Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6630 feedback and thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No, the Smart people at jabra made them so they work with nokia chargers!

They are about €620 "sim free" in the carphone warehouse and they give you the stand with that, well actually they just give you a vodafone pack and tell you to get it unlocked........

sean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

any else experiencing this on the 6630:

1) Active 3G data session
    2) 3G connection lost, graceful fall back to 2.5G data session
    3) 3G connection re-established, data session is disconnected
    4) To use a data service again requires initiating a new connection, until the next cycle of the above

This is causing constant issues using the handset while on transport around Dublin, but it can also occur while the handset is in the same location...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ye, ive had this a few times around galway, also i get loads of "error in Connection" when trying to make phone calls in certain areas, A few mates who also have a 6630 also get the same thing, these are not video calls just regular voice calls. can be very annoying after the 3rd attempt and still no luck.

AND STILL NO BIGGER DV-RS-MMC's....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

can anyone post up any pics and/or a review for us?i was playin wit one in vodafone the other day and its so cool.the camra is real smooth 2.now im dyin to see the 902 and v800!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

• Advertisement

thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hey,

I got a 6630 recently, great fone i must say!, but i got a new MMC card for it and it won't work.
    poxy vodafone tell me that they won't offer any assistance cause I didn't buy the card with them, they dont even feckin sell them!!

the card works fine on my PC

Any help out there?? :confused:

Is the card formatted in the FAT16 file system?

I'm not sure about that,
    how can i check?
    on the pc??

If you're using Windows then open My Computer, right-click on the drive the flash card is mounted in and pick Properties. The file system will be listed there as either FAT, FAT32 or NTFS. It should be FAT.

If it isn't then you'll need to reformat the card in FAT. To do this right-click the drive and choose Format. Choose FAT from the File System box and click Start.

• Advertisement

thanks for this i will try,

just wondering if anyone is using one of these in a 6630, i have a 512mb card but heard a rumour that it might be too big for the fone??

That might be the problem. The biggest card I've seen for the Nokia 6230 is 256MB so maybe the phones are limited to that. I couldn't say what the maximum MMC size is for the 6630 though.

the 6630,unlike the 6230, uses a DUAL VOLTAGE REDUCED SIZE type mmc card.

There is no manufacturer other then Nokia that currently makes DV RS-MMC cards and the only size they make is the 64mb one. We probably wont see any bigger size ones until late Q1 '05.

Your card won't work because the 6630 uses a new dual voltage RS-MMC which have not be launched yet. Current RS-MMC cards don't work.
    There are plenty of posts on howardforums.com/series 60 or allaboutsymbian.com

21:15....21:16.
    ha i got there first!

Well this is f*ckin brilliant,
    There I go reading the manual, nothing about a dual voltage mmc, and go and but myself a nice card for d fone to see it dosent work.
    I even called the teck support from nokia and they didn't know about the dual voltage mmc.

Neone think i have any case against nokia for not divulging this important info before i splashed out on my now useless card?

they should be coming soon.its seriously stopped me from getting that fone tho.u shudda waited for the 902...its goin to be f**cking brilliant!u can always 14-day the 6630 if your not happy wit it.

bit late for the 14 day i'm adfraid,
    just a pity i didn't know about the dual voltage thing earlier,
    tis still a good fone, suppose i'll sell the card and wait for the new ones eh?

yeah,its a great phone.i had a good play with it and the camra is real smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

ive a 6630 too, class phone, shame about the cards, hopefully we'll start to see some soon...32mb just isnt enough!!

• Advertisement

32 MB is just not enough,
    And the strange thing is if you check nokia.ie or any other nokia site as far as i can see it says it comes with a 64mb card.
    are voda ripping us off or is it just me???.....
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

mik_da_man wrote:
    are voda ripping us off or is it just me???.....
    :confused:
    No, they are ripping everyone off. And seem to be the only people in Europe giving away the 32Mb cards.

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can't have mp3 ringtones on the vodafone 6630's, but you can with the generic models. Anyone trying this yet? Presumably it's so they can sell you overpriced, DRM riddled ringtones from Live! instead.

Is there anyway to restore the phone to the original firmware? I don't like they they've tinkered with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MrPinK wrote:
    No, they are ripping everyone off. And seem to be the only people in Europe giving away the 32Mb cards.

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can't have mp3 ringtones on the vodafone 6630's, but you can with the generic models. Anyone trying this yet? Presumably it's so they can sell you overpriced, DRM riddled ringtones from Live! instead.

Is there anyway to restore the phone to the original firmware? I don't like they they've tinkered with it at all.

Unfortunately they have restricted the ringtones so that you cannot use MP3s. Mind you, its only a minor grievance!!

To mik_da_man:

As for only providing 32mb of storage, this is the standard across their 3G range.. While the Nokia website states the phone is bundled with 64mb, it does also state that the video stand is a seperate accessory. So you are not doing so badly

Overall, the 6630 package on Vodafone is possibly one of the best value deals on a mobile phone that I have ever seen in this country. Especially when you throw in the Bluetooth headset..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Also, the phone only supports Dual Voltage RS-MMC cards..

dookie wrote:
    21:15....21:16.
    ha i got there first!

next time dookie...next time!!!!!

On the card front I think I read on some other forum that Pretec are supposed to have brought out a dual voltage card. Not sure how accurate this info is and I can't seem to find the link.

on the ringtone front
    neone kno if there is any way to get the MP3's to play?
    I don't want to pay voda over the odds or the privilage of a nice tone for my fone

erm, i think i wrote somethin about that in another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

my Martin Fields Overlay Plus for the 6630 arrived today - came to approx. Eur 9.00 when ordering from the the US store (shipped form Singapore)

includes a cut-to-measure protector for the front screen and a small round protector for the back camera lens
    http://www.doml.com/model.asp?model=nokia6630

p.s. for anyone who gets one, when applying have a clean fingers, a lint-free soft cloth (e.g. glasses cloth) and roll of scotch tape to hand (helps remove any dust that might appear while applying the protector)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I read a few post about pc suite not rrecogining phones. has anyone had the problem of the 6630 not being recognised by the softare they got with it when connected by the DKU 2 cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think there are additional drivers you need to install first and then PC Suite will recognise it.

Advertisement