Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I got a job (finally)

• 04-12-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

ok so I finished college in 2002 (with a degree in applied physics and electronics), couldn't find a job, went to live in the netherlands for nearly 2 years, couldn't get professional work over there or in germany (or at home). Im back exactly one year now and I finally have been offered a job in IT. So thats 3 years looking for work, I fell into the usual problem, no experience.
    Its not that I dont know the stuff, I am well skilled but it doesn't matter if you dont have experience you are just screwed. I mean 3 years is quite extreme to be unemployed, and through absolutely no fault of my own(apart from getting into IT/tech in the first place). I sent off thousands of cvs online and through the mail, only got 4 interviews and now my first offer.
    What i can't understand is all the talk I hear about 'there not being enough people doing IT in college and science in school', there simply are no jobs out there, it really sucks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First off nadir, congrats. That's great news. I'll hopefully be wrapping up my PhD in Physics/Elec Eng by June, and I'm not looking forward to job hunting at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I got a job 2 months after leaving college ;)

John

P.S. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got a reply from a company who was hiring 300 graduates this year
    Thank you for completing your application for the graduate programme at xxxxx

We have already received sufficient applications in relation to the number of
    opportunities we currently have. However, please complete the on-line tests and if
    you are successful, we will keep your application on hold until further
    opportunities arise.

Thank you for your interest in xxxxxx

I did the application form and online tests several weeks back straight after the visited my college. Wtf? Do they just look at the first 300 applications and that's it or what?

Luckily I have an interview with Banc of America securities next week, really hope that goes well. Have also been offered an interview with Accenture UK, but they're supposed to be bastards to work for.

Got a good few rejections even though I filled out good application forms and I'm a high 1H student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

congrats and hope it proves to be a great job for you, my sis had same prob, did applied sci in kevin street, couldnt get work and ended up getting job programming for the bundesbank and now a montesori teacher! mst have been hard though waiting that long for a job.

take care,

E.

Any time I hear the government trying to get more people into technology I think "w*nkers", there are **** all jobs, especially in Ireland. Points for computer science in UCC dropped to 300 the year before last and they're after dumbing down the course. Unfortunately that means the degree will get a bad rep and those of us who did the hard degree will suffer for it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Gav1n

Man! You guys are really inspiring me to finish college! :D

To Nadir: I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask you this, but would you mind telling us what kind of job you have an interview for?

And also to Dudara, have you got any idea what kinda work you'd like to get involved in after college? I ain't got a clue! I'm doing the same course as both of you guys, but have a feelin i'm gona end up an apprentice mechanic! Again! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

After 8 years in Physics, I'm seriously thinking of walking away from it. I love it to bits and I'm really glad I did it, but I will have to look to the future jobwise, and the best bets for me are probably in consultancy and/or finance. I also lecture part-time at the moment in the CIT but I really don't want to go permanently down the teaching route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Gav1n wrote:
    Man! You guys are really inspiring me to finish college! :D

To Nadir: I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask you this, but would you mind telling us what kind of job you have an interview for?

i got a job offer as a junior sys admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i did physics in dcu, and it has never done me any good getting a job :)

just not enough jobs for bomb makers in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nadir wrote:
    i got a job offer as a junior sys admin
    Take it. If you don't like it, quit after 6 months. 6 months is the minimum time for work experience.
    Stark wrote:
    Have also been offered an interview with Accenture UK, but they're supposed to be bastards to work for.
    Give it time, and you'll find a job. I apply for a load of jobs that I'm intrested in. If I get offered a job, I'll take it. Why? Because it sucks not having a job, and as I only apply for ones that I like, when I'm offered one, I know that I won't have any problems accepting it.

Also, why are they meant to be b*stards? And are you based in England, or did ye not see this link if you live in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I worked in a hell hole and our evil boss was delighted at the thought of taking on Accenture people as they would be used to being treated badly working 12 hours a day etc .. Overheard her talking to a manager after an interview and basically saying they wouldn't complain

Also, why are they meant to be b*stards? And are you based in England, or did ye not see this link if you live in Ireland?

I've just got offered an interview with Accenture Ireland and they're supposed to be grand, going to turn down the Accenture UK interview altogether I'd say, I couldn't be bothered travelling for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

its mad, I've just been offered a new job in Dublin, pays more than my first offer, think I'll take that instead. It's insane to get two offers in the space of a week after being unemployed for about a year.

I sometimes wonder if they're all watching each other, seeing who the other people are taking on, etc.

Many places have the same criteria for taking people too, so once you've mastered the formula for cracking one place, you've mastered them all.

Advertisement