Suggestions forum...

I know...its in there aswell,but it was suggested to me to post it in here as more people read this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

RainyDay wrote:
    Small clarification - Askaboutmoney.com is not a subscription site. It was & continues to be completely free. We recently had to restrict posting to registered users

Yes .

Non of the fora now allow unregistered users to post while most of the fora on Boards are the same.

My original suggestion was for a forum that was a tad like the way askaboutmoney was and not the was it has recently become. The PI Board is like that .

M

Muck wrote:
    My original suggestion was for a forum that was a tad like the way askaboutmoney was and not the was it has recently become.
    We (the mods over at askaboutmoney.com) would be interested in any feedback you have on the recent change. Feel free to post your feedback here, or over there or PM me.

We should not have to go to askaboutmoney or anywere else,I think we need a Consumers forum here.

^bump^

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If the Comsumers Association Of Ireland wanted a hosted forum and were willing to interact with the users here, I'd be all on for that. I'm a little bit wary of just setting up such a forum and allowing the armchair experts to tell everyone what they THINK their rights are...

What you think Dub13?

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    If the Comsumers Association Of Ireland wanted a hosted forum and were willing to interact with the users here, I'd be all on for that. I'm a little bit wary of just setting up such a forum and allowing the armchair experts to tell everyone what they THINK their rights are...
    The CAI should have done this years ago Dev, and had they done so then the AAM crowd would never have felt the need to start their own Board to do what the CAI _should_ be doing .

I have a feeling the CAI want people to buy their publications but thats it.

M

I am not sure if they would go for it DeV as they allready man phonelines and I could see a new forum being very busy.But I could not be sure as I am just a member I have nothing to do with the running of the CAI.

As for the the armchair experts telling people there rights....I would see it more as people sharing there experiences both good and bad.It would have to be very well moderated but I think it could work.But at the end of the day you are the Boss man...LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dahamsta wrote:
    This was a major concern of mine when I was discussing setting up a consumer forum for comms issues with a certain IOFFL character.

Who would that be now ? ;)
    The telcowatch domain name is still resting on it's laurels somewhere. :)

I still believe TelcoWatch is a good idea and I wish I had the time to go with it. Just not enough hours in the day these days.

DeVore wrote:

Years after the IrelandOffline forum was set up ComReg created their consumer interaction website - AskComReg.ie. If we had waited for ComReg to answer the need of the consumer I think we'd still be waiting.

There is a clear need for a forum like this and since there doesn't seem to be any other place about in the online space for this, why not have boards host it ? It will be another way to add to the quality of this website and should bring in even more members.

I can understand the worry about the armchair pundits, but the IrelandOffline forum got those too and after a while the regulars educated themselves to the real facts and the bull wasn't tolerated. Nowadays the IrelandOffline forum has an impressive array of quality posters who know everything about anything in the telco arena. This happened as a result of the posters educating themselves and each other as the forum matured, granted there were some that were experts before they happened upon the forum but I think there are a lot more who have become experts as a direct result of the forum.

I think there may be some people posting bull to start with but I think the community here will make sure that the advice is correct and soon enough you'll see the consumer affairs novices grow into experts and make a valuable contribution to this community.

