Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Afi

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Most of those are total rubbish "Gone with the Wind" - just mention that film and I feel sick and bored (at the same time!) Wiz of OZ......ye 6th greatest US movie ever, whatever :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Although I am only just 15 so I'm on track. Also, it's not as though I don't know of all (I do) and and don't want to see them. I'm content. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Most of them I'd have no intention of watching. Quite alot of musicals in there, I loathe musicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

36 and i'll echo Makaveli's senitments about musicals....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

62(Hah) though Its not a great list. and most of what I havent seen:snow white,west side story et al doesnt interest me in the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember seeing 41 and I have passed on the chance to see nearly every other film at least 10 times! Kinda boring predictable list tbh.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have seen 23 of them myself!

Some truly awful ones in there though that i'd have no intention of sitting down and watching!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

20, just because I saw easy rider 2 days ago. Not many comedies in there from the past 30 years.
    Edit
    http://www.ravecentral.com/afifunniest.html
    100 funniest movies
    Still no waynes world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I've seen 23 in their entirety. I've actually watched I'll guess another 15 only to stop watching midway through because I didn't like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

is there a bfi or ifi equivalent ?? thats a pretty crap list, the majority of those films dont interest me in the slightest

Blisterman wrote:
    Edit
    http://www.ravecentral.com/afifunniest.html
    100 funniest movies
    Still no waynes world.

Thats a pretty good list though I'd have to take issue with "Its a Mad...etc", "9-5" and "City Slickers". Also its a very US biased list. No Ealing or Boulting Brothers etc.

Now this is a quality list (except no 99!).

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Also its a very US biased list. No Ealing or Boulting Brothers etc.
    It's probably to do with the 'A' in AFI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Around 35 of them.

It's probably to do with the 'A' in AFI.

Not quite, well maybe! Is A Fish Called Wanda American? Perhaps it is.

edit/ maybe its not as its also in the BFI list!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

seen about 40 of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Around 48 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Em I counted 95 of them :rolleyes: and not quite sure about remaining 5

and 94 of IMDB list.

mike65 wrote:
    Not quite, well maybe! Is A Fish Called Wanda American? Perhaps it is.

edit/ maybe its not as its also in the BFI list!
    Well if you look at the review on imdb the person reviewing actually complains about this:
    Too Trans-Atlantic I was going to take issue with the IMDB classing this as an American movie but perhaps I shouldn`t . It is financed by American money , distributed by MGM and has both eyes on an American market ,two of the main protagonists are played by Americans while the two main British characters are played by John Cleese and Michael Palin who are well known in the States because of MONTY PYTHON
    Umm so I'd say it's classified as American by the USians and as Brit by the Brits. A pickle I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

80 of them for me. I have a number of embarassing gaps in there that I need to fill. Never seen Lawrence of Arabia or Raging Bull or The Graduate :o

Watching Dr Zhivago tomorrow as well.

Have to agree with some of the comments about the worth of such a list. Any list that puts The African Queen above Chinatown and about 50 other films that are way better than it isn't worth a damn in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

63, and theres only a few more id actually like to see..
    not a bad collection of movies for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Umm so I'd say it's classified as American by the USians and as Brit by the Brits. A pickle I'd say.

Interesting thing about A Fish Called Wanda.... never noticed that at all for some reason!

At the end of the day it is personal taste though at the end of the day, because you do not like musicals does not mean that they suck! I like the bfi list better but wanted to see what people thought about the list. There is a lot of movies that i need to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Seen 56. No Aliens? No Outlaw Josie Wales? (which just ended on TG4, I could watch it a million times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Raoul Duke wrote:
    80 of them for me. I have a number of embarassing gaps in there that I need to fill. Never seen Lawrence of Arabia or Raging Bull or The Graduate :o

Watching Dr Zhivago tomorrow as well.

Have to agree with some of the comments about the worth of such a list. Any list that puts The African Queen above Chinatown and about 50 other films that are way better than it isn't worth a damn in my books.
    The four you mention you haven't see are amazing films - see them at once! Though Dr. Zhivago is a much better book than film. At the same time, Julie Christie...aaaaaaaahhhhh, she is sooooooooo beautiful it hurts a little. There must be only 10 women a century to look like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

ionapaul wrote:
    The four you mention you haven't see are amazing films - see them at once! Though Dr. Zhivago is a much better book than film. At the same time, Julie Christie...aaaaaaaahhhhh, she is sooooooooo beautiful it hurts a little. There must be only 10 women a century to look like that.

Those films are always on tv as well, so I've no excuse for not watching them. I have a copy of Raging Bull that's been sitting there for ages. I've grown an aversion for a number of films that I've caught a few minutes of on tv. Those few minutes have usually bored me to tears and probably given me a false impression of the films. It doesn't help that they are very long movies as well. I'll take the plunge one of these days I suppose.

Advertisement