Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REM - reveal

Options
  • 11-05-2001 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

anyone heard it yet, I was told it was going to be very automatic for the people-like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I've been listening to it all weekend. It follows on from Up an awful lot. Which is a very good thing in my opinion. The album grows on you as you listen to it, at first it is blurry but the atmosphere of the songs almost "reveals" itself with continued listening.
    In summation, if you have given up on REM after New Adventures and Monster, then this is the album that will bring you back.
    I love it.

My Adolescent website:
    http://www.iol.net/~mullent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Anyone see their live concert on MTV saturday ? Anyone got it on video ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

It takes me two or three listens before i can actually form a truthful idea of what i think of an album, but this, so far, is very, very good. There are songs on it that, right now, swim around in my head, and i only bought it yesterday. Of course, i love REM, so maybe i'm biased.

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nard

just got it today myself ... after reading all the top reviews of it I just had to ...

and it does sound promising

... but as you said you gotta give an album time b4 u decide, or else the frames for the birds would have been relegated to the bin long ago! now i think its greeeeeeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Excelsior:

In summation, if you have given up on REM after New Adventures and Monster, then this is the album that will bring you back.

</font>

What was wrong with monster and new adventures? One wouldn't call them bad albums per sae.

New adventures was just very poorly marketed, REM admitted as much themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Looks like this record is a return to form for them.

Which is a good thing.

Aka: Dragon,Sexual Harassment Panda, SCUMM.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Excelsior:
    New Adventures is the best R.E.M. album in my opinion, and Up is incredible. But Nesf clearly, alot of people have forgotten about how good they are. That was all I was saying</font>

Agreed, the masses were lost, to a degree, when monster came out. The transition from easy-listening soft rock ballad type material to the rawer tracks on Monster wasn't appreciated by all. Did you see them at Landsdown Road a few years back? They are amazing live smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I got the album a few days ago myself and so far I must say it's excellent, although I've always been a big REM fan. It'll take a week or so to form a proper opinion but it's sounding good at the minute smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:
    Did you see them at Landsdown Road a few years back? They are amazing live smile.gif</font>

Yesssssssssss thats was class!!!
    i remember that concert really well felt great when the all the lights went on and the warm smell of cheap beer swept across everyone. I was up the front the whole of that concert. Its the end of the world as we know it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭syringe

On the subject of REM yer man came out officially there last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

New Adventures is the best R.E.M. album in my opinion, and Up is incredible. But Nesf clearly, alot of people have forgotten about how good they are. That was all I was saying

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gideon2000:
    Yesssssssssss thats was class!!!
    i remember that concert really well felt great when the all the lights went on and the warm smell of cheap beer swept across everyone. I was up the front the whole of that concert. Its the end of the world as we know it...

</font>

Best concert i was ever at. Man, when Whats The Frequency Kenneth cranked up, i wet my pants, (But only because i spilled my drink all over them) and the goodness continued throughout the night. Great day.

It rocked smile.gif

I was also near the barrier for all of it, I'm still amused by his dancing to "Finest Worksong" 2 encores aswell... ahhhhh, if only it was in cork though lol wink.gif

The Divine Comedy were suprisingly good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Monster was a very dull LP, except for "Let Me In" which is in my top ten REM songs.

That concert ruled. Much better than Slane a few years ago.

I particularly like Sweetness Follows for some reason. And that nice version of "Falls to Climb" from UP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I love it.

[/B]</font>

I thought new adventures was really good! and I'm not a big fan of R.E.M.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim Daniels:
    Monster was a very dull LP, except for "Let Me In" which is in my top ten REM songs.

That concert ruled. Much better than Slane a few years ago.

I particularly like Sweetness Follows for some reason. And that nice version of "Falls to Climb" from UP.
    </font>

Yes! Yes! Yes! Completely agree. The fact that they played Sweetness Follows and Fall On Me, as well as The End Of The World As We Know It as the final encore song, just made it for me.

Back to Reveal, my fave at the moment is the first one The Lifting. Really upbeat album.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

New adventures has to be the best REM album by far, ans thats not to say the other album's were bad, cause they weren't just new adventures is an incredible album

and Stipe came out years ago

Advertisement