damien.m wrote:
    I can understand the worry about the armchair pundits, but the IrelandOffline forum got those too and after a while the regulars educated themselves to the real facts and the bull wasn't tolerated. Nowadays the IrelandOffline forum has an impressive array of quality posters who know everything about anything in the telco arena. This happened as a result of the posters educating themselves and each other as the forum matured, granted there were some that were experts before they happened upon the forum but I think there are a lot more who have become experts as a direct result of the forum.
    That description applies almost exactly to how things developed over at askaboutmoney.com too, which now has an impressive array of quality posters (both finance professionals and enthusiastic amatuers like me) who know everything about anything in the personal finance arena. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't apply to the consumer protection arena also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I also believe with a bit of work, this could go down extremely well.
    does anybody know how to contact someone in the CAI.
    I love listening to the guy who appears on 98fm on wednesday evenings.
    Was kinda thinking not to ask them to mod on a daily basis, but even if they could put someone there for a type of Q&A once or twice a week, would be great.
    I understand that they don't have the finances to get this going themselves, but this could be a way for them to go.
    as for the knowledge.
    I have seen people in boards, talking about chemical reactions and whatnot, there must be registered users here who have the knowledge required for this forum aswell.
    I know a fair bit about Consumer Law, but I would not feel myself confident enough to Mod this.
    but if you should be short of people, I think I would volunteer, I at least know where to get the info if I don't know the answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For the record, I'd be happy to set up and host a forum like this free of charge, and (co)moderate a comms section*. However, speaking from experience, there are two (particular) issues with this that should be noted:

a) It's quite possible that the lack of an existing community may hobble the site from the start. This is hard to call tbh, it could go both ways.

b) Moderation would have to be strict as hell to avoid legal threats.

(Technically, I'd simply set up a phpBB installation. If it was successful, I'd convert it to vBulletin and ask for donations for the licence. If they didn't come, I'd cover it myself, perhaps with a little bit of a whine. :))

adam

*The telcowatch domain(s?) could point there.

DeVore wrote:

What you think Dub13?

DeV.

DeV If you have no objections I can go to the CAI on behalf of Boards and see what they think of this idea...?I just want to clear it with you first as I don't want to act out of turn ( :D the poker player in me talking again).So what do you think...?

After 3 emails and no reply from the Comsumers Association Of Ireland I think we can take it that they are not keen on this idea.

Dub13 wrote:
    After 3 emails and no reply from the Comsumers Association Of Ireland I think we can take it that they are not keen on this idea.
    Or else they aren't very good at reading emails - Why not give Dermot Jewell a call?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

RainyDay wrote:
    Or else they aren't very good at reading emails - Why not give Dermot Jewell a call?

Agreed.

Jewell would be unwise to turn down this opportunity. However, he might need Boards.ie explained to him.

He didn't reply to my email either *sniff* *sniff*

I have a feeling the CAI want people to buy their publications but thats it.

RainyDay wrote:

Good idea....But I dont think it is my place to ring him up and offer the services of Boards

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Needs rethinking and a move away from CAI then. wouldnt Ripoff Ireland be a better place for people to learn their consumer rights? I know its perfectly aligned with their issue but lots of similarly tangental topics were broached under the IOFFL banner...

DeV.

I see your point DeV,but Rip of Ireland seems to be about prices and people giving out about lack of competition in certain markets.I think a Consumers forum would have a mutch wider remit with info on warranty,faulty goods,return polices,small clam's court and a big section with advice about buying over the net...also people could post about their positive customer service experiences (but how often do you hear good storeys these days).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm agreed with Mr. 13 there - it's a much wider issue than just pricing. I'd like to see a Consumer forum.

Dub13 wrote:
    Good idea....But I dont think it is my place to ring him up and offer the services of Boards
    I don't get it - Why would it be your place to offer this service to him by email, but not by phone?

RainyDay wrote:
    I don't get it - Why would it be your place to offer this service to him by email, but not by phone?

I sent the CAI an email and let them know that Boards were interested in hosting a Consumers forum in other words I ran an idea by them,now its not my place to start ringing them up and chasing them...I don't think the admins would even do this.

If they are not interested well its their loss,I think we should go ahead with it.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    I sent the CAI an email and let them know that Boards were interested in hosting a Consumers forum in other words I ran an idea by them,now its not my place to start ringing them up and chasing them...I don't think the admins would even do this.
    Just doesn't like you really care too much about this. If you want to make this happen, you'll have to really go after it. You'll have to make a persuasive case to them on the phone or in person as to why this is such a great idea. You'll have to find out who is on their council and lobby those guys too. You'll have to do some mock-ups of what it might look like. If you really, really care you can make this happen, but it will take a lot more than one email.

Advertisement