Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Truck vs cars crash test

Options
  • 04-12-2004 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

Check out this crash test of a truck rear-ending a line of 6 cars at 70 km/h. The test is from the seventies and is about a 2 MB download. It's pretty scary to see the car at the end of the queue getting completely flattened. Admittedly, the car is a Citroen 2CV (not renowned for its passive safety) but still I'd say even a modern car wouldn't be in too good a shape after a crash like that.

Also, can anyone identify the make of all the cars in the line? Some are easy but I'm not sure about a couple. Footage is here:
    http://www.cats-citroen.net/images/photos/a/eend2.mpg

BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

That is seriously scary!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This is what happened when I hit a stationary truck side on when I would have been braking from 50, probably doing 25-30 at the time of impact.

There was a couple of scratches on the bumper of the truck and a broken light. Ironically, it was a breakdown truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

how did you hit a stationary truck side on?
    handbrake?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Came around a blind corner, narrow road, truck taking up 2/3 of the road width. I jammed on the brakes, locked up and went sideways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Robbo wrote:
    This is what happened when I hit a stationary truck side on when I would have been braking from 50, probably doing 25-30 at the time of impact.

There was a couple of scratches on the bumper of the truck and a broken light. Ironically, it was a breakdown truck.

looks like you hit the tuck in the corner where the front or break lights are yeah?

Were you speeding around a corner or somethin and the truck took you by surprise? i don't see that happenening if you can see the truck well in advance..

*edit* ok i didn't see your last post.. so no need to answer my question;)

*2nd edit* what's your insurance now by the way? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    can anyone identify the make of all the cars in the line?

I'll give it a try:

1. Citroen 2CV (nicknamed "eend" in Dutch, which means duck - hence the name of the clip
    2. VW Golf Mk I
    3. Talbot / Simca 1307
    4. Renault 14
    5. VW Beetle
    6. Ford Taunus/Cortina

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

unkel wrote:
    I'll give it a try:

1. Citroen 2CV (nicknamed "eend" in Dutch, which means duck - hence the name of the clip
    2. VW Golf Mk I
    3. Talbot / Simca 1307
    4. Renault 14
    5. VW Beetle
    6. Ford Taunus/Cortina

Pretty close unkel. You're spot on about the 2CV, R14 and Beetle. And No.3 is definitely some sort of Talbot/Sunbeam, not sure of the exact model myself so you're probably right.

No. 6 is a Ford Consul/Granada Mk1.

The one I had most problems identifying was No.2. I don't think it's a Golf Mk1 the back looks the wrong shape for a Golf. My first thought was it was an Innocenti or a maybe some kind of Yugo/Zavasta. But now I think it may be an early VW Polo - still not sure though.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm pretty sure car number two is a Peugeot 104, no its a Talbot Horizon or Sunbeam, no its a FSO, no its a Fiesta mk1. etc! :confused:

Mike.

BrianD3 wrote:
    No. 6 is a Ford Consul/Granada Mk1

Yep you're right. I was doubting between Granada and Taunus, but picked the wrong one :)
    BrianD3 wrote:
    The one I had most problems identifying was No.2. I don't think it's a Golf Mk1 the back looks the wrong shape for a Golf. My first thought was it was an Innocenti or a maybe some kind of Yugo/Zavasta. But now I think it may be an early VW Polo - still not sure though.

My initial thought was also Polo, but they didn't make them yet. Knew it wasn't a Golf, but had to put in something :)
    mike65 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure car number two is a Peugeot 104, no its a Talbot Horizon or Sunbeam, no its a FSO, no its a Fiesta mk1. etc! :confused:

Suddenly remembered today. It was quite a popular car at the time in the Netherlands. This is it, the Audi 50 :eek:

430010401.jpg

Interesting, unkel. I never heard of the Audi 50 before. Looks identical to the Mk1 Polo. Did it come out before the Polo (re: your comment that they didn't make the Polo yet)
    Mk1 Polo
    Polo_Mk1.jpg

• Advertisement

The Audi 50 (1974) was the same shell as VW Polo mk 1 but had better spec. The Polo arrived about 6 months latter and killed off the 50 (less than 150,000 sold) as it was cheaper.

(info nicked from various googled sourses)

http://www.geeforty.freeserve.co.uk/history/audi50.htm

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

**** that's scary. Its even more scary seeing as a drive a bike.......

It's all coming back to me now :)

I forgot that indeed the Mk 1 Polo was based on the Audi 50. I was mistakenly thinking of the '81 Polo (remember the funny hatchback) as the first Polo

The clip is too grainy to identify the car as either the Audi 50 or the Mk 1 Polo

Any background on the clip, BrianD3? The most modern car in the lineup seems to be the R14 *cough* that was introduced in '76

The angle of the hatchback and the position of the fuel flap on the rear three-quarter panel are to me identical to a 50/polo.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The angle of the hatchback and the position of the fuel flap on the rear three-quarter panel are to me identical to a 50/polo

Yep you could only distinguish between them by either the make/model tag on the back or the logo on the front afaik

Any background on the clip, BrianD3? The most modern car in the lineup seems to be the R14 *cough* that was introduced in '76
    I don't know - the commentary on the clip is in a langauage (German?) I don't understand so I don't really know anything about background. But i'm guessing from the cars used that it was made mid-late seventies.
    The angle of the hatchback and the position of the fuel flap on the rear three-quarter panel are to me identical to a 50/polo
    Yeah the angle is the same but I that's not a fuel cap on the rear pillar. I think it's a vent or some sort of "styling" feature. The fuel flap is just in front of the rear wheelarch, see the above pic of the Polo. Anyway I think we're all agreed now that the car in the clip is defeinitely a Polo or Audi 50 :)
    **** that's scary. Its even more scary seeing as a drive a bike.......
    I'd say you'd be better off on a bike than in a citroen 2CV in this type of accident. Anyone inside that 2CV (and to a lesser extent the Polo) would have been completely flattened. At least if you were on a bike you might possibly be thrown clear or else fall on the ground and have the truck pass over you.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

What are yiz talkin about thats not scary at all.............. but then maybe thats cos I drive a late 70s chevrolet G30 van (3350 kg) 5.7L V8. Now I know I can happily plough over a whole line up of crappy modded micras* ,puntos, pugs and the or maybe some overpriced lexus merc bmw made by robots for robots boredom boxes. Hmmm the carpark at cool nights maybe!!!????? Post your contributions for the 04 remake of this test ....what will make the unlucky 7 ????
    * M.I.C.R.A........Mum Insists Car Returned Allright.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :D:):):):D:D:D:D;)

Post your contributions for the 04 remake of this test ....what will make the unlucky 7 ????
    I propose 6 Chevy G30s vs one of these:
    aust0004.jpg

Advertisement