Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing Else Matters - S&M... What was the point?

Options
  • 16-05-2001 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

This was an arguement I had with a friend of mine the other day...

I said the that whole idea of S&M was to update the songs with an orchestra, and add something to them.
    My point being that nothing else matters already had an orchestra when it was first recorded.

Having this song on S&M seemed a bit pointless to me, as the orchestra added nothing to it.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

From memory I couldn't tell there was a difference but after listening to both the S&M version is far more orchestral...

The original didn't employ as many instruments as far as I can tell, the s&m version had violins etc going pretty much constantly. And the san francisco orchestra do make it sound nice and spiffy smile.gif

As to why they'd do it if there was little noticable difference, perhaps it was that song that inspired the s&m idea. Or maybe they felt that they couldn't leave it out as it was written with an orchestra in mind and felt it could be improved with a world class orchestra.

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'd have an argument as to whats the point of the album in the first place...
    metallica with a few violins in the background. its bloody hilarious, electric guitars rocking away and a barely audible orchestra in the background.
    quite possibly the funniest attempt at a serious record I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

Kali, many, many people would disagree with you. Sure, the orchestra was drowned out for some of the heavier parts, but what about gems such as Nothing Else Matters, no leaf clover and -human, which were written with the orchestra in mind?
    those are some damn beautiful songs....

Durty auld MORRIS drums...
    they're fu*kin' great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Get the DVD you can listen to the isolated orchestral track (and obviously watch the nice piccies) and very nice it is too biggrin.gif

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

yeah, this pub i go to in limerick is always playin s&m on the big screen. sound is turned off tho, dont know why....

Durty auld MORRIS drums...
    they're fu*kin' great!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

in gettin back to the original point....
    it was a concert and ppl wanted to hear it ...it would have been funny if metallica had said "well were not gonna play it cause it already had an orchestra" no actually it wouldnt be funny id be quite ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ah well I never bought s&m but I have some mp3's from the concert where the orchastra sounds pretty good ... same song tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StarScream:
    in gettin back to the original point....
    it was a concert and ppl wanted to hear it ...it would have been funny if metallica had said "well were not gonna play it cause it already had an orchestra" no actually it wouldnt be funny id be quite ****ed
    </font>

Who says they had to say a thing?
    They had many songs that were much better.
    And don't you think that, say, Fade To Black or Welcome Home (Sanitarium) would have benefited more from the orchestra, and gone down just as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Fade to Black would definately been brilliant had it been played with an orchetra on S&M, i can't believe they left it out

Advertisement