Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6630 feedback and thoughts

Options
  • 03-12-2004 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

I just bought one in the carphone warehouse in galway. I didnt expect to get the cradle with it!

Well happy

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I was in vodafone today and had a chance to play with 6630. Its better looking and smaller than in the pictures. They are bundling bluetooth headset and videostand for 169 if you sign up to 3G tariff.
    Does anyone know if videostand can be connected to charger and used as desktop charger?
    I have an upgrade so I think I'll get one tomorrow, don't know about the bundle though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am getting the 6630 tomorrow myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

richieg wrote:
    Does anyone know if videostand can be connected to charger and used as desktop charger?

it can - with a kind of pass-through wired connection to the phone power port - details in the user guide

I just bought one in the carphone warehouse in galway.

hi, can you go through what you got in the Vodafone sales pack... this is what Nokia have listed on their site for the 6630:
    - Nokia 6630 imaging smartphone
    - 64MB Reduced Sized MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) MU-1*
    - Adapter for normal size MMC slots
    - Nokia Stereo Headset HDS-3
    - Nokia Battery BL-5C
    - Nokia Travel Charger ACP-12
    - Nokia Connectivity Cable (USB) DKU-2
    - CD-ROM containing software and guides

so in the Voda pack V10 mentioned they added the:
    - Nokia Video Call Stand PT-8
    - Nokia Wireless Headset HDW-3

anything else / different?

Just after picking my 6630 up today, last 1 in shop.
    Camera looks excellect, great 6x zoom and fairly fluid movement. The more I look at it & use it the smaller it feels.
    I got phone, charger, stereo headphones, m/card, cable in the box
    The stand is bundled with it and I got a DVD player with it from c/phone warehouse in Galway. They sold their allocation this morning but I presume they are getting more in.
    Waiting for it to charge fully but looks the biz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

How much did you pay and what tarif are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

v10 wrote:
    The 6630 doesn't support video calling at all without the cradle. This is why Vodafone decided to bundle them.

I made a video call today and the person could see what my camera was displaying at there end, i could see there face (V980) and they saw what i pointed my camera at, i was pretty impressed!

And if you ring up vodafone they will give you 20mb free to use for the month at the moment if you tell them you bought a 3g phone!

I just bought a nokia 6630 and i already have a RS-MMC (128mb) but it wont work, Ive just found out that it wont support RS card unless they are DV RS MMC (dv = Dual voltage), Also from what ive found out from google they are only available upto 64mb and are extreamly had to get?

Can anyone confirm this? or does anyone know where to get a bigger card that will defo work in a 6630?

Otherwise this sucks áss...... Also anyone know where to get clip on covers for the phone yet?

Sean

Paid 169 myself in a Vodafone store.. Connected on a high tariff though.. I think its 239 connecting on Performer..

hi, can you go through what you got in the Vodafone sales pack... this is what Nokia have listed on their site for the 6630:
    - Nokia 6630 imaging smartphone
    - 64MB Reduced Sized MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) MU-1*
    - Adapter for normal size MMC slots
    - Nokia Stereo Headset HDS-3
    - Nokia Battery BL-5C
    - Nokia Travel Charger ACP-12
    - Nokia Connectivity Cable (USB) DKU-2
    - CD-ROM containing software and guides

so in the Voda pack V10 mentioned they added the:
    - Nokia Video Call Stand PT-8
    - Nokia Wireless Headset HDW-3

anything else / different?

The only difference is that you only get a 32mb media card..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

I've been following this issue for a while and it seems the newer dual-voltage RS-MMC cards are only coming onto the market now so expect to wait up to 2 months for all the online retailers to get stock.

This thread on eXpansys might be of interest to you. There are various threads on MobileBurn and AllAboutSymbian as well.

Also, be aware that these newer cards are supposed to be called DV-RS-MMC or, the more consumer friendly, "MMCmobile" :)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Do Vodafone heavily brand the firmware and cover of the Nokia 6630?

- Neil

There is a small Vodafone logo under the screen and on the rear The default theme is a vodafone one, his can be changed to an alternative theme very easily..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

How much is it if you connect to the bog basic non 3G tarif

Its 239 on performer..

I am on the active tarif and it cost 269 but I got the stand and DVD player. If you buy it @ 169 you have to stay on the high tariff for at least 6 months so it worked out cheaper going the way I went.
    I tried downloading movie trailer and footbal highlights and it worked great and quality is very good

ye, the quality is amazing, its free aswell, just dont forget to unsubscribe to everything in feb so they dont sting you? Anyone find anywhere that sells large
    DV RS MMC that actually work with the 6630? Ive filled the bloody 32mb already, the photos are 500kb each?

Sean

just trying out the Think Outside Bluetooth Keyboard with the 6630...

nokia_6630_think_outside_bt_kbd_devices.ie.jpg

some tweaking of the drivers is in order especially with initial setup, reconnecting and selection/highlighting - but the quick access commands, menu control and input are working pretty well

as the 6630 supports the HID profile it is also possible to connects up without Think Outside's drivers - this offers a basic degree of functionality including such as the alphabet, numbers and most symbols (can't get the Euro symbol to appear though...); Cut/Copy/Paste; PgUp/PgDn/Home/End - there is also some basic menu control - it's not as rich an experience as using the special Series 60 drivers Think Outside developed which allow for jumping between apps and better menu control etc.

Hey Dub, You might have an idea where to get a large DV RS MMC (256/512) Online?

Sean

a few announcements from manufacturers but lack of units actually shipping as yet... plenty of people looking for them alright (including myself :()

• Advertisement

My bluetooth headset (SE HBH-35) does not seem to work with the 6630. It disconnects 1-2 secs after connecting.
    It looks like I need to get a new one, any suggestions/recommendations?

can you go into a bit more detail about the disconnection - does it happen when you are initiating a call, receiving an incoming call, during a call, watching a video etc. or is it just doing it outside of an audio situaiton?

just tried it here with a SE HBM-30, and the audio will disconnect 1-2 seconds after an audio output finishes e.g. ending a call, or watching a movie as it starts the headset connects up plays the audio track and once finished the audio disconnects 1-2 seconds after

be sure to switch off Keypad Tones or it will drive you mad ;) and cause a load of needless connections

I deleted the pairing and recreated it but that did not help. I made sure the headset was fully charged and that did not help.
    Once I switch the headset on or the bluetooth on the phone on they both connect but disconnect 1-2 seconds later before I have a chance to do anything. The phone is in standby when this happens.

As far as i know, the headset will only connect when it needs to, when it disconnects on you the next time try and make a call and see if it reconnects?

Sean

yeah that's what happens to me - when there is no sound to be sent to the headset the audio connection will drop after a few seconds but the headset's Bluetooth connection stays active - indicated by the headset icon beside the Bluetooth icon on the home screen

nokia_6630_connected_bt_headset_devices.ie.jpg

on the next sound output from the phone or wake-up from the headset and the audio connection comes back to life - hence the need to turn off the keypad/warning tones (or it keeps reconnecting on every beep!)...

Thanks for the tip guys, I'll give it a try. Are you able to voice diall with this phone and what headsets are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmmm..me wants a new phone soon
    is the 6630 only a vodafone?

whats the sim free price of it cos I'm gonna change from o2 to meteor before i buy a new phone.

Sim free cost is pushing 800 euro on expansys...

• Advertisement

Picked up a Jabra BT250V from CPW yesterday and working well so far, great headset; light and very comfortable.
    Vibrtation is a bit weird though!!
    The nokia charger fits it as well so 1 less to carry around although the nokia 1 is rated as 5.7V output but the Jabra one is rated at 5V output. Could this cause harm to my headset so you think?

Advertisement